• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 27 1st page on ebay
3 3

44 posts in this topic

Shouldn't CGC have mentioned it is a photo copy on the label as per seller ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334326848409?hash=item4dd76edb99:g:jkQAAOSw7tliB1dQ

or maybe it's a real page and the seller is completely clueless.

Edited by Gotham Kid

This is fraud. This is the page that sold fairly recently in a heritage auction. The guy who bought it has had it listed on and off on eBay for $100k. I thought that was weird, but this is weirder. I looked at the other stuff this guy is selling, and there’s some eye catching stuff - check the bottom picture. 

there has been a ton of fraud on eBay lately. Last week a book I own was listed!

CE2739A5-D30D-47A4-8468-CAE7ADBD125D.jpeg

87EF0F54-E77F-426C-AB9D-2E2D01C2BEFC.jpeg

95F20D1C-68A3-4867-A919-4A697255A773.png

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

Yup. A lot of hijacked accounts lately. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened to Theo, his most recent feedback is over a year old and the listing descriptions forego his usual style.

Here's another account that looks boosted:

https://www.ebay.com/str/openanduseb4labels

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 2/12/2022 at 7:16 AM, Pontoon said:

Yup. A lot of hijacked accounts lately. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened to Theo, his most recent feedback is over a year old and the listing descriptions forego his usual style.

Here's another account that looks boosted:

https://www.ebay.com/str/openanduseb4labels

There’s my All Winners 8 again, for crying out loud 

I know Theo. He is one peculiar guy and a lot of other things but he isn’t a liar or a thief. My guess is someone was watching his outrageous posts and hacked him.

Ebay was, is, and probably always be the wild, Wild West. Anybody who buys there should read and look carefully. Use their brains and common sense. Not something often practiced when people’s emotions come into it. 

My take is, he has a buyer for the 1st page and this is an ad to get attention for that.

"A Photo Copy Of Detective 27 first Page Worlds most valuable comic Page. Front and back reproduction of this historic first page to Detective #27 with this comic being worth $5 million the first most important page should be worth at least 10% of the books value! Which makes it’s the most valuable comic book page in the world! If you have this page not a copy let me know I have buyers who will want to purchase it ! Not interested in any page expert this first Historic page! Forget the rest I only want the best first page! This is the first time “Batman” was ever published inside a comic book! Historically important as the single most import printed published piece of comic art in the world! With lead to a multiple billion dollar entertainment movie and book industry ! It’s really a priceless piece of Americana"

Could be wrong, and it reads pretty nutty, but that's the vibe im getting.

On 2/12/2022 at 3:13 PM, waaaghboss said:

My take is, he has a buyer for the 1st page and this is an ad to get attention for that.

"A Photo Copy Of Detective 27 first Page Worlds most valuable comic Page. Front and back reproduction of this historic first page to Detective #27 with this comic being worth $5 million the first most important page should be worth at least 10% of the books value! Which makes it’s the most valuable comic book page in the world! If you have this page not a copy let me know I have buyers who will want to purchase it ! Not interested in any page expert this first Historic page! Forget the rest I only want the best first page! This is the first time “Batman” was ever published inside a comic book! Historically important as the single most import printed published piece of comic art in the world! With lead to a multiple billion dollar entertainment movie and book industry ! It’s really a priceless piece of Americana"

So the page he advertises is not what the buyer gets. For $1500, the page owner will lay the page down on a copier, push a button, and voilà 

it’s crazy town unless, as you surmise, it’s a sales scheme of some sort

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

It looks like a want ad to me.  He's trying to get the attention of someone with a first page of D27, and this is actually a clever way to do it.  He explicitly says he wants to buy one.

I did business with Theo once and it was a pleasure.  He sold me a comic rack from a location in Sacremento where mom bought comics as a kid - the Tower drug store.  His price was a little high, but not too much, and owning that rack has meant a lot of me - especially since my mom passed earlier this year.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 2/12/2022 at 3:13 PM, waaaghboss said:

Yeah, I think you're right.

The first time I read his writeup, I didn't know what he meant by "Not interested in any page expert this first Historic page!", but in the context of his next sentence, I think he obviously must have meant "Not interested in any page except this first Historic page!"

The initial description was a 1-liner with just a couple words to the tune of first Batman page in Tec27. The photo was also an original. Any buyer that would have hit the BIN would have had a nasty surprise.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 2/12/2022 at 6:15 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

So the page he advertises is not what the buyer gets. For $1500, the page owner will lay the page down on a copier, push a button, and voilà 

it’s crazy town unless, as you surmise, it’s a sales scheme of some sort

Price for a photocopy of the page has gone up

C41A1F93-603B-4F10-8003-9AD009DE49F9.png