• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Truckee meadows collection
13 13

216 posts in this topic

On 4/6/2022 at 8:52 PM, lighthouse said:

For now I’m still in triage mode. Dividing the collection into what amounts to three piles. Pile that is off to Heritage, pile we will slab and sell directly, and pile we will sell raw. As part of that process, I sent off around 30 grading samples as a double check. I’ve slabbed around 4,000 moderns over the years and am 95+% accurate on my screening for 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, and 9.8 with those. Hand me a high grade raw New Mutants 98 and I’ll get the CGC grade right 19 times out of 20 (fully admit I won’t have that accuracy with a 7.0 of the same book).

But I haven’t seen or slabbed anywhere NEAR that volume of high grade 1961-1965. And deciding which pile to put these in required some level of accuracy. So I sent off samples I specifically expected to get 7.5, 8.0, 8.5, 9.0, and 9.2 as well as a few “I think this is a 9.4 but can that possibly be right?” and two “Um, this sure looks like a 9.6 and that’s what I’m writing down but I’m prepared to look silly when it comes back.”

So far both I pegged at 9.6 came back exactly 9.6, and I’m running about 80-85% accurate on the rest. That’s probably good enough for what I’m looking for. So the triage process can go forward in earnest.

Heritage has more books queued up already for the June Signature Auction. And has a few dozen books in process on their end. I won’t comment specifically on what those books are until Heritage publishes the items. But more are coming.

On the direct sale side, nothing is available yet. I expect the entire collection to take two years to process, maybe even a bit longer. But the earliest books should be available this summer.

Can you please stop killing us with the suspense and just let us know if some of the June heritage books will be keys and # 1s??🙂

On 4/6/2022 at 7:51 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Can you please stop killing us with the suspense and just let us know if some of the June heritage books will be keys and # 1s??🙂

Yes. :p

On 4/6/2022 at 8:54 AM, october said:

Are you going to sell any of the raw stuff or lower end slabs here?

Likely yes. I’ve done VERY little mail order in the last few years. The shop does no eBay, no website orders, etc. Over 2/3 of the packages I’ve shipped out in the last 3 years were to CGC rather than to customers. And my local customers keep me busy to the tune of 75 hours a week. So the infrastructure isn’t there for volume shipping. But we were already in the process of adding additional staff, and when I feel like we can maintain an appropriate service level with mail order, we will go that route. 

On 4/6/2022 at 7:51 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

I suppose I can say this.

The second-most valuable book in the Truckee Meadows collection wasn’t in the April Auction. It’s in the June Signature Auction.

On 4/7/2022 at 2:30 PM, lighthouse said:
On 4/6/2022 at 4:51 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

I suppose I can say this.

The second-most valuable book in the Truckee Meadows collection wasn’t in the April Auction. It’s in the June Signature Auction.

Must be a Hulk 1 hm

On 4/7/2022 at 5:43 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Any GA Detectives in the collection ?

Thank you.

Yes. Earliest is a 43, I believe. But the collector was far more interested in Superman than Batman. So while the Action run is 90%+ complete from 29-100, the Bat titles are quite spotty in the same time period.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:57 PM, lighthouse said:

Yes. Earliest is a 43, I believe.

Of the Detective 39-100 run, 43 and 44 are my fav covers. Can't wait to see it at auction.

On 4/7/2022 at 6:00 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Of the Detective 39-100 run, 43 and 44 are my fav covers. Can't wait to see it at auction.

The 43 is low grade. Two tape pulls, a tear that was previously taped (though the tape itself is now a memory). It’s likely a book we will sell directly raw rather than routing it through Dallas/Sarasota.

The Action 43 is top 5 census. But the Detective 43 is just a really cool old Batman for someone’s collection. (And happens to be one I took a pic of the day I did the first triage.)

3F2AF61B-5159-4F20-8319-CDE5A61F3743.jpeg.4cc593a48e36da30f15a614d8a6f3a84.jpeg

On 4/8/2022 at 3:51 AM, Primetime said:

Any Timelys in the collection? (thumbsu

The collector was far heavier on DC, but there are around 20 Timelys.

I sent this one off as part of my grading self-check. It’s one of the few books in the entire collection I might choose to keep for myself.

D61FD559-B84F-4BC5-8083-AD7F4AD434E3.jpeg

On 3/28/2022 at 4:04 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

The freshness, deep color strike and juicy look of the Truckee books are truly incredible.

I was comparing the 9.2 ff1  to the white mountain FF 1 9.2

The Truckee copy imo BLOWS away the WM copy in terms of freshness, whiteness and depth of color strike....just a far superior copy

Not 100% sure about this, but according to many boardies much wiser than me, aren't these more of the non-technical factors that CGC doesn't take into full account as part of their grading process, and that's where the CVA and QES stickers come into play?  hm

Of course, there's an exception to every rule and in this particular case here, it would be the Promise Collection books where their freshness and colors are just so blindingly and drippingly deep and bright that the CGC graders simply can't see the obvious visual technical defects on SOME of the books such as rat chews, edge tears, spine ticks, indented staples, etc. :devil:  lol