• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why dont I see comic collectors on youtube ever discuss Manga comics and its always Marvel?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

I think one of the impediments for manga OA is the lack of material available for purchase. As some people have mentioned there is a tendency for artist not to sell pages. Which you might think would make it rarer and more valuable. But my impression is the market becomes so thin it's a pain to collect and kills the community. 

Anime art has seen a rise in interest in the last two years. E.g. Ghibli and DBZ cells have started bringing some very strong prices. 

Edited by The-Collector

On 2/5/2022 at 6:23 PM, Aaarrgghh! said:

Son you read the title of this thread and thought "I'm too stupid to use Google so I'll just give my opinion on something I know nothing about"? :censored: you!

there is so much to collect i have never heard and have zero interest to google any of it ... , people collect anything these days ... i dated a lady who had a house full of cow themed items , cow everything !! including her shower curtains.. i had zero interest in that stuff and never noticed how much of it was in the stores until i met her

so have at it !! whatever you want to collect it all good... just don't expect anybody to watch the videos......

I've never collected Manga and don't know too much about it. 

I can relate to @1950's war comics  because up until a few years ago, I had never heard of it either. I collect mostly GA and SA and I'm pretty disconnected from modern comics. 

With that said, it's pretty popular with kids these days. My 10 year old niece and her friends are really into it, which is how I learned about it.  My 9 year old son has allot of friends who like it and are getting really into anime in general.  So I think it has a good following and kids reading comics of any kind can only be good for the hobby. 

On 2/5/2022 at 6:15 PM, The-Collector said:

I think one of the impediments for manga OA is the lack of material available for purchase. As some people have mentioned there is a tendency for artist not to sell pages. Which you might think would make it rarer and more valuable. But my impression is the market becomes so thin it's a pain to collect and kills the community. 

We see the same for certain GA books as well. When that collectable market is so small, you cant build as much momentum. So in the same run/series the classic covers will go way up (cause there are so few available) while the non key issues will stagnate even though they are extremely rare in comparison to later comics.

My kids, ages 21 and 14, love manga so maybe it's a generational thing?

I don't have any interest in reading them and there are quite a few in the house.

Pokemon, Naruto, Soul Eater, My Hero Academia, Kingdom Hearts

I've bought many of these for my kids for X-Mas gifts over the years but that's the only reason why I know what they are. 

There are plenty of people discussing Manga.  
If you're wondering why the Marvel fans aren't discussing Manga, maybe ask them instead of asking the board members why, as if we have an answer for video creators' motives LOL