• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Truckee meadows collection
13 13

216 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2022 at 9:21 AM, ThothAmon said:

These books are fantastic and deserve a pedigree, although that ship has sailed. Can’t remember if the collection contains early Showcases?    Im curious how these unicorns hold up to the apparent stagflation in the economy. Probably very well. 

Very light on Showcase. Less than five total I believe.

On 5/9/2022 at 8:07 AM, lighthouse said:

Most studies show the average person loses a half inch per decade after age 40. I lost a half inch in my 30s and a full inch in my 40s.

My friends actually haven’t noticed it as much because my posture is better now than it was when I was young, so I routinely stand closer to my full height rather than slouching.

A buddy of mine from high school was 6’9” at age 22. He’s below 6’7” now. No injury. Just luck of the draw and battling the only truly undefeated enemy, gravity.

I thought I read something about this being attributable to the loss of disc height in our spines as we age, but I could be remembering incorrectly...

I'd assume some people have less disk degeneration than others, which could explain why some people lose height and others don't?

Okay, back to the Truckee Meadows books...strong result on the Flash #139 in the most recent Heritage auction...congrats! (worship)

On 5/9/2022 at 11:53 AM, silverseeker said:

Okay, back to the Truckee Meadows books...strong result on the Flash #139 in the most recent Heritage auction...congrats! (worship)

Thanks. I think all but two of the Sunday books were new highs in grade. The Avengers 11 was a “bargain” for someone. As was the 7.5 Green Lantern 13. But for the rest of the books, Heritage did Heritage things.

(Some were obviously new highs just because it had been so long since they were available, the tide lifted all boats.)

On 5/7/2022 at 9:46 AM, lighthouse said:

At one point I was two meters. But cartilage compresses over time. I’m barely over 6’ 5” these days.

You’ll find me standing in the back of a few group pics from forum dinners a million years ago. Including the dinner the night @greggywas crowned Short-Shorts.

? Loss of height due to too many hours hunched over long boxes sorting through great comic collections

On 5/11/2022 at 12:48 AM, lighthouse said:

Actually I don’t do this at all.

In a past life I was the guy doing injury prevention training for hundreds of union workers including ergonomics.

All my comic “work” is done at a height around 44” off the floor. No hunching. :)

More importantly, you won’t find a single long box on display in my shop, and every collection we get that includes them, the long boxes get swapped out for shorts and discarded. Long boxes are the devil. Short boxes are stronger, more durable, and can be carried with elbows tight to your hips so there’s no end range movement. Plus they do less damage to comics. A  long box 75% full is empty enough for 170 comics to slide down and get permanently curled. A pair of short boxes each 75% full don’t have enough room for comics to sag far enough to be damaged.

Whether it’s moving them from this table to that one, loading and unloading them from racks, loading and unloading them from dollies, or loading and unloading them into and out of a car, I’d rather move 100 short boxes than 10 long boxes. Long boxes are the devil.

QFT!

you sure know your ergonomics (thumbsu

On 5/12/2022 at 11:09 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Wow how fresh and tight are these copies

@ Lighthouse can you please ask heritage to fix their search function?

I type in Truckee and nothing comes up☹️

They don’t show up until a few days before the items are live for bidding. It’s an automated tag that gets added when the items get pushed into the “current” status. If you search past items it correctly pulls all 16 so far.

There are two books in the May 16 weekly. The June Signatures open bidding May 26th (possibly a day or two earlier, the April books were early by a day). 

On 5/6/2022 at 6:46 PM, lighthouse said:

At one point I was two meters. But cartilage compresses over time. I’m barely over 6’ 5” these days.

You’ll find me standing in the back of a few group pics from forum dinners a million years ago. Including the dinner the night @greggywas crowned Short-Shorts.

Forum.jpg.b715a2d5a0b1915a77c367a9a2da44a8.jpg

I type in Truckee and nothing comes up☹️

They’ve now pushed twenty books into the search function. Some in weekly and some in June Signature. But now searchable by Truckee Meadows.

On 5/12/2022 at 1:22 PM, lighthouse said:

A few more fresh scans from the June Signature.

368D8517-E60F-44D7-8365-C03F16D530C0.jpeg

B542FCFF-8F03-4EEB-A4E3-24329A05E721.jpeg

30A75A0D-FA7A-4E02-8F88-D87AA45B3978.jpeg

What an absolutely unbelieveable and amazing collection, especially since it seems that every single book has White pages which must be unheard of for books from this early SA time period.  :luhv:  :applause:

While you are asking Heritage about their Search function, ask them to check their scanner because it makes it look like a white line running down the length of the spine edge for these 3 books or is that just the natural fold for these 3 books?  hm

On 5/16/2022 at 10:44 PM, lou_fine said:

What an absolutely unbelieveable and amazing collection, especially since it seems that every single book has White pages which must be unheard of for books from this early SA time period.  :luhv:  :applause:

While you are asking Heritage about their Search function, ask them to check their scanner because it makes it look like a white line running down the length of the spine edge for these 3 books or is that just the natural fold for these 3 books?  hm

The books are just too darn glossy to be contained. Much as you might try, their gloss is going to reflect light from somewhere. :p

Sadly I have a couple other projects I’m working on the next couple weeks. But I expect to push 200-300 of the Truckee Meadows books through CGC in June and July. And I need to send Heritage another 50 or so.

In the meantime there’s two in the May 16 weekly (bidding started yesterday), nine in the May 30 weekly, eighteen in the June Signature (bidding starts next week), four in a June 7 weekly, and two (so far) in the September Signature.

Donut has tried to talk me into bringing a couple hundred Truckee Meadows books to the Baltimore show in October. We will see.

Thanks for sharing all these...such amazing copies. Tons of work I'm sure but wow it has to be the best part-time job ever (for a comic lover). Just curious, I don't remember you mentioning if you had any of the big books pressed?