• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Five Favorite Comics that you no longer presently own, that you sold or traded away too cheaply, that you wish you still did own, but you do not
2 2

66 posts in this topic

There are worse things to lose than a comic book, however painful.

One Art

The art of losing isn’t hard to master;
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster.

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn’t hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

I lost my mother’s watch. And look! my last, or
next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing isn’t hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn’t a disaster.

—Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan’t have lied. It’s evident
the art of losing’s not too hard to master
though it may look like (Write it!) like disaster.

Elizabeth Bishop

lots I regret selling. No huge ticket books because I don't trade in that stratosphere and I only started on GA around 2004.

A few sales do come to mind immediately, for reasons you can figure out. All old label. For a fraction of what they'd go for now.

Terrors of the Jungle 19 CGC 9.2 to lbcolefan because he respectfully asked me every year for several years if I'd sell it to him.  I liked the book but pretty sure he likes it more than anyone.

Amazing Detective Cases 12 CGC 8.5 to goldlust40

Amazing Detective Cases 14 CGC 8.5 to goldlust40

National Comics 11 CGC 8.5 Cosmic Aeroplane to can't remember but I see it sold on Heritage in 2019 in a newer slab.  Sold it 15 years or so ago when I didn't appreciate  GA as I do now.

Batman 3 CGC 4.0 to can't remember maybe 10 years go. A friend asked me to sell it when he found it among his deceased dad's belongings. So I submitted it, a disappointing 4.0, think I sold it on CLink. However, I never thought about pressing back then, would of come back 6.0 or better. (BTW Pressing IMO is reserved for SA or later, you know, where so many books it isn't a crime to adulterate a few).  

On 2/15/2022 at 9:13 AM, szav said:

I feel worse.  There’s pain in this thread.  It makes want to share the book I sold too early that’s now a 60kish book but it belongs to another era.

Those proceeds at least went to buying GA that almost kept up in value, but I thought I’d be able to buy a copy back some day.  Not happening now or ever though.

Was the book a 9.6 TMNT 1?

On 2/15/2022 at 7:57 PM, Ltpink2002 said:

Was the book a 9.6 TMNT 1?

Possibly...maybe...definitely.  In retrospect its good it wasn't a 9.8... would not have made up that deficit in a lifetime.  Also let go of an 8.0, my childhood copy, a few months prior.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:06 PM, szav said:

Possibly...maybe...definitely.  In retrospect its good it wasn't a 9.8... would not have made up that deficit in a lifetime.  Also let go of an 8.0, my childhood copy, a few months prior.

If it was the copy on CL, then I should have been more aggressive with my bidding.

I have a long list of comic regrets :(

Edited by Ltpink2002

About 15 years ago I sold a very large pile of my best and high grade Planet comics. I did it to fund a trip to Europe. I really miss them but have managed to replace them with a lot of lower grade copies. No regrets though. I have memories that far surpass the books.

The one that bothers me the most though is Great Comics #3 “Futura takes Hitler to Hell”. Didn’t really need the money even. I fell into the “high grade hype” and sold it to someone in a moment of weakness because it was only a good-vg. Always figured I would find a better one…:facepalm:

On 2/16/2022 at 10:37 AM, pemart1966 said:

Back then he coulda mowed the Rose Bowl all summer and not made $300...

Then you mow that rose bowl as many summers as needed to make that $300!!!!

Edited by LDarkseid1