• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Pedigree Labels on File Copies !?!?!
4 4

47 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2022 at 8:33 PM, MrBedrock said:

There are many Harvey File books with chippy paper quality that are lower grade.

I agree.  Lots of them, but you don't see them that often in slabs because many never got graded.

On 2/25/2022 at 8:46 PM, bounty_coder said:

Yep, and in fact most Harvey File copies you see from the 50's are CR/OW pages.  I RARELY see them above that.

Yes. Amazing color, gloss and structure but quite a number are burn baby burn concerning interior papers. Mind you not all,  as I have had some with very decent paper and page quality but that was after going through a stack of  multiple copies of the same issue until I found what I was looking for. 

Woohoo!   Just like that, I have THREE more pedigrees now (including one Crowley), to add to my more traditional three.   :devil:   I always thought file copies were at least quasi-pedigree, so seems right?  

Edited by Pantodude

On 2/25/2022 at 9:01 PM, Cobbledclam said:

Yes. Amazing color, gloss and structure but quite a number are burn baby burn concerning interior papers. Mind you not all,  as I have had some with very decent paper and page quality but that was after going through a stack of  multiple copies of the same issue until I found what I was looking for. 

It has been a LONG time since I had the opportunity to pick through a stack of Harvey file copies of the same issue…

CGC earned more money from me with this simple label update - just sent in a raw file copy I had, and while I was at it figured might as well relabel the old pedigrees I had sitting around (as well as submit a few more random stuff). Did it all for the shiny!

On 3/27/2022 at 4:29 PM, Pantodude said:

Woohoo!   Just like that, I have THREE more pedigrees now (including one Crowley), to add to my more traditional three.   :devil:   I always thought file copies were at least quasi-pedigree, so seems right?  

that's how i traditionally viewed them, thus i collected them for my ped type-set.  eventually they lost some luster to me, and i decided to go with the cgc list of peds, where only the gaines and murphy anderson cut muster.   still have a few, but sold a bunch.

Edited by Straw-Man

On 3/27/2022 at 8:03 PM, Sauce Dog said:

CGC earned more money from me with this simple label update - just sent in a raw file copy I had, and while I was at it figured might as well relabel the old pedigrees I had sitting around (as well as submit a few more random stuff). Did it all for the shiny!

To each his own. I have a number of pedigree books that pre-date the new pedigree label, and I have no intention of re-holdering any of them. I couldn't care less what color paper was used for the label.

On 3/28/2022 at 5:07 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

To each his own. I have a number of pedigree books that pre-date the new pedigree label, and I have no intention of re-holdering any of them. I couldn't care less what color paper was used for the label.

Normally I do not, in fact I have many pedigrees that will not be re-holdered. The reason this excites me is I had several raw file/checking copies from my favourite GA series (More Fun Comics and Adventure Comics) I collect that has given me the push to grade them, and since I want to make the most of shipping the other books I'm re-holdering are for a series I specifically collect Pedigree-Only copies (tales of suspense) for and every other issue I own for that are already the new gold labels (so made sense to upgrade the two that stuck out on display, especially since the label notes are woefully out of date for missing 1st appearances on them)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 3/28/2022 at 4:07 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

To each his own. I used to have a number of pedigree books that were in those nasty original holders that existed before the new pedigree labels - those dingy old, ugly, decaying holders with the faded old paper they used for those drab labels - but I reholdered all of them. I judgmentally look down upon anyone who has left their books in those disgusting old slabs.

On 3/28/2022 at 7:57 AM, Straw-Man said:

and crowley had many books that aren't file copies; some aren't even fawcett.

I've always viewed the Crowley's as an individual's comics, not PUBLISHER file copies.  To me they are a pedigree, not "file copies" in the way I view the term.  

On 3/28/2022 at 2:07 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Well, since I heard that the color purple was going to be the new "in" color for the younger up and coming generation, best to bypass that old school boring gold color label and ask for all of your books to be re-encased with that beautiful purple color label.  :devil:  lol

On 3/29/2022 at 3:10 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, since I heard that the color purple was going to be the new "in" color for the younger up and coming generation, best to bypass that old school boring gold color label and ask for all of your books to be re-encased with that beautiful purple color label.  :devil:  lol

Someone told me that if I brighten up my comics by re-coloring the covers with magic markers, then I'll be entitled to those new new purple labels, so I might just do that.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 3/28/2022 at 3:44 PM, MrBedrock said:

To each his own. I used to have a number of pedigree books that were in those nasty original holders that existed before the new pedigree labels - those dingy old, ugly, decaying holders with the faded old paper they used for those drab labels - but I reholdered all of them. I judgmentally look down upon anyone who has left their books in those disgusting old slabs.

Thanks to your fine “Cracking videos”, I have learned to crack most of my books out of those ugly and useless slabs.