• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bourke J Sweeney - WWII Cartoons - Long Island Artist and How do I get the pages off the cardboard safely? They are glued in dime size spots.
2 2

4 posts in this topic

Around 2016, I wandered into an antique store on Long Island where I found a pile of art pages that had recently been offered for sale from the notebook of Staff Sergeant Bourke J Sweeney (1919 - 1997 or 1998) who served in WWII.  Sweeney. a Long Island native was also a cartoonist that contributed to numerous military magazines during his service.  His art was used in the Midpacifican among other wartime periodicals.  If I remember the notation in the antique store, Sweeney would have his artwork recorded on microfilm which would then be sent to the magazine while he retained the originals.   

Years later his originals found themselves in various hands.  I know that a few universities keep them in their records and of course the pages that were found in the antique store.  When I went back to that antique store a week or two later the entire collection had sold except for a few pieces and the asking prices per page were far greater than the $20 a page I had purchased them for. 

Anyway... the antique store did something... bad... or the family did something that they thought was the right thing to do at the time.  The pages are partially glued to a backing piece of cardboard.   The glue is of unknown origin and age but on one of them.  Any ideas on how to separate these pieces or even if I should? 

Scans of the pages forthcoming. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 2/20/2022 at 7:40 PM, Buzzetta said:

scan0002.thumb.jpg.a56e8466d4e38822eab83fe832de3688.jpg

These are swell. I believe a restorationist can separate these from the glue. I would not attempt it yourself.

It might be costly so get an estimate to decide if it’s worth it to you.

Edited by grapeape