• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you look in a $4 box?
3 3

74 posts in this topic

While everyone is digging thru new $1 boxes I’ll typically take a look at the newly priced books/key boxes first. (The stuff that hasn’t hit the wall due to space). $1 books are plentiful and take too much time. I circle back to those last. You can find a $30-100 book in the $1 bins but an underpriced $200-300 book in the key boxes for probably 10-20x the cost of a dollar comic. Yes, I’d rather pay $20 for a $200 comic than $1 for a $80-100 comic. Bigger profit 

On 2/24/2022 at 4:50 PM, littledoom said:

While everyone is digging thru new $1 boxes I’ll typically take a look at the newly priced books/key boxes first. (The stuff that hasn’t hit the wall due to space). $1 books are plentiful and take too much time. I circle back to those last. You can find a $30-100 book in the $1 bins but an underpriced $200-300 book in the key boxes for probably 10-20x the cost of a dollar comic. Yes, I’d rather pay $20 for a $200 comic than $1 for a $80-100 comic. Bigger profit 

My disagreement with this is predicated upon being able to grade to CGC's standards.  I would rather find 9.8 books with astronomical deltas between 9.4 and 9.8. I have found many of those in $1 bins over the years.  I've been out of comics since 2016, but I still get the urge to dig through longboxes for high grade scores. I would have a huge problem with today's lag time between submission and receipt of slabs. We used to complain about 10 weeks for fast track back in the day . . .:preach:

On 2/24/2022 at 1:55 PM, seanfingh said:

My disagreement with this is predicated upon being able to grade to CGC's standards.  I would rather find 9.8 books with astronomical deltas between 9.4 and 9.8. I have found many of those in $1 bins over the years.  I've been out of comics since 2016, but I still get the urge to dig through longboxes for high grade scores. I would have a huge problem with today's lag time between submission and receipt of slabs. We used to complain about 10 weeks for fast track back in the day . . .:preach:

It’s also about satisfaction and fulfillment. I’m not interested in Alpha Flight 1 or Spawn 1s or anything abundant and commonly overprinted from the 80s or 90s.. it’s gotta be rarer even if Alpha Flight 1 sells for a lot in 9.8 which it does to your point

On 2/24/2022 at 4:58 PM, littledoom said:

It’s also about satisfaction and fulfillment. I’m not interested in Alpha Flight 1 or Spawn 1s or anything abundant and commonly overprinted from the 80s or 90s.. it’s gotta be rarer even if Alpha Flight 1 sells for a lot in 9.8 which it does to your point

I used to get a lot of satisfaction, and a sizeable amount of fulfillment as well, from pulling a $1 book, slabbing it and selling it for $200+

B|

I've found great stuff digging through $1, $2, $3 bins over the years, and still do. Man, I have no shame. I've bought books from dealers who've blown out stock for a dime, quarter, or fifty cents a book back in the day. I'm there. I'll look for books to fill runs, slab in 9.8 to keep or sell, to find great readers, lots of reasons. The hunt is part of the fun of collecting or finding books to resell. Don't get me wrong, I'm also looking at wall books and digging through other boxes too. It only takes seconds to flip through a box and determine if it's worth spending any more time whether it be a $1 box or $20 box. Why is it beneath people? Lots of gems to be had.

So many times I've witnessed people gravitate only to the wall books and spend no time looking in boxes. I sometimes get asked if there's anything good. The answer is always no.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:56 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

With limited time at large shows, you need to prioritize your time and prepare a plan to hit the key dealers, artists, Signature opportunities and panels to make the most of the show.

having said that, I wouldn’t spend time on $4 boxes, but I would consider looking through some $20 boxes

I’d like to go through some decent $20 boxes right now.  Someone go start a $20 thread :popcorn:

On 2/24/2022 at 10:00 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’d like to go through some decent $20 boxes right now.  Someone go start a $20 thread :popcorn:

Hmmm....that's an interesting thought.  Is it against the rules to start a thread in the sales forum that would allow ANYONE to post a book that cost $20 shipped with the understanding that payment would be through Paypal goods and services.  I mean, are you allowed to let other people sell books on your thread and  mail the book to the buyer?  (sort of like ebay operates).  

If that's allowable...there could be a $20 thread

On 2/24/2022 at 10:36 PM, Westy Steve said:

Hmmm....that's an interesting thought.  Is it against the rules to start a thread in the sales forum that would allow ANYONE to post a book that cost $20 shipped with the understanding that payment would be through Paypal goods and services.  I mean, are you allowed to let other people sell books on your thread and  mail the book to the buyer?  (sort of like ebay operates).  

If that's allowable...there could be a $20 thread

It costs me $20 to ship a single book with tracking :insane:

On 2/24/2022 at 8:24 PM, letsgrumble said:

to find great readers, lots of reasons. The hunt is part of the fun of collecting

Yes, this too!  I've found lots of great runs to READ in dollar boxes!  Especially some really great Vertigo stories, etc.  I consider it a win if I find a complete miniseries that I've been curious to read, which happens once in a while.  $4 for a complete miniseries is better than paying $15 for the trade paperback, with the added bonus of being the actual original issues. 
Did I mention I'm poor and a cheapskate?  :cool:

If I am at a show I just look at wall books.  But I always notice tons of people in $1 boxes.  Some trying to fill runs or maybe find just a good read.  I will look in LCS $1 boxes.  Once years ago I pulled out three Avatar Goon #1s and three #3s.  I asked them 3 times are you sure these belong in the $1 bin?They kept saying yes.  I bought them and sent all to be graded, I got a split of 9.8 and 9.6 on them without any pressing.  One was truly a gift 9.8 as I could visually see spine tics on it.  Not that long ago I pulled out Eniac 1-4 all first prints from another LCS.  I asked the owner if these were $1 books and he said yes. 

On 2/23/2022 at 4:11 PM, Westy Steve said:

Im hearing there is a market for $20 boxes. That’s encouraging. I’d rather give someone a great deal than have to individually price $5 or $10 books. 

I personally wouldn't look in a $4/5/10 box because nothing on my list fits in those price ranges (either a bunch of more recent stuff that I'd look in the dollar box for, or stuff more than 60 years old). But, if I was in that market, I certainly would - but only if it was sorted. I even avoid the dollar boxes that are just a jumbled mess, since I'm looking for a few selected items and it's not worth my time to dig thru dozens of mixed up stuff.