• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel comics #1
8 8

137 posts in this topic

I have zero chance of ever being in the market for a book like this, so my thoughts matter little. 

But for me the writing comes down to “was it on the book before the first time it was offered to anyone to buy?” If so, then it’s no different from a receiver date when it comes to the grade. Writing was already there from the chain of events that pre-dated its availability for sale.

Which is why the same writing on a Spawn 1 is a defect. And this is not. (To me, at least.)

On 2/21/2022 at 10:09 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Why do the colors present better now than when it was a 9.0? Is CC just enhancing the image, compared to when Heritage sold it and I guess presented it as is?

On 2/21/2022 at 12:43 PM, RareHighGrade said:

CC scans are always darker than the actual book.  Sometimes the dark scan makes the book look better, sometimes it makes the book look worse.

Based upon the few books which I have won from the CC Auctions, I would tend to agree with this comment as I have been pleasantly surprised with the colors on some of the actual books, as opposed to their scanned images.  :applause: :)

With the ones which I have won from Heritage, no real unexpected pleasant surprises with the colors, and in fact, a few of the actual books coming in darker than their scanned images.  :p  :frown:

On 2/21/2022 at 2:34 PM, Timely said:

It’s basically a qualified grade by mentioning all the writing on the label and calling it a Pay Copy, why? Because if you or I took another 9.2  copy and scribbled all the same stuff on it, it would NEVER EVER be given a 9.2 grade. All the writing is basically being ignored by cgc as a historic piece of comic lore. It’s a killer book, historically significant but as far as grading goes, inaccurately graded unless treated as a qualified, moderately written on Pay Copy.

Trace the Pay Copy writing that’s on the cover to a Spawn #1 and see what grade it gets from cgc!

Nothing at all historic about the shopping list scrawled on this book here, but any bets that if CGC had not been paid to have one of their employees witness the desecration of this book here, it would not have received even a CGC 4.5 grade, let alone a CGC 8.5 grade:  :fear:  :sick:

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, The Incredible Hulk #181 Signature Series: Stan Lee and Others (Marvel, 1974) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white pages....

On 2/22/2022 at 1:18 AM, lou_fine said:

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, The Incredible Hulk #181 Signature Series: Stan Lee and Others (Marvel, 1974) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white pages....

Somebody is actually equating this here sig series Hulk 181 right here with the Pay Copy Marvel #1?

Only one boardie could do something that silly.

On 2/21/2022 at 10:06 PM, Timely said:

Then why not grade it a 9.4? Who cares, right?

Because it isn't a 9.4. It is a 9.0 to 9.2.

On 2/22/2022 at 6:53 AM, MrBedrock said:

Somebody is actually equating this here sig series Hulk 181 right here with the Pay Copy Marvel #1?

Only one boardie could do something that silly.

Since the entire gist of the conversation of these two posts was about the differences in how CGC handles writing on a cover, I guess the only one boardie you must be referring to is YOU yourself.  lol

On 2/22/2022 at 6:30 AM, pmpknface said:

I'm a huge Marvel guy.  I own around 30k books and 90% of them must be Marvel.  I'm not in the market for anything like this and most of my $ goes to funding my LB Cole need these days, but in my personal opinion this is THE book.  I recall the Heritage catalog that had this back in I think 2006 and I was happy to just have the catalog to look at that had this book.  There may be better copies, but the significance would mean a lot to someone like me.  Good luck to any future bidders on this one!  I envy the heck outta you!  

You certainly have an impressive set of Coles :headbang:

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 2/21/2022 at 11:43 PM, lighthouse said:

I have zero chance of ever being in the market for a book like this, so my thoughts matter little. 

But for me the writing comes down to “was it on the book before the first time it was offered to anyone to buy?” If so, then it’s no different from a receiver date when it comes to the grade. Writing was already there from the chain of events that pre-dated its availability for sale.

Which is why the same writing on a Spawn 1 is a defect. And this is not. (To me, at least.)

What a great way of putting it .... I'm glad I thought of it :bigsmile: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 2/21/2022 at 11:18 PM, lou_fine said:

Nothing at all historic about the shopping list scrawled on this book here, but any bets that if CGC had not been paid to have one of their employees witness the desecration of this book here, it would not have received even a CGC 4.5 grade, let alone a CGC 8.5 grade:  :fear:  :sick:

That is one of the saddest images I've every seen.🤦‍♂️

On 2/22/2022 at 9:57 AM, MrBedrock said:

It is ridiculous statements like this one here that makes me laugh at everything you post. I don't ignore your posts, I simply laugh at them. Every single one of them.

Have you ever spoken to a professional about your seemingly ongoing need to make your usual signature condescending posts to attack boardies who write posts that might run counter to your views on the comic book marketplace or hobby?  It certainly makes me wonder why you need to show us your seeming superiority and your need to have the last word on every issue all the time, instead of trying to be more inclusive.  hm  

Although I've been warned in PM's by other boardies about your rather infamous behavior here, it's really kind of sad to see some of them leave the boards as a result of this since some of them were really good board members with a lot of knowledge and love for this hobby of ours.  Especially since (well at least from my point of view :)) you are clearly a dedicated long time comic book collector and successful dealer with an absolutely amazingly fantastic personal collection that would be the envy of any collector, that it would seem to be beneath you to try to be the resident internet bully on these boards here.  :frown:

No doubt you'll get more good laughs at my post here as you do with every single one of them and you'll launch your usual condescending or snarky retorts in response.  But that's okay and I don't have a real problem with it, as you do you.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/22/2022 at 6:30 PM, Krydel4 said:

That is one of the saddest images I've every seen.🤦‍♂️

How double dare you come onto these very boards here and discuss or opine about a Signature copy of Hulk 181 on a thread about the Pay Copy of Marvel 1, as only yours truly could do something that silly.  (tsk)  lol

On 2/23/2022 at 3:11 AM, lou_fine said:

Have you ever spoken to a professional about your seemingly ongoing need to make your usual signature condescending posts to attack boardies who write posts that might run counter to your views on the comic book marketplace or hobby?  It certainly makes me wonder why you need to show us your seeming superiority and your need to have the last word on every issue all the time, instead of trying to be more inclusive.  hm  

Although I've been warned in PM's by other boardies about your rather infamous behavior here, it's really kind of sad to see some of them leave the boards as a result of this since some of them were really good board members with a lot of knowledge and love for this hobby of ours.  Especially since (well at least from my point of view :)) you are clearly a dedicated long time comic book collector and successful dealer with an absolutely amazingly fantastic personal collection that would be the envy of any collector, that it would seem to be beneath you to try to be the resident internet bully on these boards here.  :frown:

No doubt you'll get more good laughs at my post here as you do with every single one of them and you'll launch your usual condescending or snarky retorts in response.  But that's okay and I don't have a real problem with it, as you do you.  (thumbsu

i'm an attorney; does that count?