• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATMAN 612 Second Print Sketch Cover - UPC strike through or misprint

5 posts in this topic

I recently picked up a Batman 612 Second Print Sketch cover and it took a minute for me to notice the UPC has a line through it. Its not a mark on the cover--its printed like that. I check eBay and saw two other books with the exact same line on the UPC. I mean exact! Is this a printing error or something else?

I was thinking about having it graded, but I really want to know what that is before I send it in.

Batman 612 sketch.jpg

Striking through a UPC code (on purpose) only works if you do it diagonally (so that no scan can get a clear result).

The line is a misprint, but it may be a common one since you have seen others like it.  Copies do exist without the line.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/185077420538

Like most collectibles, it's nothing until it becomes something. If it never becomes something, it stays nothing. :kidaround:

Do you think this nothing is the sort of nothing that might still be enough of a something to affect a CGC grade? The book is in good shape and I might send it in, but if that misprint is a something that would drop it significantly, it's probably not worth it.

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

On 2/9/2022 at 9:18 PM, DamianFan said:

Do you think this nothing is the sort of nothing that might still be enough of a something to affect a CGC grade?

No, send it in.  Looks like a nice copy (from what the pic shows)

***I'd be more concern about the flaw in the left hand corner (looks minor)