• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thrilling Comics 30 CGC (9.9) - is this for real???

23 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2022 at 10:23 AM, Gotham Kid said:

the writing is trademark Church marking

I'm not arguing that the markings are not Church's, I'm simply saying.... "9.9?". 

Did the graders really have to go there?  Wouldn't a 9.8 have made the same statement of awesomeness.

Definitely an amazing comic.  It just shocked me to see 9.9.  Why not just call it a 10?

Edited by gadzukes

On 2/20/2022 at 9:35 AM, gadzukes said:

I'm not arguing that the markings are not Church's, I'm simply saying.... "9.9?". 

Did the graders really have to go there?  Wouldn't a 9.8 have made the same statement of awesomeness.

Definitely an amazing comic.  It just shocked me to see 9.9.  Why not just call it a 10?

Wake up and welcome to the reality!!!

giphy.gif.6c750eade3309b4590921c0e8f0877ff.gif

On 2/20/2022 at 3:18 PM, gadzukes said:

Yes, it's gorgeous..... but 9.9?  Doesn't the writing at the top at least take it to a 9.8.

9.9s are unicorns for the bronze age.  This just seems a little silly.

Kudos to the owner.  What a find.

Were any other "Mile High"s 9.9s?

Knowing the way EC stored his books, I'm guessing this was under a huge pile of books and became a recipient of some staggering 'natural pressing'.  :insane:

It must be an awesome example as this is the old-old label which back in the day were supposed to be graded extremely strictly.

Whatever...what an amazing book. :x 

I wonder if any owner of an Old label Church that gets a 9.9, would have the bottle to re-submit the book for a new case/label etc..... hm

Imagine if it came back lower?  :whatthe: 

On 2/20/2022 at 7:18 AM, gadzukes said:

Yes, it's gorgeous..... but 9.9?  Doesn't the writing at the top at least take it to a 9.8.

On 2/20/2022 at 9:11 AM, Electron said:

I like this one! Incredible copy from one of my favorite GA titles. Interestingly, it's not coded.

I would much rather prefer my Church books if I am lucky enough to have any, to have the signature Church coding on it as opposed to no code.  (thumbsu

On 2/20/2022 at 9:02 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

It must be an awesome example as this is the old-old label which back in the day were supposed to be graded extremely strictly.

Yes, the old-old label books were supposedly graded more strictly according to the old school grading of defects, as compared to now.  (thumbsu

Then again, this doesn't necessariy mean that these would receive the same CGC 9.9 grades today, especially with the subtle but huge emphasis which CGC with their current grading team has placed on additional revenue generating defects to ensure not only maximization of potential for the books, but also maximization of the top and bottom lines for their CCG ownership.  :devil:

I guess this explains why there is supposedly a 10+ months turnaround time now in order to shall we say "prep" the books for grading even before they get sent over to CGC for grading and slabbing.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/20/2022 at 9:21 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

I wonder if any owner of an Old label Church that gets a 9.9, would have the bottle to re-submit the book for a new case/label etc..... hm

Imagine if it came back lower?  :whatthe: 

I don't believe this would be an issue here if the book was submitted for a stright reholder into one of those new pedigree label cases as the original grade should still be valid, as you are not sending in the book for a regrade.  (thumbsu

I believe the only exception to this would be if there are significant and clearly obvious visual defects such as SCS damage or something similar which would then preclude CGC from encasing the book in a new slab with the same grade.  hm  (shrug)