• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could X-Men 1 ever be a valuable collectible? 1991 issue
4 4

66 posts in this topic

On 2/7/2022 at 4:07 PM, ThothAmon said:

It’s peaked. I know that because I have at least 100 raw to grade. 

Dunno about peaked, but I think newcomers are definitely becoming aware of how readily available it is

I think these kinds of books are destined to be $50-100 CGC 9.8 slabs...The one X-Men #1 cover that I can see separating a bit is the Magneto cover that holds a poster with the 1st appearance of Omega Red. I can see the "1st appearance is a 1st appearance" crowd chasing that book if he shows up in a movie as a big bad...

On 2/7/2022 at 2:06 PM, 18-22 said:

Why's that?

^What he said.  Maybe a bit of nostalgia is present, but it was a huge book.  New xmen book back before titles were relaunched even 5 months, hot as fire artist, the whole blue team/yellow team thing, etc.  There was more than just speculation driving this book, and if I didn't already have a bunch, I'd definitely want one.

On 2/7/2022 at 6:42 PM, AGGIEZ said:

I think these kinds of books are destined to be $50-100 CGC 9.8 slabs...The one X-Men #1 cover that I can see separating a bit is the Magneto cover that holds a poster with the 1st appearance of Omega Red. I can see the "1st appearance is a 1st appearance" crowd chasing that book if he shows up in a movie as a big bad...

I think (and I could be wrong here) this is a great example as to why variant covers will never hold value in the long run. There are so many version of the book that it is hard to hone in on. Look at X-Men 11, it has more of a value over 1 for no real reason.

On 2/7/2022 at 5:46 PM, KCode98 said:

I think (and I could be wrong here) this is a great example as to why variant covers will never hold value in the long run. There are so many version of the book that it is hard to hone in on. Look at X-Men 11, it has more of a value over 1 for no real reason.

It's the 1st appearance of Hazard...(shrug)

On 2/7/2022 at 7:34 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Does it matter? It's a 1st appearance of a character that hasn't shown up in the MCU...speculator's dream

Really should have been in Deadpool 2

In the past, I would have said no. 

In today's environment, I would not be surprised if it blew up for a minute.  

After X-Force 1 and X-men 10, who knows. 

Someone mentioned the Omega Red thing.  I don't care for it, but that matters little.  

Patrick

Lots of nostalgia tied in with this book, for a lot of folks. Even with the millions printed, someone will always want them. I used to buy every copy I'd find for 50 cents or less, or I'd pay a buck if they were in particularly nice shape. A couple/few years later, now those same shops who were selling them for 50 cents are now asking $7-$10, even $15-$20. And someone is buying them! So, I will keep buying them if I find them for a buck or less, because it's apparently still worthwhile to do so.

On 2/7/2022 at 6:42 PM, AGGIEZ said:

It's not the Magneto cover; it's the cover with Cyclops and Wolverine.