• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I’ve only been wrong for 20 years or so
2 2

29 posts in this topic

Going by decades would be a simple and effective solution.  We will never all agree on start and stop dates for our eras.  Silver isn’t even totally settled now in 2022. But decades beginning with the 80s works well.  Basically we are seeking to split 80 years of comics publishing into defined segments so we can refer to them as such… since the 70s comics have been churned out tirelessly as more collectors got on board.  We now have 40 years of modern, including Copper which has only taken root here on the boards.  Doesn’t everything post !990 feel like modern age books?  Or do you younger guys look at 90s books before you were born as we older guys do about Golden and Atom age?  

On 10/15/2022 at 10:50 AM, Aman619 said:

Going by decades would be a simple and effective solution.  We will never all agree on start and stop dates for our eras.  Silver isn’t even totally settled now in 2022. But decades beginning with the 80s works well.  Basically we are seeking to split 80 years of comics publishing into defined segments so we can refer to them as such… since the 70s comics have been churned out tirelessly as more collectors got on board.  We now have 40 years of modern, including Copper which has only taken root here on the boards.  Doesn’t everything post !990 feel like modern age books?  Or do you younger guys look at 90s books before you were born as we older guys do about Golden and Atom age?  

I'm not a younger guy, but my memories start in the 1980s, so I basically missed Golden, Atom, Silver, and the Bronze ages. There is no need to keep adding non-Olympic medals/metals into the discussion. I understand that Copper means post-Bronze, but not everyone gets that. 1980s means 1980s. 1990s means 1990s. There's no confusion. Whether they intended to or not, there is always some type of shift at the beginning of decades, simply from the artists and writers being human. "It's the 1990s now" was a thought in 1990, and comics generally reflect that thought. "It's the year 2000" was a thought that wasn't there in 1999. Comics never shifted together anyway. D.C. Silver Age begins in 1956, Marvel in 1961. That's half a decade of difference just on the start date for a well-known era for just two publishers, but people are just supposed to know what "Silver" and "Bronze" mean? Nope. It's unnecessary.

1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s, 2020s.

There, I just named 10 uncontroversial periods of comic book history, and not a single metal/medal was needed.

Long live the labels by decades!  (So say I, who am under the age of 50... for a bit longer.)

On 10/15/2022 at 12:04 PM, valiantman said:

I'm not a younger guy, but my memories start in the 1980s, so I basically missed Golden, Atom, Silver, and the Bronze ages. There is no need to keep adding non-Olympic medals/metals into the discussion. I understand that Copper means post-Bronze, but not everyone gets that. 1980s means 1980s. 1990s means 1990s. There's no confusion. Whether they intended to or not, there is always some type of shift at the beginning of decades, simply from the artists and writers being human. "It's the 1990s now" was a thought in 1990, and comics generally reflect that thought. "It's the year 2000" was a thought that wasn't there in 1999. Comics never shifted together anyway. D.C. Silver Age begins in 1956, Marvel in 1961. That's half a decade of difference just on the start date for a well-known era for just two publishers, but people are just supposed to know what "Silver" and "Bronze" mean? Nope. It's unnecessary.

There, I just named 10 uncontroversial periods of comic book history, and not a single metal/medal was needed.

Long live the labels by decades!  (So say I, who am under the age of 50... for a bit longer.)

What all of this ignores is that fans *like* arguing about this stuff.

On 10/15/2022 at 12:04 PM, valiantman said:

I think you’re on to something…

^^

On 9/24/2022 at 11:58 PM, Microchip said:

I've always wondered, what version of Wolvie 1 did the Canadians get, before they went with the full CPV.

There's 3 or more insignia box's on issue 1, surely one of them applies to the Canadian market??

We indeed got the regular newsstand issue with the North American 60 cent cover price...CPV started at #2.  I have my copies of the whole Wolvie MS I bought off the stands at the Perette's corner store on the corner of 90th Ave. and Lasalle Boulevard. I'll send you a pic later ;)