• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The story of a promise made during the Korean War
9 9

365 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2022 at 2:55 PM, LearnedHand said:

Amazing post!  Thanks for sharing; and yes, definitely interested in the additional info.  If nothing else, I just learned about two American heroes and a family that instilled grit and integrity in their children.    

Thanks.  That family definitely had grit.  At one point it also had four or five sons in the United Nations forces in Korea.  Bob and Roger were the two youngest by far (5 or 6 year gap to next eldest), and were born just 13 or so months apart.

Wonderful story, and a completely plausible possible connection to the comics, as well as a plausible explanation of why they weren't mentioned as part of the story you've turned up, and why they were "freshened up" when they were.  Just like putting fresh sheets on his bed or a coat of paint on his bedroom walls if you thought he might be coming home.

I agree Heritage should make this clear, although it's possible the family simply doesn't want to be publicly identified, so they're fudging some of the info to ensure that doesn't happen.  Obviously, none of us want the family bothered (although I'd like to send them a card thanking them for their extraordinary service and sacrifice for this nation), so perhaps we'll never get the entire story confirmed.  In any event, this is really an extraordinary piece of investigative "journalism" and is very much appreciated by me.

On 2/15/2022 at 3:51 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I agree Heritage should make this clear, although it's possible the family simply doesn't want to be publicly identified, so they're fudging some of the info to ensure that doesn't happen.  Obviously, none of us want the family bothered (although I'd like to send them a card thanking them for their extraordinary service and sacrifice for this nation), so perhaps we'll never get the entire story confirmed.  In any event, this is really an extraordinary piece of investigative "journalism" and is very much appreciated by me.

I'm unaware of any instance where the family of a pedigree OO has been bothered.  Obviously, the pedigree collections have included living OOs whose names are part of the pedigree or whose identities have become known.  To my knowledge none have been bothered by anyone.  Since Heritage possesses and is selling the whole collection, I'm not sure why anyone would bother the OOs extended family.  The opportunity to cut into Heritage's business is long gone for any dealers or collectors who had such a thought.

It is my opinion, really a guess, that Heritage has fudged facts in an effort to obscure the OO.  But, the story told and the markings on the comics themselves give us enough info to, again in IMHO, identify the OO.  Had the family truly wanted to ensure anonymity, they should have given no backstory at all and withheld the "Armand" books from sale.  But, pedigree back stories boost the prices on comics, and maybe they made a compromise regarding what story, or part of the story, they wanted to tell in order to sweeten the appeal of the books.  Heritage and CGC both recognized that the story told added value. Once the decision was made to tell some of the story, it was foreseeable that the full info might come out.  Heritage noted at the outset of the marketing of the collection:

“When their names become known, the collecting community remembers the original fans who have passed their collections down through the decades to be appreciated in the modern day.  Readers and collectors such as Edgar Church, who amassed a collection of nearly 15,000 comics 1937-1957, Davis Crippen, who bought and saved some 13,000 comics 1940-1955, and Lamont Larson, who collected over 1,000 comic books 1936-1940, are all legendary names within the collecting hobby.  The modern collecting community fondly remembers these names and others and discusses them often.  Robert and Junie will be added to this list of legends.”

- Heritage Auctions Sponsored Post, Bleeding Cool (5/20/2021)

On 2/15/2022 at 4:17 PM, szav said:

That Bob was possibly comfortable in the limelight and being a publicly known advocate for the cause of PoWs does make me wonder about the assertion that the family or sellers of this collection wanted to remain totally anonymous.   As the subject of documentaries, etc you'd think Bob would have spoken publicly about this promise or his brother's collection, one of the most tangible connections remaining to the brother he was still searching for.  It doesn't totally add up.  Of course just because Bob was possibly comfortable with some notoriety, and as you said butting heads with those in the upper echelons of power, doesn't mean the descendants want it to be known that they just inherited a windfall.

You make a very compelling case, but there's still a lot of mystery here.

Bob was a POW/MIA advocate, I can think of no reason he'd talk about comic books - a subject that was not on-message to the only cause he talked publicly about.  I am not privy to the family's lore, and it is conceivable the promise that was the focus of Bob's public life - the one to his parents - was not the only promise he made relating to Roger.  

We do not know that Bob's, or anyone else's, descendants "inherited a windfall."  We don't know where the money is going. 

It is also possible that my opinion is wrong.  Would not be the first time.  Which is why I think Heritage should weigh in.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 2/15/2022 at 5:24 PM, sfcityduck said:

Bob was a POW/MIA advocate, I can think of no reason he'd talk about comic books - a subject that was not on-message to the only cause he talked publicly about. 

You had said Bob was the subject of documentaries, and I don't know, but what better way to advocate than to tell the deeply personal stories of the people you were advocating for?  We probably wont know, maybe thats not the type of person he was, or it wasn't what people did back then.  Life was more private back then.  But it still strikes me as a bit of a mystery.

Still the way you've set it up for us there are many many facts in favor, and the inconsistencies are not insurmountable.  Appreciate what you've done here.  

On 2/15/2022 at 4:17 PM, szav said:

You make a very compelling case, but there's still a lot of mystery here.  It still seems possible that someone pried this collection away from the family of the OO 20ish years ago, and that its some dealer or collector now selling it off, and it's that person that wants anonymity.  

Heritage representatives have used both the words "consignors" and "family" when talking about who wants anonymity.  It may be that you're right.  The family could have sold to the consignor (probably recently), and when they learned the consignor was planning to resell the collection asked the consignor to make an effort to keep the OO's identity a secret.  The consignor might have chosen to agree to that request, but only up to a point - and decided to tell part of the story.  But that's all complete speculation!  And my read of Heritage's statements is to tend to think such a line of speculation is incorrect.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 2/15/2022 at 4:30 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I was thinking more of "bothered" in the same context that Lottery winners frequently find out they have a lot of long-lost relatives and other scam artists who need money.  I doubt anyone from the comic collecting community would be anything but respectful and fascinated by the story.

I'm unaware of anyone bothering pedigree sellers whose identities are known and in some cases part of the pedigree name (Billy Wright, Maggie Thompson, Don Rosa, etc.) when they cash out their comics.   But I agree that concern could be a motivator for a request that an attempt to maintain anonymity be made.  

Edited by sfcityduck