• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you look in a $4 box?
3 3

74 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2022 at 7:04 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

This thread has me jonesing to go bin diving :insane:

E6A9753D-5FE0-4DA6-AB60-783C73D27931.webp

Yeah I got to be honest, I just wanted some opinions on how best to organize myself for setting up at shows. But the answers have been very interesting and I’ve learned much more than I expected.  We don’t really talk about our buying tactics much here.

I am such a comic whore. I dig thru everything. I am the guy on the floor looking thru boxes
under the table. 

I love all the snobby elitist collectors who won't look in $1 boxes. You help make me good money
each year. 

Thank you

Edited by fastballspecial

I have dug through comic boxes at shows and stores but I don't look as much as I used to and here are my reasons.

1. Lack of comic knowledge focused in the era I was out of comics entirely. From 1990 to 2004 I was not collecting or buying comics. Unless it is a known key I will admit that I don't really know if the book I find in the box is a deal or not unless I have heard of it. It is the same for me for more modern books because my area of collecting for personal is older books. While I do buy modern comics it is limited to books where the cover catches my eye. Generally my opinion is if I like the cover so will someone else.

2. I make the assumption that the box at a show or LCS has been dug 100's of times before me so anything of any interest has been pulled already so it is in my opinion a waste of my time.

3. I buy a few collections and the ones that I acquire probably have whatever is in those boxes anyways. 

4. I have around 100 long boxes full of books from 1980-present day acquired by buying collections I am trying to sell.

5. I have a comic partner @thehumantorch who doesn't mind digging boxes. 

Edited by Artboy99

I usually avoid the dollar boxes unless I'm looking to fill a run of something modern but will check out the $4/5 if the stock seems to be in my scope. I prefer $10-20 boxes as they tend to have more of the odd bronze age titles in higher grade.

I rarely look in the $5 to $20 boxes.  Most of the books look nice on quick views, but they end up having some kind of damage on them and that is why that gem is those boxes. 

I admire the people who come into the LCS and leave with a huge stack of $1books.  I looked quickly in a LCS $1 BIN yesterday and it had a lot of recent books that were just a few months old as well as nice single digit Spawns all in 8.5 to 9.4+ condition.  He tends to put some small gems in there to make it worthwhile to dig.  If you buy enough books the price drops to .25.

Edited by toro

On 2/26/2022 at 11:55 PM, fastballspecial said:

I am such a comic whore. I dig thru everything. I am the guy on the floor looking thru boxes
under the table. 

I love all the snobby elitist collectors who won't look in $1 boxes. You help make me good money
each year. 

Thank you

This all the way.  

My legs are always sore after a show from digging in floor boxes.  The only thing I won't suffer (and you'll know these if you live in FL) are Joe's .50 boxes because of how he packs them.  It's always two unbagged comics and then a bagged/boarded one.  Realllly makes finding a rhythm hard.  

I've been hitting the $5 and up boxes recently and having good luck but there's nothing like unsorted $1 bins from a new dealer :cloud9:

On 2/27/2022 at 8:18 AM, Drake Dragoon said:

I wouldn't place a box of $20 comics out in the open for the general public to mishandle. Careless shoppers could decrease the value of every comic they flip though.

But if they damage a $1 comic, it's still worth $1 to someone.

And yet many dealers do it all of the time, even books priced at $50+.

On 2/27/2022 at 8:52 PM, Westy Steve said:

I'll double-board and the box won't be packed stupid-tight.  Ever watch people bend every book backwards because the box is tight?

I have box dived for Warren horror comics, seems they aren't as important as the comic books.🤔  I thought to myself I must really love these books to have to sit on the ground by a busy table, in the middle of a show, and thumbing through all this carp. I did buy a boat load though.

On 2/28/2022 at 6:18 AM, oakman29 said:

I have box dived for Warren horror comics, seems they aren't as important as the comic books

If you can find those in decent condition for $4, quality as well as great buys.