• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel comics #1
8 8

137 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2022 at 4:05 PM, Robot Man said:

I would think he got paid for MPFW. Marvel #1 was basically a reprint wasn’t it? Maybe a reprint rate. Did they do that back then? 

where had the non-subby stuff been printed before?  i should know that.

On 2/21/2022 at 2:07 PM, Straw-Man said:

where had the non-subby stuff been printed before?  i should know that.

Here's the MCS description, which only indicates the Subby stuff was reprinted: "Origin Sub-Mariner (by Bill Everett; 1st 8 pages were produced for Motion Picture Funnies Weekly # 1). Intro Human Torch (by Carl Burgos), Kazar the Great (1st Tarzan clone), the Angel (by Paul Gustavson), the Masked Ranger and his horse Lightning, and Jungle Terror (only appearance). 2-page text story, "Burning Rubber" (by Raymond Gill)."

On 2/21/2022 at 12:03 PM, Timely said:

Borock was given a lot of grief over the years giving it a 9.0, nice to see that wasn't warranted after all!

Would you buy it as a 9.2 Tom?  I would not.

CBCS would be jumping out of their own arseholes to get a chance to grade this book...and would probably grade it a 9.2 as well.

On 2/21/2022 at 4:34 PM, Timely said:

It’s basically a qualified grade by mentioning all the writing on the label and calling it a Pay Copy, why? Because if you or I took another 9.2  copy and scribbled all the same stuff on it, it would NEVER EVER be given a 9.2 grade. All the writing is basically being ignored by cgc as a historic piece of comic lore. It’s a killer book, historically significant but as far as grading goes, inaccurately graded unless treated as a qualified, moderately written on Pay Copy.

Trace the Pay Copy writing that’s on the cover to a Spawn #1 and see what grade it gets from cgc!

You didn't grade it qualified when you worked for CGC.

On 2/21/2022 at 4:21 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Here's the MCS description, which only indicates the Subby stuff was reprinted: "Origin Sub-Mariner (by Bill Everett; 1st 8 pages were produced for Motion Picture Funnies Weekly # 1). Intro Human Torch (by Carl Burgos), Kazar the Great (1st Tarzan clone), the Angel (by Paul Gustavson), the Masked Ranger and his horse Lightning, and Jungle Terror (only appearance). 2-page text story, "Burning Rubber" (by Raymond Gill)."

i knew--my sarcastic objection to it being called a "reprint" book.

On 2/21/2022 at 10:03 AM, Timely said:

Borock was given a lot of grief over the years giving it a 9.0, nice to see that wasn't warranted after all!

Would you buy it as a 9.2 Tom?  I would not.

If you are buying it, you're buying the Pay Copy, and the history it represents, the grade given is of relatively minor importance.