• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taschen Marvel comics library Spiderman Vo1- 1962-1964 A silver age collectors dream
5 5

116 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2022 at 10:16 AM, shadroch said:

I was reading that some of these books have binding issues. Supposedly if you lay the book flat, the glue unbinds.  Has anyone experianced any issues with their binding?

Not yet.

On 3/1/2022 at 8:16 AM, shadroch said:

I was reading that some of these books have binding issues. Supposedly if you lay the book flat, the glue unbinds.  Has anyone experianced any issues with their binding?

not on mine at all....and I have read it twice.....and you catch things you missed the first time....

Edited by Mmehdy

On 3/1/2022 at 11:16 AM, shadroch said:

So far so good and I've been flipping through mine quite a bit for the past few weeks that I've had it. I echo everything @Mmehdy has said. Super nice book.

Interesting article in SCOOP today as Taschen is asking for the original comic books for the next book in the series. They had mentioned FF, Avengers and Cap....but this announcement  now clears up what will be next, it will not only be Captain America but it will not the GA cap NOT the SA cap. They are seeking owners of Cap 1-12 and All Winners 1-3( which contain three S/K cap stories). It is interesting as Cap 1-10 is SK, and they are including 11 and 12 in the great big book. Anyone out there can contact Taschen and if they supply the books they get there name mentioned. I wish them luck finding them and am disappointed it is not FF which screams to be the proper follow up great big book. They will travel to you for the book.  Your comments....

Edited by Mmehdy

On 3/11/2022 at 12:53 PM, Mmehdy said:

Interesting article in SCOOP today as Taschen is asking for the original comic books for the next book in the series. They had mentioned FF, Avengers and Cap....but this announcement  now clears up what will be next, it will not only be Captain America but it will not the GA cap NOT the SA cap. They are seeking owners of Cap 1-12 and All Winners 1-3( which contain three S/K cap stories). It is interesting as Cap 1-10 is SK, and they are including 11 and 12 in the great big book. Anyone out there can contact Taschen and if they supply the books they get there name mentioned. I wish them luck finding them and am disappointed it is not FF which screams to be the proper follow up great big book. They will travel to you for the book.  Your comments....

I saw that mentioned in Scoop yesterday as well. I know for certain that FF and Avengers have already been photographed so I was surprised to read that GA Cap would be next, especially since they do not yet have the source material to photograph.

I have the Spidey book (#1075) and it is certainly a beautiful production but I can’t see getting any more of these monsters unless they make one of John Romita’s first 20 issues on ASM. I don’t think I could possibly resist that.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:07 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Wow! Very nice

Apparently the founder of Taschen books collected marvels as a teen and I think the story goes he sold his collection and used the funds to start Taschen books.

He would be a multi millionaire now and I believe he is still actively collecting comics

Taschen (a german) had a comic shop in the late 70s, early 80s in Cologne. In 1980 I visited his shop, bought my first Overstreet and a FF 52. He was 18 yrs old then I believe. 

On 3/13/2022 at 2:42 AM, GermanFan said:

Taschen (a german) had a comic shop in the late 70s, early 80s in Cologne. In 1980 I visited his shop, bought my first Overstreet and a FF 52. He was 18 yrs old then I believe. 

Wow! What was the shop like? Quite small......I'm guessing collecting comics in Germany was a quite a small niche hobby early 80s?

I'm from Perth Australia, there was only one tiny comic shop in the early 80s in Perth , a small city then population approx 1 million then.

It was very very expensive for new issues and even worse ,up to ten times guide for VG/ f back issues from Koch inventory

On 3/11/2022 at 9:53 AM, Mmehdy said:

Taschen should be paying the people who contribute scans of their books to the making of this project. It's quite cheap to expect people to do it for nothing other than a mention. 

Not surprising though, since they have always been a cheap company. I published a book years ago with them entitled JAPANESE BEAUTIES. i can't recall the specifics of my deal at this point, but i had to obtain an outside grant in order to afford to finish the project. they paid barely anything for a book that sold out its run, although it was not printed in a particularly large quantity. my best friend worked there for awhile too around that time, and resigned, because he did so much work for so little compensation. 

guess it sounds like i'm griping. i was glad i could make that book, and i own several other of their lovely publications. but it sounds like they are still a cheap company. 

