• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not One graded 10

20 posts in this topic

Does anyone else feel like they are purposely not giving out 10’s on cards they should? Ive now had over 150 cards graded with just about everyone being pulled myself and instantly put in sleeve and CGC card holder.The first batch i sent was express with sub grades which was about 15 card submission and mostly 9 and 9.5s . Then another smaller submission sent economy , some with subs some not and similar grades as the first. And my last submission was a 89 card no subs sent Bulk and majority of them are 8s and 9s with a couple 9.5s …. I just find it really odd that not 1 of them came back a 10. I feel like the odds of 150 pack fresh cards getting graded with not one 10 is extremely low.

Anyone else feel this way?

On 2/14/2022 at 11:41 AM, Robert Norte said:

I didn't realize instantly putting your card in a sleeve after opening a pack will perfectly center your card, smooth your edges, and fix any surface errors! Amazing! How is CGC not aware of this?

You can also do it with comic books.  If you put the comic into a bag and board immediately after purchase, its auto-mint, fixing any and all previous defects.

On 2/14/2022 at 12:29 PM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

No not really. "Pack fresh" doesn't mean automatic 10 grades. I will never understand that logic at all..... I like how CGC is "strict" on grading. Makes that 10 mean so much more then a PSA 10 as it seems they just give them out. Just my opinion.

Obviously, the point was that i pulled every card so it wasnt like I bought them off someone else and it went through all kinds of shipping, and i wasn’t sending any card in unless it was centered and have 0 whiting. So if you sent in 150 cards that you pulled and inspected before sending, you wouldn’t expect one 10? … i didnt say i think all should be 10s but not 1? I would say its more likely to get one 10 of out 150 cards then unlikely.

On 2/14/2022 at 12:29 PM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

No not really. "Pack fresh" doesn't mean automatic 10 grades. I will never understand that logic at all..... I like how CGC is "strict" on grading. Makes that 10 mean so much more then a PSA 10 as it seems they just give them out. Just my opinion.

Not sure how anyone got that out of what i said, no once did i say its a auto 10 because its pack fresh, the point was i pulled every card myself so i know that it didnt go through the ringer before getting to me. So your saying if you send 150 mint cards in you wouldnt expect not one 10? Anyone that wouldn’t expect one 10 out of 150 mint cards that were inspected to make sure they had a shot at a 10, is BS’ing.  I get they “Grade hard” but I believe they are purposely not giving 10s in a lot of situations.

also there was a clear difference in grades between then cards i sent express and the ones i sent bulk. 

do you have a clear understanding of what qualities would give a card a chance at a 10?

There is more to it than you visually inspecting with your eyes.

Post some examples of your graded cards. CGC has wonderful large images as specimens.

Edited by Artboy99

The cynic in me (which is mainly just me) says that CGC is engaging in ultra-strict grading in an effort to bolster the credibility/desirability of their grading services.  If they get a reputation for strict grading, then, I guess, people will value their grades more.  Not giving out many 10s is part of that.  This is not completely unlike how 9.8 is basically the best one can hope for a grade on a comic.  

On 2/27/2022 at 2:05 PM, poke_naynay said:

6000 cards sent back to me, only 1 pristine 10. 

It's hard to get for a reason

Cgc hasn’t been grading cards that long, and they’re $15 per card.

so in the last 1.5 yrs you’ve spent at minimum $90k plus shipping and insurance on card grading and you’ve gotten ONE 10??????!!!!!!

On 2/28/2022 at 10:44 PM, revat said:

so in the last 1.5 yrs you’ve spent at minimum $90k plus shipping and insurance on card grading and you’ve gotten ONE 10??????!!!!!!

06F852DE-821A-4A46-BF37-5061FBF82A82.gif.bc35a70ff44542f1fd093e147a10f8e8.gif

On 2/14/2022 at 9:13 AM, Kilsh0t said:

Does anyone else feel like they are purposely not giving out 10’s on cards they should? Ive now had over 150 cards graded with just about everyone being pulled myself and instantly put in sleeve and CGC card holder.The first batch i sent was express with sub grades which was about 15 card submission and mostly 9 and 9.5s . Then another smaller submission sent economy , some with subs some not and similar grades as the first. And my last submission was a 89 card no subs sent Bulk and majority of them are 8s and 9s with a couple 9.5s …. I just find it really odd that not 1 of them came back a 10. I feel like the odds of 150 pack fresh cards getting graded with not one 10 is extremely low.

Anyone else feel this way?

Watch a TCA gaming video or alpha investments. They have opened thousands of packs and will tell you a ton of pack fresh cards are not 10s or even 9s. These things are printed  in bulk with humans overseeing the process . Theres a wife variety of QC issues on some print runs and even periods of time. 

Not sure if you've been grading Pokemon, but if so and they're primarily in English, that may be why. I just got back a 60 card submission that was a mix of ENG and JPN cards. Across the board, the JPN cards scored much higher, including a Yu Nagaba Pikachu which came back as my only 10. The quality control on ENG cards is complete garbage in comparison, so it doesn't matter much if they're pack fresh. They're always going to be off-center with raggedy edges straight out the pack. If CGC's grading scale is taking into account the relatively higher level of quality in JPN cards, that may be why it's nearly impossible to get a 10 on an ENG card. Just something to consider.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:36 PM, Steve Dietemann said:

Not sure if you've been grading Pokemon, but if so and they're primarily in English, that may be why. I just got back a 60 card submission that was a mix of ENG and JPN cards. Across the board, the JPN cards scored much higher, including a Yu Nagaba Pikachu which came back as my only 10. The quality control on ENG cards is complete garbage in comparison, so it doesn't matter much if they're pack fresh. They're always going to be off-center with raggedy edges straight out the pack. If CGC's grading scale is taking into account the relatively higher level of quality in JPN cards, that may be why it's nearly impossible to get a 10 on an ENG card. Just something to consider.

I watched a pokemon breaker on twitch last night of the name Phurion show a CGC submission he just received and roughly 13 of the 20 cards in the submission was graded 10.... I feel CGC is trying to pump out a bunch of 10s before they release the population report....

On 3/30/2022 at 3:32 PM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

I watched a pokemon breaker on twitch last night of the name Phurion show a CGC submission he just received and roughly 13 of the 20 cards in the submission was graded 10.... I feel CGC is trying to pump out a bunch of 10s before they release the population report....

It looks like most of his submissions were JPN cards. Every modern JPN card I sent in was at least a 9, and usually a 9.5. The quality is so much better on them, there's a good chance of them coming back as a 10.

On 2/28/2022 at 10:44 PM, revat said:

Prices weren't $15 when I submitted the majority of my cards.  With the membership discount, it was about $8.

And yes, 1 single 10.  Granted, most of my cards were WOTC era, but still 1000-2000 modern era cards fresh from pack to sleeve.