• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

George Perez last signing suspended indefinitely
4 4

121 posts in this topic

I can find no news on cgc but George's FB page has announced that he is "in the hospital with an infection and is being treated with antibiotics." They go on to say "he is expected to leave within a day or two." 

Then, a little further down in the post it says

"Re: The CGC signing, it is presently postponed indefinitely. Should rescheduling be possible, we will send out an update. 

Thank you as always for all of your love and support. This part is directly from the man himself: “The strength I have and the will to persevere comes in great part, from all of you. Thank you” 

-Constance

I really hate hearing this, as he is one of the greats and his work is one of the main reasons, that I started reading comics. Get Well George!!!

So how does this work? Will we get our books back? Will cgc save them for a while? Will we be charged full signature fees? I'm kind of in the dark about this process......George's FB post was from 4 days ago but I have received no news from cgc.

Here is George's full post:

Hello fans and friends, this is an update on behalf of George. Thank you for all of your well wishes and support. Your posts and comments bring him a lot of joy. 

Presently George is admitted to the hospital dealing with an infection, that’s being treated with antibiotics. We anticipate him getting to go home in the next day or so. We ask please, for privacy at this time and if you need to reach out, please use the email on the page. 

Re: The CGC signing, it is presently postponed indefinitely. Should rescheduling be possible, we will send out an update. 

Thank you as always for all of your love and support. This part is directly from the man himself: “The strength I have and the will to persevere comes in great part, from all of you. Thank you” 

-Constance

Screenshot_20220212-064934_Facebook.jpg

I'm sure CGC is holding its breath hoping the plans can get back on track.  It would be a logistical nightmare otherwise.

This was my second submission ever, almost back-to-back with my first one, which is still in process as well. 

I am hoping for the best for GP for him and his family. But, given the circumstances, I'm not sure how much leeway he'll have.

It looks like an email went out just a few minutes ago...

We are writing you today with sad and unfortunate news, that due to George Pérez's health CGC will no longer be able to host this signing. Our thoughts are with George and his family during this difficult and private time. So many fans have submitted books for this final signing with George Pérez, and we know all will be heartbroken with this news. And with that we appreciate your patience as we try to work through all of your submissions and get your valued collectibles back into your hands. If you submitted to the George Pérez signing, please look for an email from our Signature Series team.

My primary concern is with GP and his family, of course, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was very disappointed in spending the money to send the comic book and presumably have it shipped back unsigned.  Should be about $30 in my case. 😞

My comic book in reality has no real value without the signature. 

I was expecting a long wait as it was.  Maybe they should never have even attempted the final private signing.

Edited by JBK
Added content

I expected the worst would be happened.  He announced last December that he will live between 6-12 months.  Now, it is only 3-9 months left in his life. 

My uncle had stage 4 esophagus cancer. It was inoperable. His doctor told him that he would live up to 4 months. He died four weeks later.

It's always hope that George can make his last push.

Maybe the planned "signature" label wouldn't be possible or practical, but if they honored him with a special memorial label offered for these submissions only, I'd be OK with paying the grading and label fees and return postage (but obviously not the signature fee).  

Edited by JBK

Thesink... Great ideas with a modification. They should use a new label color since yellow is for signed. A tribute label with the proceeds going to GP as you said. Shouldn't cost much for only a different color. Give those who sent in comics the option of having them graded and getting the new label.

On 2/15/2022 at 8:41 AM, Vibranium said:

Thesink... Great ideas with a modification. They should use a new label color since yellow is for signed. A tribute label with the proceeds going to GP as you said. Shouldn't cost much for only a different color. Give those who sent in comics the option of having them graded and getting the new label.

They would just use the Blue label with the GP head sketch, just like any other custom label.