• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taschen Marvel comics library Spiderman Vo1- 1962-1964 A silver age collectors dream
5 5

116 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2022 at 10:48 AM, alexgross.com said:

but you'll get your name in the book! :roflmao:

as i said earlier, ridiculous and super cheap of them to expect people to do this for nothing (except possible damage to these high value books). once no one shows up, i'd expect the offer to improve. 

I don’t even know why they need perfect copies either especially for the interiors.  Easy to clean up everything in the scans for color except for poor registration 

On 3/26/2022 at 5:21 PM, Aman619 said:

I wouldn't let them handle and scan any of my comics without a guarantee that afterwards the condition remained the same, and they pay for any loss in value.  And they'd have to crack out graded copies too so we have a baseline grade.  And pay a fee for the use of my comics to scan.  Makes no sense to allow them to do it on a "nice guy" basis --  or for "posterity -- when its a "for profit" endeavor for Taschen. Your collection is at risk.  They're big boys, they should pay.

of course I realize, (even though I dont have high grade runs for them to scan) - that they can easily find some rubes who will let them have their way with them for hits and giggles with the big boys and a credit in a book.

They might pay compensation...I do not think anybody knows, especially if damage occurs to the book while they are using it. But this is a milestone project which needs to be published WHILE BOOKS ARE STILL BEING PUBLISHED.  These giant editions need to see print, as many as can be made and we as true comic book collections need to support this historic project, as well as the Avengers, FF and GA Cap. It would be a lot easier not to use the originals but they are going the extra mile. Profit margins on books have been decreasing for years now, I do not think that Taschen is going to get super rich on this project Aman. So, I would hope someone would come thru and support this project and make that the main goal. They should according to you, my question is how much?

as I posted earlier, they could use almost any issues for this "historic" project.  they were all created practically equally..  Just pick a high grade raw copy for the covers, and any run of the mill solid OW/W paged interior with no stains, tears, loogies or lunch debris -- and retouch them to match.  voila.  they could buy a run in F or less and tear them apart to scan as spreads and save on scanner time and expense..  

Thanks to this thread started by @Mmehdy I, too, ordered that beast of a book (limited edition with slipcase, etc.), which is to be delivered this month (04/22). :) Let's see how that works out. 

For context, this morning I read that publisher Penguin Random House also has taken up Marvel Comics into his series "Penguin Classics".

Edited by Pickie
wording

On 5/21/2022 at 4:28 PM, vksince82 said:

Just received. Pictures don’t do it justice. Beautiful book.

The covers of each comic are gloss and the pages are a non-wood pulp mix that simulates the paper texture of the time. It even includes the ads and letters from the time of original publication.

The book is huuuuge. I thought my All Star Superman Absolute Edition was big but it’s dwarfed by this book.

The super annoying thing is the “collector’s” shipping box has the shipping label slapped on it. Others I’ve seen were luckier regarding this.

IMG_5011.jpg

IMG_5014.jpg

IMG_5015.jpg

IMG_5013.jpg

IMG_5016.jpg

IMG_5010.jpg

It certainly is a beautiful production. Congrats on getting it. Is your copy numbered?

On 5/22/2022 at 9:04 PM, JohnH19 said:

It certainly is a beautiful production. Congrats on getting it. Is your copy numbered?

Nope mine isn’t numbered, but got it on sale. The first 5k were numbered. One of the YouTube reviews mentioned that the numbered placard is basically a sticker on the front fold pages - but someone with a numbered edition would be able to confirm or deny that. 

It’s on sale at Amazon right now. I was able to purchase mine with an additional Amazon coupon by checking a box.  Got it for $148 pretax. Original retail was $200. 

On 5/22/2022 at 9:30 PM, shadroch said:

I just went to order a copy and saw they also have an Avengers coming out. I ordered both.

Yup saw that the Avengers collection was up for pre-order. I’m thinking I may wait for a sale, just like they did for the Amazing Spider-Man collection. 

This book is the probably the best looking “collection book” I’ve seen. I’m in the bag for the rest - Avengers, Captain America, and Fantastic Four.

Would love to see more ASM volumes too. 

On 5/23/2022 at 9:36 AM, vksince82 said:

Nope mine isn’t numbered, but got it on sale. The first 5k were numbered. One of the YouTube reviews mentioned that the numbered placard is basically a sticker on the front fold pages - but someone with a numbered edition would be able to confirm or deny that. 

It’s on sale at Amazon right now. I was able to purchase mine with an additional Amazon coupon by checking a box.  Got it for $148 pretax. Original retail was $200. 

I can confirm the numbered edition is a printed and stuck to the page.  It looked like it was printed until you run your fingers on the edge and then you can tell.  

IMG_5375.jpg

On 5/23/2022 at 5:40 PM, Frederic9494 said:

Looks great but I am afraid of the type of binding on such a big book: Is the binding sewn or glued?

On 5/23/2022 at 6:38 PM, bronze johnny said:

Can I ask if the page binding for these books is stitched or glued? Thanks!

The binding is glued. 

Mine arrived today. 
here is the outer box

image.thumb.jpg.f56811a81a5744a27e8dc788422fc6af.jpg

here is the inner. The label is on the shrink wrap, not the book

image.thumb.jpg.f5b45f9b69ddb11f5123807f6e2959fc.jpg

the box has some damage, it doesn’t bother me as the book is fine. It is very impressive in person

image.thumb.jpg.525c46774f4bc7bebc0a83dea3bfa0a5.jpg

image.jpg

On 5/25/2022 at 2:50 PM, shadroch said:

image.thumb.jpg.fac572ac65864078b462b4164b035032.jpg

the covers are glossy but I don’t care for the paper the pages are reproduced onimage.thumb.jpg.269c9019213e3313dd3b9c571ed06093.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.a04aaba3902bb81bd8c5217e9f869a10.jpgThat is a regular comic to show the size difference 

I don’t really like the paper but overall I give a solid A.

But did you smell the paper?? ;)

On 5/26/2022 at 6:56 PM, vksince82 said:

But did you smell the paper?? ;)

I did.  I like that new book smell.  The paper has a rough feel and the colors don't pop the way they do on the glossy covers. I believe I'd like it better on different paper but it's a minor complaint. I highly recommend it.   Omnis are dead to me now.