I believe Taschen is going to the source of the materIal, flying to them. As far as whether they should be "paying" them that should not be left to general judgement and to the individual collector. These outstanding new Marvel Editions are very historically important here. I am sorry about you prior experiences with management and your overall opinion of how they operate business. I have had a opportunity to contribute to the Pin Up book which is the greatest book ever made on pin up art. Not only did they allow me to see and participate every step of the way in photo processes, buy me lunch, come to my home, and treat my art with the utmost respect and properly acknowedge my collection in the giant volume. In addition I toured their LA offices and given an advance look at the book prior to publication. However, I am not the author, Dian Hanson was and I cannot tell you how see was treated other than the 3/4 times we met each other and offered no complaints about her job or management.

I believe there is one thing we can agreed upon, and that is quality wise, content wise, their books are the best in the business. I own the Pin UP, EC, DC, and current Spider Man editions and they are the top of the food chain in my opinion. They have outdone themselves on the this SM edition, but going the extra mile to create the "real feel" of what I experienced 50 years ago in the news stand. They could of easily and more cheaply gone digital stats-see Omunibus  editions, but they did not...and went thru the time and money to make this thing right...in a easy digital world.....you cannot use the word "cheap" here on this edition or on any of their books in my collection in my opinion.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 3/13/2022 at 12:50 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Wow! What was the shop like? Quite small......I'm guessing collecting comics in Germany was a quite a small niche hobby early 80s?

I'm from Perth Australia, there was only one tiny comic shop in the early 80s in Perth , a small city then population approx 1 million then.

It was very very expensive for new issues and even worse ,up to ten times guide for VG/ f back issues from Koch inventory

It was a small one room shop. He later moved to a better location with 2 rooms.

On 3/16/2022 at 4:32 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

Hmmm, looking to future resales of this limited edition, they going to have to find some pretty big slabs.

I think over time this edition of Spider-Man will be not the most desired and have actual  future collector value. Especially the limited 1K edition. At some point they are not gonna make books like this anymore. I see a good long term return hold on this collection. A fellow long time collector who is famous for being a flipper actually bought 2 copies, one for him and one to resell down the line to cover the cost of both editions.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 2/17/2022 at 7:17 PM, Mmehdy said:

The Silver Age GIANT  book of Amazing Spider man 1-19, Ann #1 and AF 15 arrived at my door via Amazon 20 bucks off with free delivery last night. This in my opinion is greatest SA reprint book every created. It respects the the comic book and is not a hyped up digitalized  color enhanced previous Marvel reprints  this is the real deal, the size, the feeling is classic. Just looking at those house ads blown up reminds of the days I waited at the newstand. As a 60 year collector, this book respects just than and gets my highest recommendation....there are some great video reviews out there which give you a idea how great really, but until you have it in your hands and see it for yourself.....thumbs wayyy up

I was in my LCS and they had a copy and they told me the binding was glued. Do you think a book with glued binding is worth $200.00?

I wouldn't let them handle and scan any of my comics without a guarantee that afterwards the condition remained the same, and they pay for any loss in value.  And they'd have to crack out graded copies too so we have a baseline grade.  And pay a fee for the use of my comics to scan.  Makes no sense to allow them to do it on a "nice guy" basis --  or for "posterity -- when its a "for profit" endeavor for Taschen. Your collection is at risk.  They're big boys, they should pay.

of course I realize, (even though I dont have high grade runs for them to scan) - that they can easily find some rubes who will let them have their way with them for hits and giggles with the big boys and a credit in a book.

On 3/26/2022 at 5:21 PM, Aman619 said:

I wouldn't let them handle and scan any of my comics without a guarantee that afterwards the condition remained the same, and they pay for any loss in value.  And they'd have to crack out graded copies too so we have a baseline grade.  And pay a fee for the use of my comics to scan.  Makes no sense to allow them to do it on a "nice guy" basis --  or for "posterity -- when its a "for profit" endeavor for Taschen. Your collection is at risk.  They're big boys, they should pay.

of course I realize, (even though I dont have high grade runs for them to scan) - that they can easily find some rubes who will let them have their way with them for hits and giggles with the big boys and a credit in a book.

but you'll get your name in the book! :roflmao:

as i said earlier, ridiculous and super cheap of them to expect people to do this for nothing (except possible damage to these high value books). once no one shows up, i'd expect the offer to improve.