• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slight spine roll
1 1

15 posts in this topic

What would be the highest grade possible with slight spine roll (not from misuse,  just storage).  I've stored my comic vertically in long boxes and I'm disappointed to see how many have this condition. I guess I shouldn't be too upset, this last week is the first time I've laid eyes on them in about 30 years!

On 2/9/2022 at 1:11 PM, GMcGurty said:

What would be the highest grade possible with slight spine roll (not from misuse,  just storage).  I've stored my comic vertically in long boxes and I'm disappointed to see how many have this condition. I guess I shouldn't be too upset, this last week is the first time I've laid eyes on them in about 30 years!

I think you might be describing a stacking curl as opposed to spine roll, but as mentioned above, one or more images would help.

On 2/9/2022 at 6:04 PM, GMcGurty said:

I just grabbed the first comic that had the problem. I have hundreds like that. 

As is, probably 7.5-8.0. But a press could eliminate most if not all of that and put a book back in the 9.0-9.6 range no problem depending on other flaws 

On 2/9/2022 at 6:08 PM, comicginger1789 said:

As is, probably 7.5-8.0. But a press could eliminate most if not all of that and put a book back in the 9.0-9.6 range no problem depending on other flaws 

So, if the only flaw a book had was a stacking curl, it would drop to a 7.5-8.0??? 

On 2/9/2022 at 6:19 PM, GMcGurty said:

So, if the only flaw a book had was a stacking curl, it would drop to a 7.5-8.0??? 

Might have a chance still at 8.5 but yes. Unless someone has proof that it’s less harshly graded. Google very fine grades compared to near mint grades and study the wording. Don’t think there’s much mention of allowable spine roll/curl in the higher grade ranges aka 9.0 and up

Edited by comicginger1789

Thank you for sharing the evaluation criteria, because I did not know all the details. I also kept a collection of different old comics that I sometimes checked to see what quality they were in and I don't think anything happened to them. A couple were still taken by kids to read but it didn't affect preservation, even in college I wrote an essay on one of them, really helped at https://essays.edubirdie.com to correct the work. That's pretty much what my collection is for. 

Edited by Publearnow