• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel comics #1
8 8

137 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2022 at 12:18 PM, Terry JSA said:

Oh how times are different.

That would be a book I’d let no one read. lol

There's that famous video from the 70s where the comic nerd goes onto a talk show and let's the guests toss around his untagged supes 1.  Just fascinating to watch, and rhe surprise guest at the end just bowled me over.  

https://youtu.be/P9wRii6aiUk

On 2/25/2022 at 6:43 PM, waaaghboss said:

There's that famous video from the 70s where the comic nerd goes onto a talk show and let's the guests toss around his untagged supes 1.  Just fascinating to watch, and rhe surprise guest at the end just bowled me over.  

https://youtu.be/P9wRii6aiUk

I watched the interview and to see a Famous Funnies #1 and Superman #1 passed around like that hurts my soul. :facepalm:

I mean.. to hear that a Superman #1 was worth $1500 in the year of 1977 is insane.

On 2/26/2022 at 3:42 PM, lou_fine said:

you do have an Action 1, 'Tec 27

Which were both restored, I believe, which is probably why people were able to open it up and read it.

On 2/26/2022 at 3:42 PM, lou_fine said:

also a Church copy of Fantastic 3 which ended up being graded as a CGC 9.4 graded copy that sold for some $243K a few years ago

Which is NOT being taken out of its mylar.

On 2/26/2022 at 12:43 AM, tth2 said:

Too high or too low?

A few years after Mitch bought his Action #1, Burrell Rowe's picture appeared in newspapers holding Superman #1 that he had bought for, I believe, $2000 .  So $1500 may not be too far off given its condition.

Just for fun, if someone has them, kindly check the Overstreet Price Guide for 1977 and 1978 so that we can see what the guide was on it.

Edited by pemart1966

On 2/26/2022 at 3:15 PM, Crowzilla said:

Looks like a 9.6 there, what did you do to it?

That's Jon holding the book and me taking the picture.  At the time I told Jon it was a 9.4.

On 2/26/2022 at 5:57 AM, tth2 said:
On 2/25/2022 at 11:42 PM, lou_fine said:

you do have an Action 1, 'Tec 27

Which were both restored, I believe, which is probably why people were able to open it up and read it.

Totally get your POV here, but just glad that Jon had a change of heart and decided to retrieve both of these crapola POS books from the recycle bin after they had finished thrashing their way through them.  :p  lol

Especially since he was still able to sell them both for over $700K by the time it was all said and done. :applause:  :takeit:

On 2/26/2022 at 11:42 AM, adamstrange said:

When Jon visited me...

Fantastic3Church.jpg

On 2/26/2022 at 11:56 AM, Dark Knight said:

Wow!!  That is impressive!  Like coming out of the printing presses :applause:

On 2/26/2022 at 12:09 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Talk about WHITE pages! :whatthe:

Definitely best of the best with the next highest graded Universal copy coming in at only a mere CGC Fine 6.0 grade.  :whatthe:

With this Church copy coming in at a highest grade by a long shot at CGC 9.4, it almost makes me wonder if Fishler gave any thought to buying this copy for himself, especially since he was seemingly so intent on cornering the market on this book back in the day.  hm  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine