• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink winter auction
3 3

89 posts in this topic

man, I know I have some big ones but asking for dat clawback...gonna swallow hard, maybe even take a shot of jack to brace myself before I go there.

gotta get some more info for armament here.

On 3/14/2022 at 12:41 AM, Bird said:

man, I know I have some big ones but asking for dat clawback...gonna swallow hard, maybe even take a shot of jack to brace myself before I go there.

gotta get some more info for armament here.

Why the nervousness?  The worst thing they can do is say no.  They’re not going to blacklist you or something for having the temerity to ask for a BP rebate.

On 3/13/2022 at 1:01 PM, tth2 said:

Why the nervousness?  The worst thing they can do is say no.  They’re not going to blacklist you or something for having the temerity to ask for a BP rebate.

fair enough

HEY JOE! I want the 20% too! please?\

On 3/13/2022 at 1:01 PM, tth2 said:

I have no current knowledge on what they are currently offering for consignors on the comics/comic art side, but, I have a nagging suspicion that they are doing so well these days that they are probably not being as aggressive with BP rebates as they used to be. To whit: I have a friend from the sports/non-sports card hobby who I referred to Heritage with some pretty decent stuff and, boy, did their commission terms suck ripe ball sack. Like, I was embarrassed to have referred him to Heritage with the terms they gave him (again, this was the card side, not the comics side of HA); I got the distinct feeling that their attitude was "we're getting so many high value consignments and we're kicking so much azz for our consignors that we're not giving you s***, and, in fact, we're even going to charge you some seller's premium on top of that".

Edited by delekkerste

On 3/23/2022 at 9:32 AM, delekkerste said:

I have no current knowledge on what they are currently offering for consignors on the comics/comic art side, but, I have a nagging suspicion that they are doing so well these days that they are probably not being as aggressive with BP rebates as they used to be. To whit: I have a friend from the sports/non-sports card hobby who I referred to Heritage with some pretty decent stuff and, boy, did their commission terms suck ripe ball sack. Like, I was embarrassed to have referred him to Heritage with the terms they gave him (again, this was the card side, not the comics side of HA); I got the distinct feeling that their attitude was "we're getting so many high value consignments and we're kicking so much azz for our consignors that we're not giving you s***, and, in fact, we're even going to charge you some seller's premium on top of that".

I was just talking to a friend about unleashing his silver and Bronze Age collection on HA......I think I can negotiate the seller fees down.

But he also had a $19,000 MTG card I told him no problem, they handle those also 😢 would suck if their attitude is take it or leave it.

We’ll see if my buddy decides to unload.

On 3/24/2022 at 12:32 AM, delekkerste said:
On 3/14/2022 at 1:01 AM, tth2 said:

Edited 11 hours ago by delekkerste

I haven't consigned to Heritage outside of the comics side, so I can't speak about their other departments.  But on the comics side, Heritage have always been very reasonable, in my experience and others that I've referred to them. 

Obviously it helps to be a big buy side customer, as well as be consigning really nice stuff, to get good terms.    

On 3/24/2022 at 1:00 AM, RBerman said:

This is why although I like Heritage's system, I would very much like for them to have a meaningful rival. The marketplace suffers when one entity dominates it.

It's actually interesting to hear that Heritage aren't as accommodating on the card side, as they are not the 800 lb gorilla in that space, so you'd think they'd be more incentivized to deal, in order to take away market share from the big boys in that space. 

In other words, despite facing very real competition in the cards market, this is not causing them to loosen their terms.

This thread is the most I have ever talked about terms.

I guess there is a fear that you'll get smashed if you draw any unwanted attention. so yeah, no clawback for me. But I am more informed than I was before as a result of the asking, so that is certainly a positive result.

I thought long and hard about where to try and slice that pie and how much to ask for...let's all pool data (send it to me of course) and we can form a regression equation and predict what type of items, # of items, total value, avg value, and % of clawback requested will result in getting some of that fat fat buyers premium!!!

On 3/31/2022 at 7:04 AM, Bird said:

This thread is the most I have ever talked about terms.

I guess there is a fear that you'll get smashed if you draw any unwanted attention. so yeah, no clawback for me. But I am more informed than I was before as a result of the asking, so that is certainly a positive result.

I thought long and hard about where to try and slice that pie and how much to ask for...let's all pool data (send it to me of course) and we can form a regression equation and predict what type of items, # of items, total value, avg value, and % of clawback requested will result in getting some of that fat fat buyers premium!!!

Sorry to hear that, but you're no worse off than you would've been if you hadn't asked at all.

If they won't give you a better deal, and you think you can realize the same price on Comiclink or CC, while paying a lower fee, then the obvious choice is to go with them and let Heritage know that they lost your business because of their inflexibility.

On 3/31/2022 at 12:19 AM, tth2 said:

Sorry to hear that, but you're no worse off than you would've been if you hadn't asked at all.

I am better off with more knowledge, as I said above.

No need to be sorry but thanks.

you think you can realize the same price on Comiclink or CC

I am a bit of a lone wolf collector...but I do make acquaintances. a short while ago I saw one at a show, stopped to talk and 3 more or so quickly stopped as well. I mentioned how nice Vincent has been to me and while I am still using HA when I die wifey has instructions to go to Vincent. I was asked why then am I not using CC now? I thought a moment and asked the 5 or so guys there if any had looked at the upcoming CC auction which was right on top of us at the time...none had. But all had looked at the HA preview already.

they lost your business because of their inflexibility.

not yet they haven't. I had a smaller commission I was willing to take a worse deal on (in recent past) but HA said something to the effect of I get my regular terms even if they are favorable on this consignment. So while rigid I still feel they work for me the best.

Edited by Bird