• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

End of a Collecting Era
3 3

42 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2022 at 11:21 PM, Moondog said:

Hi Everyone.  After nearly 40 years I've decided to sell my last 4 ashcans - Superman Comics, Superwoman, Superboy and Supergirl. I never thought the day would come when I would sell, but as I get older I keenly understand that nothing is forever. I consigned them to the April Heritage auction.

I'll never forget that moment in November 1985 at a Chicago Mini-con when Joe Desris handed me a small stack of books that Sol Harrison had given him.  In that stack was Superman Comics and Wonder Woman.  They sported black and white covers!  What was I looking at?  "Ashcans, Gary," Joe said.  And from that moment I was hooked.  I wanted to learn WHAT they were.  WHY they were.  WHERE they came from and WHO created them. After purchasing the first batch I bought an additional 30 over the next 2 years.  Then I started buying them wherever I could find them eventually owning 40 or so issues.

Those of you who know me understand the passion I've had for these books.  Their journey from cool pop culture curiosities to finally being recognized as important historical documents was a long one, but one that I was willing to travel. 

I've truly enjoyed being the only person on the entire planet to own this set of comics.  Now it's time to move on and let the next generation of collectors care for them.

It sounds like you're doing it on your terms, which is itself a great thing.  :foryou:

It will be very interesting to see what sort of interest they attract.

I looked them up. If the image results are correct, they are very cool. Especially the Superman one. I can't imagine having something one of a kind and parting with it, but I'm happy for your decision. 

On 2/22/2022 at 12:21 AM, Moondog said:

Hi Everyone.  After nearly 40 years I've decided to sell my last 4 ashcans - Superman Comics, Superwoman, Superboy and Supergirl. I never thought the day would come when I would sell, but as I get older I keenly understand that nothing is forever. I consigned them to the April Heritage auction.

I'll never forget that moment in November 1985 at a Chicago Mini-con when Joe Desris handed me a small stack of books that Sol Harrison had given him.  In that stack was Superman Comics and Wonder Woman.  They sported black and white covers!  What was I looking at?  "Ashcans, Gary," Joe said.  And from that moment I was hooked.  I wanted to learn WHAT they were.  WHY they were.  WHERE they came from and WHO created them. After purchasing the first batch I bought an additional 30 over the next 2 years.  Then I started buying them wherever I could find them eventually owning 40 or so issues.

Those of you who know me understand the passion I've had for these books.  Their journey from cool pop culture curiosities to finally being recognized as important historical documents was a long one, but one that I was willing to travel. 

I've truly enjoyed being the only person on the entire planet to own this set of comics.  Now it's time to move on and let the next generation of collectors care for them.

Good for you, and I hope they do great.   The Superman is amazing but I suspect will be out of my budget.   Good luck!

Obviously its sad when a long time collector moves on from their prized possessions but again, always nice when it is done on your terms. I wish you best of luck on the sales and I am sure the knowledge you have has been shared with others who can carry on that passion (and hopefully add one of these awesome pieces to their collections should they desire it).

On 2/22/2022 at 12:21 AM, Moondog said:

Who are you? (shrug)

Is CGC certifying these  Given the provenance and chain of ownership, pretty shocking should CGC not do that.  But, my recollection is that CGC took a shocking position in the past.  Anyone know the status on that?  EDITED:  Looks like CGC will grade them now.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 2/22/2022 at 10:05 AM, october said:

Good luck Gary!

I need to find the pic I took when we did the bank trip with Brad to see these. My favorite was the Action ashcan. That thing was amazing. 

On 2/22/2022 at 2:07 PM, adamstrange said:

Pretty sketchy set of characters handling the books...

Andy and Brad Ashcans.jpg

Alan, the bank made them check their backpacks at the door.  Frisked 'em too. 

Andy, the Action was right up your alley.  No question it's the first pre-code horror cover.  By a wide margin.