• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Card is damaged in CGC Case
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hey Guys

I need some informations and help with a problem.

I got a Pokemon Card graded and the card was super clean on his back. The pictures in the CGC Cert report are not really showing any issues. 

But when I received the card yesterday, I saw some white spots, which wasn't on the card before.

Im really happy about any opinion.322f35ad-66c1-4989-8d6b-910c2d2934f9.thumb.JPG.3a66bd57083e09d2b7a9d40383b42dd7.JPGIMG_0722.thumb.PNG.cef85504cff7d4c74d5a0c2aa7938f42.PNG

• Administrator
On 2/24/2022 at 1:57 AM, Tesafix said:

Sounds Great, just over the submission form or another way?

There is a mechanical error option on the submission form. It will also give you a return label.

Mike

On 2/23/2022 at 8:03 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hello

We can do a free reholder.  I think the card is fine.

Thanks,

Mike

I did a reholder and I got a phone call that because of how the card was opened there was surface damage and I got bumped down from a 9 to an 8.  Be forewarned @Tesafix

Update! Received my 8 cards back that I sent in for this mechanical error. I commend CGC for taking back errors and correcting them with no questions asked, not many companies would do that. 

Results- All 8 have been reslabbed, and 6 out of the 8 have been corrected. The 6 have no more visible spots. Overall happy. 

I’m not mad about the other 2 since they were lower value cards. But I can take away some alarming/baffling things from those: 

- the 2 cards in question are 9.5s. I stated in the notes for each one that the backs don’t match the backs of the image scans on the cert. There are added spots. The ME dept literally reslabbed these, after cleaning them slightly (you can tell the difference in the one I’m posting here, with the pic of it in my previous comment showing it before I sent back for ME) when they are clearly no longer a 9.5 and still don’t match the image scans. Yet they were put back into the wild when they clearly do not match the grade they have. I would have happily just taken the small insured value if you couldn’t fix them fully. So @CGC Mike this proves the damage actually is to the cards themselves in these cases. Some fixable and some not (even though the “not” should not have been reslabbed and returned)

Due to the fact of the remaining spots on those 2.. my guess as to the root cause was condensation that somehow got in the slabs (my climate was extra cold when they were originally shipped)

Cert page photos of this 1 example of the 2: https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/3884223028/

86776949-FCAB-4F63-9987-02C680FA631F.jpeg

Edited by JohnBurke