• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Laziness, Recycling, and Swipes in the Modern Age

15 posts in this topic

Looks like there aren't any recent threads dedicated to this topic in the Modern Age. They have a pretty interesting and entertaining thread over in the GA section of this topic. I highly suggest people check it out.

In the meantime, I was just reading back issues of Wolverine, specifically going through old Adam Kubert era work, and I was compelled to come and post this. 

I AM IN SHOCK. I am actually angry at this artist, Mr. Fabio Laguna, artist for Wolverine (1988 series) #89.

I cannot believe how badly this guy swiped images. This is literally in the comic book.

And there are tons more! I just couldn't be bothered to post more images. What a disgrace!

Anyone else know of really bad swipe artists?

swipe5.JPG

swipe4.JPG

swipe3.JPG

swipe2.JPG

swipe1.JPG

On 2/21/2022 at 11:55 PM, D2 said:

Looks like there aren't any recent threads dedicated to this topic in the Modern Age. They have a pretty interesting and entertaining thread over in the GA section of this topic. I highly suggest people check it out.

In the meantime, I was just reading back issues of Wolverine, specifically going through old Adam Kubert era work, and I was compelled to come and post this. 

I AM IN SHOCK. I am actually angry at this artist, Mr. Fabio Laguna, artist for Wolverine (1988 series) #89.

I cannot believe how badly this guy swiped images. This is literally in the comic book.

And there are tons more! I just couldn't be bothered to post more images. What a disgrace!

swipe5.JPG

swipe4.JPG

swipe3.JPG

swipe2.JPG

swipe1.JPG

Can you post the images these were swiped from?

On 2/21/2022 at 11:55 PM, D2 said:

You're shocked about a book from 1988? There are artists that do it now and see get a lot of regular work.

On 2/24/2022 at 8:24 AM, ygogolak said:

You're shocked about a book from 1988? There are artists that do it now and see get a lot of regular work.

That’s why a thread should exist…

On 2/25/2022 at 11:30 AM, Broke as a Joke said:

Back then Marvel was encouraging artists to copy the styles of Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld. When they left to form Image there was a slew of copycat guys that work.

I think there will always be artists that follow and mimic artistic styles of their favourites  

Viktor Bogdanovic is a new artist that absolutely shocked me when I first saw his work. He has done such a crazy job at following Greg Capullo’s techniques, to a point where, when Capullo rushes his work, I actually prefer Bogdanovic. Capullo himself mimicked McFarlane…

But I sincerely believe there is a fundamental difference between, heavily influenced, and straight out swiping other artists’ work.

A swipe, in my eyes, takes zero effort, and only requires tracing. It’s blatant theft.

Greg Land, although maybe not swiping directly from other people’s drawings, is still tracing photographs.

Francesco Mattina is another one who seems to steal.

On 2/22/2022 at 4:55 AM, D2 said:

swipe5.JPG

swipe4.JPG

swipe3.JPG

swipe2.JPG

swipe1.JPG

You owe me a dollar! :sumo:

There was a guy on the bay who was pumping out painted blank covers. The style was mostly blotting from what I remember but overall the pieces were pretty appealing. 

For my nieces birthday I got her one of those kiddy projector things for drawing. Software can outline any photo and project it onto a piece of paper. My niece took some paint and started dabbing and blotting and was pumping out some decent pieces. Makes you wonder.

Edited by nines