• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Got Back Some Books - VERY Ticked Off
4 4

96 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2022 at 7:45 PM, PovertyRow said:

Are you referring to these? I assume those would have been pressed out if they were present when you received them?

spotlight 32 - back bottom bends.png

spotlight 32 - top right bend.png

The top issue was when the paper was bent backwards. The person pressing the book would have to be blind to miss that before putting the book a bag and sending off to CGC. The ripples in the back cover were from the inner well. When I removed the book from the inner the ripples went away. 

On 2/27/2022 at 5:02 PM, PovertyRow said:

Ms Marvel #1 8.0 WP

bottom staple popped from front cover - this book certainly did not start out with a popped staple, and no sign of one at any angle I can see through the case. Cover and staples were tight with WP. Something happened.

ms marvel 1 staple.png

Are you 100% certain this is the same book you sent? CGC has been known to mix books up. If you compare with a scan before you sent them in, do all your books match up?

On 3/28/2022 at 10:28 PM, joeypost said:

The ripples in the back cover were from the inner well. When I removed the book from the inner the ripples went away. 

Does this mean the inner well was too tight?

First time using CGC and last time. I collected a long time ago, opened my books. Found a marvel spotlight #5. Sent in for cleaning and pressing and grading. Cost 353$. Seen same books graded from them on eBay with worse conditions with better grades then I received. Sold more collectable books I put at grades of 6-6.5 and buyer's agreement was agreed. CGC graded my book at 5.5. I know now the company has flaws in it's process. So glad I'm done doing this after I Sale this crappy graded book.

On 4/6/2022 at 11:27 PM, Tim lahmann said:

First time using CGC and last time. I collected a long time ago, opened my books. Found a marvel spotlight #5. Sent in for cleaning and pressing and grading. Cost 353$. Seen same books graded from them on eBay with worse conditions with better grades then I received. Sold more collectable books I put at grades of 6-6.5 and buyer's agreement was agreed. CGC graded my book at 5.5. I know now the company has flaws in it's process. So glad I'm done doing this after I Sale this crappy graded book.

I'm sorry to hear this, but the "Fine" area of grading is one of the most difficult and misunderstood. In the future, you could always post books in the "Spare a Grade" forum to get other opinions on their condition before submitting them to CGC---there are some very good graders here. But if you decide not to, I understand completely... :foryou:

On 3/29/2022 at 4:31 AM, joeypost said:

In some cases, yea. I see this a lot, but mainly on the top edge so I. Was surprised to see it on the bottom this time around. 

Thanks again. I am shocked CGC found this acceptable as a finished product.

Now I am still waiting on 3 Economy Grading books (Marvel Tales #1 from 1964, Strange Tales #169 (1st Brother Voodoo) and Spotlight #12. They were sent along with these 7 Moderns on 9/29/21. I know the two different tiers will arrive at different times. I got the 7 Moderns back on 2/19/22 (143 calendar days). It has been 195 calendar days so far for the three Economy books. I wonder when these will be coming back. I hope they will be a different set of graders/handlers for these pre-1975 books! I do fear the grades for them!

Edited by PovertyRow

Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2024 at 4:39 AM, fancom said:

I think one has to take pictures before you send in your books. Accidents happen.

I agree if one personally sends them to CGC, but since these were sent out for pressing and submitting to CGC, photos on my part would be less useful.

Should I decide to submit in the future I will have them returned to me so I can image them, image the packaging and be one step closer in the submission chain.

This is NOT a slam on Joey. I absolutely hold him in high esteem.

Edited by PovertyRow

On 1/7/2024 at 7:39 AM, fancom said:

I think one has to take pictures before you send in your books. Accidents happen.

This 100%. Sadly this is a lesson I have learned the hard way as well. 

On 1/10/2024 at 11:22 AM, joeypost said:

It's becoming the new normal for me with books over a certain dollar amount. 

When people send books to you to work on and then submit to CGC on their behalf are you taking before and after pix?

On 1/10/2024 at 2:27 PM, MattTheDuck said:

When people send books to you to work on and then submit to CGC on their behalf are you taking before and after pix?

Sorry, I should have further clarified. I am doing that for my own books, but it may be something I can add soon for customers' books. 

I recently had a potential 9.8 Something is Killing the Children 1 sent in for signing...it came back as a 8.5 with a very noticeable defect on the back cover..looked like someone had crumpled  the spine causing three radial bends thru the back cover (did not send to CCS). I have sent in hundreds of books and I know how to send them thru the mail so they aren't damaged..never had any damage from USPS before this.There is no way this type of damage could have happened inside the parcel..had to happen once removed. There is no accountability from CGC...I will never use them again... although this was the only time it has happened, this was too big a screw up by them for me to want to go back. 

Edited by Ed Hanes