• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The end of an era . . . estate sales!

21 posts in this topic

In the age of COVID, good old fashion live, in person, estate auctions are dead.

I went to an auction preview last week in rural Indiana for a box of 2.0, 2.5 comics being offered.

In 2019 I would have joyfully driven home after the auction with a nice collection for a bargain.

1967677314_ScreenShot2022-02-18at7_27_37PM.thumb.png.f8cc7e09a67bd376ff688b5cf1a92d3d.png

In 2022, with cootie-free bidding from you keyboard, pay up!

299673164_ScreenShot2022-02-18at7_27_14PM.thumb.png.0a343130ac2f4d4f81379fcbcf48c09b.png

$6250!

:wavingwhiteflag:

It is with a great sense of relief that I am a self-described old time collector with a collection established in the pre-Covid era.

Edited by tabcom

On 2/18/2022 at 5:21 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Got a copy of Superman 22 (right side third down) from the late Gary Arlington of the San Francisco Comic Book Company for $5 in 1971.  Was in high school then, now a retired old coot.

5D874C16-5829-46E3-A945-4DF4765207FE.thumb.jpeg.210055630f3cd9eb1eaa770e9abde19e.jpeg

The great woowoo says high to @BitterOldMan have not seen you at the Berkly shows 

On 2/18/2022 at 8:41 PM, Robot Man said:

Bummer, NICE group of books…

I blame it more on the currently exploding comic market more than anything else. Got a lot of non-comic book people getting in and running prices way up.

Cooties pretty much closed in person estate sales for the past two years. That, and the fact that so little of stuff like this is still out there to find.

About a year ago, I saw this sale pop up with a phone number which I quickly called. They had one of those “each” prices on them. We worked out a deal and I made a 45 minute drive to meet him in the middle of shut down.

He laid them on the hood of my car and I was blown away with the condition. There were even two more books that wern’t in his original photo. Paid him & went home very happy.

Deals like this are very few and far between anymore…:sorry:

A89133C8-6842-49E6-8C4F-370BE3C70A7B.jpeg

Yeah, and two of those books are now MINE...thank you very much...(thumbsu

49911682352_a28c0e4e1a_c.jpg

49911384751_8d1c234d0a_c.jpg

It seems sometimes the best way to sell stuff is in random lots, where all too often the hammer price ends up being more than one might expect for individual issues. I see this with the Sunday Heritage auctions all the time. I lucked out on a lot last year where the most valuable book was buried in the description with a bunch of drek, but I can't count the number of times a lot of a dozen GA books sells for double what I calculate the individual values to add up to. Who is buying this stuff? It can't be dealers, there is no meat left on the bone. 

On 2/19/2022 at 4:15 PM, rjpb said:

It seems sometimes the best way to sell stuff is in random lots, where all too often the hammer price ends up being more than one might expect for individual issues. I see this with the Sunday Heritage auctions all the time. I lucked out on a lot last year where the most valuable book was buried in the description with a bunch of drek, but I can't count the number of times a lot of a dozen GA books sells for double what I calculate the individual values to add up to. Who is buying this stuff? It can't be dealers, there is no meat left on the bone. 

I have actually moved a lot of dreck through local non comic book auction houses with decent success.

I put together a few short boxes of unbagged 10 and 12 cent low grade, maybe incomplete DC, Marvel, Dells, Western and TV shows with even some Classics Sprinkled in. Just make them attractive and with that “out of a garage” find look.

They often go fairly high in auction fever situations. More often than not go to non comic book people who have heard the “big money” comic book news stories. Fun to be there and observe the action. 

FWIW, this crazy "rural estate auction prices" phenomenon has been happening for a while now.  I remember 10 years ago some rural auction in Iowa bringing crazy over market prices for very low grade Detectives, Supermans, Adventures, etc.  I think it's like gambling for some people.  Or a lottery ticket.  The same reason you'll see similar grade raw books sell for more than graded copies- there's a possibility it might be even better!  2c

On 2/19/2022 at 9:01 PM, Robot Man said:

I have actually moved a lot of dreck through local non comic book auction houses with decent success.

I put together a few short boxes of unbagged 10 and 12 cent low grade, maybe incomplete DC, Marvel, Dells, Western and TV shows with even some Classics Sprinkled in. Just make them attractive and with that “out of a garage” find look.

They often go fairly high in auction fever situations. More often than not go to non comic book people who have heard the “big money” comic book news stories. Fun to be there and observe the action. 

What kind of fee does your auction house charge?  I approached one of my local auctions about selling the same kind of stuff you move and my guy said '25%'

I told him I'd write the description and if it goes well, I'll give him some more stuff.  He was firm with the 25%, plus all the fingering my books would have to go thru....

I never went back.

On 2/19/2022 at 9:35 PM, comicstock said:

What kind of fee does your auction house charge?  I approached one of my local auctions about selling the same kind of stuff you move and my guy said '25%'

I told him I'd write the description and if it goes well, I'll give him some more stuff.  He was firm with the 25%, plus all the fingering my books would have to go thru....

I never went back.

25% doesn't seem unreasonable.  Because of the commissions to both buyer and seller, you are only receiving 67% from Heritage (unless your collection is impressive enough to negotiate a better rate).  eBay may charge 15%-20% when various fees are added up, but you also have the hassle of shipping (and 1099 reporting), and the possibility someone may return your books weeks afterward for a refund.  Your auction house will also have to absorb the 2-3% fees that will be charged when payment is inevitably made with a credit card.  The auctioneer has employees, not to mention years (or decades) of building up a clientele plus all of the promotion, venue,  and advertising costs.  A mixed offering of lower-grade non-special books might bring, say, $50.  That's only $12.50 to the auctioneers, before all of the aforementioned overhead.  I'm sure if you had a single $1000 item, you might be able to negotiate a bit better rate, but for smaller lots, 25% doesn't seem unfair.

On 2/18/2022 at 7:41 PM, Robot Man said:

Bummer, NICE group of books…

I blame it more on the currently exploding comic market more than anything else. Got a lot of non-comic book people getting in and running prices way up.

Cooties pretty much closed in person estate sales for the past two years. That, and the fact that so little of stuff like this is still out there to find.

About a year ago, I saw this sale pop up with a phone number which I quickly called. They had one of those “each” prices on them. We worked out a deal and I made a 45 minute drive to meet him in the middle of shut down.

He laid them on the hood of my car and I was blown away with the condition. There were even two more books that wern’t in his original photo. Paid him & went home very happy.

Deals like this are very few and far between anymore…:sorry:

A89133C8-6842-49E6-8C4F-370BE3C70A7B.jpeg

Some great books there Bob. Too bad there weren't more Mystery in Space that's my favorite of the three titles. But at least you scored one Gorilla cover!