• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone sent CGC a book graded by someone else? Does CGC typically honor the grade?
7 7

45 posts in this topic

I'm looking at a CBCS book that is a 9.8 and everything I can see says that it would be a 9.8 but I would like to send it into CGC to have them grade and slab it. What is the likelihood that they will honor the grade and it will be a CGC 9.8? How often do people do this?

I've sent five CBCS books to CGC for grading over the years -- two went up a half grade, two stayed the same grade, and one went down a half grade.  I think both companies are pretty consistent overall, although I think CBCS tends to be a little easier on page quality.  

To answer the more precise question, though, CGC will not honor the other grade once the book is removed from the holder.  Technically, I don't think the graders even know the grade given.

Thanks!

Dan

On 2/12/2022 at 9:23 AM, Drummy said:

I've sent five CBCS books to CGC for grading over the years -- two went up a half grade, two stayed the same grade, and one went down a half grade.  I think both companies are pretty consistent overall, although I think CBCS tends to be a little easier on page quality.  

To answer the more precise question, though, CGC will not honor the other grade once the book is removed from the holder.  Technically, I don't think the graders even know the grade given.

Thanks!

Dan

But you do send CGC the graded books still in the case right? You don't break the case open yourself?

On 2/12/2022 at 11:05 AM, blazingbob said:

My experience is to remove the book and send in raw.

CGC does not like CBCS and it has taken me a lot of effort to get the same grade.

But this is normally being done on more expensive books to clarify my experience.

This

Crack ‘em out and send them raw (thumbsu

I recently purchased my first graded book from a certain “infamous” grading company in the Pacific Northwest.

Really wanted the book and got it for a good price.

Thought about keeping it slabbed just as an example of this company.

But, if I ever sold it, would I do it a dis service keeping it in this slab?

Not particularly a book I need to read. 

On 2/12/2022 at 11:06 AM, comicjack said:

They both have different grading scales but if you like to gamble be warned on the results you may get :cry:

I wouldn’t resubmit to CGC anyway.

Just wonder if I wanted to sell it, would it sell raw easier than in this slab?

From what I can see slabbed, the grade on it looks OK to me. But, I grade books in their entirely not just the covers.

By the way, never owned one of these but it seems like I could just pop it open with my bare hands. Is this common with these?

Edited by Robot Man

On 2/12/2022 at 12:03 PM, Robot Man said:

From what I can see slabbed, the grade on it looks OK to me. But, I grade books in their entirely not just the covers.

By the way, never owned one of these but it seems like I could just pop it open with my bare hands. Is this common with these?

From the books I've seen you post, you have some tough to find material.  If I'm looking for a comic that never shows up for sale, but then I see it in a "weird" slab, I'm going to buy it!  Would probably be a stronger sale without the case though.

On 2/12/2022 at 12:03 PM, Robot Man said:

I could just pop it open with my bare hands. Is this common with these?

PS. Yes, all of these cases (CGC included) are fairly easy to open.  Isn't that the point though?  Buy the book, not the case.

On 2/12/2022 at 3:03 PM, Robot Man said:

Those are tougher to get in to than a CGC by why bother because you could be a big loser. I just slab to help the family out when i checkout of here lol

On 2/12/2022 at 3:39 PM, Poekaymon said:

Although I am not a fan of CBCS, if we are talking a modern 9.8, and it looks good, then I would actually expect it to stay 9.8--though you better be prepared for the chance it will drop.

If it were an older book, or a lower grade, then I would expect some grade variation.

Not always true.

I have submitted through CGC enough, (no where near what Storms, or Donut or some of the other guys have) to notice that there are subtle differences in what they count as 'strikes' against a book. 

So in the case of a bindery tear which I have seen on CGC 9.8's, I am unfamiliar if CBCS allows for them as well or if that counts as a strike against the book knocking it down to a 9.4. 

I know when it comes to the mid grades that CGC is also very lenient when it comes to Marvel chipping but aggressive when downgrading a book for the slightest mark or stain.  

People complain that CGC is too loose and some complain that CBCS is too loose.  I think that the CGC rules for grading have strayed a bit from what Steve envisioned them upon CGC's inception.  Since CBCS is not privy to the opposition's grading guidebook, it would be reasonable to assume that the grading is also slightly different. 

It should never vary by much but I am comfortable either way if it varies by a little. I have seen CGC books go for straight resubmits and come back with different page qualities and a .5 +/- change.