• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scarest DC key in the silver age?
3 3

81 posts in this topic

I don't think that any Silver Age book DC or otherwise is truly scarce.  Even the "hardest to find" can indeed be found with a little bit of patience and effort (and money).

Now, scarcest in high grade is a discussion to be had.

Edited by pemart1966

On 2/12/2022 at 8:52 PM, Straw-Man said:

this is anecdotal, i realize, but my ain't-crazy-about-d.c. self owning this book heavily militates against it being the rarest d.c. silver key.

showcase6.jpg

I was going to make a post along the same line last night, but we went out to eat and saw Fiddler on the Roof at the Orpheum Theatre in Omaha. I was one tuckered-out old man when I got home.

SC6.jpg.92f4223048b56927f68176514edeafeb.jpg

Edited by Math Teacher

Did not realize you lived in Omaha Math Teacher.  I was born and raised there.  I made many trips there over the years since I left prior to my mother moving down to Houston a few years ago.

I went to Westside.  What school do you teach at?

seems like a lot of Tec 225s  were graded (301) but only 1  that is above a 9.0  Probably had a much higher number published  than the other books 

On 2/13/2022 at 11:38 AM, jmg3637 said:

Did not realize you lived in Omaha Math Teacher.  I was born and raised there.  I made many trips there over the years since I left prior to my mother moving down to Houston a few years ago.

I went to Westside.  What school do you teach at?

seems like a lot of Tec 225s  were graded (301) but only 1  that is above a 9.0  Probably had a much higher number published  than the other books 

Well, I actually live in Council Bluffs, a little outside of the city limits. We get all the benefits of Omaha, such as the Orpheum Theatre, with very view of the drawbacks, such as high property taxes and drive-by shootings. lol

I started living in Council Bluffs in August, 1980, so I am nearing my 41st year here. I actually went to a small school in central Iowa in a town named Ogden.

I taught 34 years at Lewis Central High School, on the south side of Council Bluffs. I then retired so I could start drawing my IPERS pension, and then I taught four additional years at Roncalli Catholic School in Omaha. That second gig allowed us to get our house paid off in late 2017.

Edited by Math Teacher

On 2/13/2022 at 5:28 PM, Math Teacher said:

Well, I actually live in Council Bluffs, a little outside of the city limits. We get all the benefits of Omaha, such as the Orpheum Theatre, with very view of the drawbacks, such as high property taxes and drive-by shootings. lol

I started living in Council Bluffs in August, 1980, so I am nearing my 41st year here. I actually went to a small school in central Iowa in a town named Ogden.

I taught 34 years at Lewis Central High School, on the south side of Council Bluffs. I then retired so I could start drawing my IPERS pension, and then I taught four additional years at Roncalli Catholic School in Omaha. That second gig allowed us to get our house paid off in late 2017.

I had a gig for work in Tekamah. It's such a tiny place that there were no hotels. I stayed in Omaha and commuted for the few weeks I was there. I'm now going to report myself for taking this thread off topic. Carry on.

On 2/13/2022 at 10:50 PM, pemart1966 said:

I don't think that any Silver Age book DC or otherwise is truly scarce.  Even the "hardest to find" can indeed be found with a little bit of patience and effort (and money).

Now, scarcest in high grade is a discussion to be had.

This.

How does Adventure 247 stack up?  As has been said, I don't think any of them are truly scarce, but it's definitely not one that I see often.

On 2/13/2022 at 9:08 AM, 1950's war comics said:

the Title of this thread is SCAREST ?? (scarcest) key , not most valuable

here is the latest CGC census numbers for blue label

1 sugar and spike    31   copies, with the highest graded 8.0

2. Jimmy Olsen #1  136   copies, with the highest graded 8.5

3. Showcase #6  178 copies with 9 copies grading 8.0 and above, 3 in 9.0

4. Our Army at War #83  180 copies with a 9.0 as the highest graded

it's not even close which is the "scarcest" key

I wish a had any of those four for my collection👍‼️😷

The only books I don't have of the ones talked about so far are Showcase 4 and Sugar and Spike, I should have/could have bought a SC4 back in the day before it went too crazy but didnt, its too late now I guess :( 

I have never even seen a Sugar and Spike in all my years of collecting, so I guess to me that's the scarcest, at least here in the UK :) 

On 2/14/2022 at 6:41 PM, Kevin.J said:

The only books I don't have of the ones talked about so far are Showcase 4 and Sugar and Spike, I should have/could have bought a SC4 back in the day before it went too crazy but didnt, its too late now I guess :( 

I have never even seen a Sugar and Spike in all my years of collecting, so I guess to me that's the scarcest, at least here in the UK :) 

it is the scarcest ! and there is not even a close second place ...

On 2/14/2022 at 5:48 PM, plady69 said:

Thanks for all the input guys and gals.  What a knowledgeable bunch of comic book aficionados!  I agree that with eBay you can find any of these if you want to spend the cash. I do miss paging through TBG and CBG and going to cons to find books, though.

This

On 2/14/2022 at 3:57 PM, 1950's war comics said:

the only silver age  DC books more scarce although these are not keys are issues 2, 3 and 4 of "it's game time"very hard to find in anything above 4.0... first issue is more common though

DSCN3667 - Edited (1).jpg

Actually, impossible to find without all the puzzles filled in on the inside. I've had 2 of those in the past, but some kid ruined them by doing puzzles and drawings instead of putting them into mylars. If those are your copies, Congrats!

Since we're also adding scarce non-keys, I would also add New Adventures of Charlie Chan.