• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo con 2022??

86 posts in this topic

No dealer updates in quite a while. Looks VERY thin right now. No Terry, A-1, Graham or even Harley! These folks are always at shows like this. Hardly any of the local guys either. List contains Comic Connect and Comic Link who are auction houses and not really buying opportunities. What is going on here? Makes me wonder what the SDCC list of vendors will be? 

On 6/8/2022 at 9:19 AM, Robot Man said:

No dealer updates in quite a while. Looks VERY thin right now. No Terry, A-1, Graham or even Harley! These folks are always at shows like this. Hardly any of the local guys either. List contains Comic Connect and Comic Link who are auction houses and not really buying opportunities. What is going on here? Makes me wonder what the SDCC list of vendors will be? 

Maybe @comiconxion can weigh in here...I saw on @Dale Roberts website that he'll be setting up at this show, but don't see his name on the Torpedo Collectors' Convention website.

@Robot Man, I'm also curious about the dealers you mention, as well as @Superworld...trying to decide if this show will be worth the trip down from NorCal...

Glad to see Dale coming. I always buy a lot from him. I don’t know about Ted though. Another of my favorite dealers.

Just seems like a LOT of missing faces. And with SDCC a week later you would think a lot more would want to pick the LA deep pockets that don’t go to SDCC anymore…(shrug)

If I were you, I’d consider the Berkeley con. Looks like they got a nice group of vintage comic dealers this time. 

On 6/8/2022 at 10:11 AM, silverseeker said:

Maybe @comiconxion can weigh in here...I saw on @Dale Roberts website that he'll be setting up at this show, but don't see his name on the Torpedo Collectors' Convention website.

@Robot Man, I'm also curious about the dealers you mention, as well as @Superworld...trying to decide if this show will be worth the trip down from NorCal...

@blazingbob will be there, and i believe phil and alan from champion comics and heroes comics respectively will also be there. you will be familiar w them if you're from norcal. i don't recall if terry was there last year but there were tons of great dealers in 2021, including @Dale Robertsand that's when things were much less clear covid-wise. i expect another great show and am coming down from rain country myself. between bob, dale, phil and alan, it's already a great room. 

On 6/8/2022 at 1:30 PM, Robot Man said:

I don’t know about Ted though. Another of my favorite dealers.

Just seems like a LOT of missing faces. And with SDCC a week later you would think a lot more would want to pick the LA deep pockets that don’t go to SDCC anymore…(shrug)

From what I heard at Collectors Summit: Terry's Comics will not be at Torpedo (or Baltimore Con) but will be vending at SDCC.

On 6/8/2022 at 1:30 PM, Robot Man said:

Glad to see Dale coming. I always buy a lot from him. I don’t know about Ted though. Another of my favorite dealers.

If I were you, I’d consider the Berkeley con. Looks like they got a nice group of vintage comic dealers this time. 

I was hoping to make it to next week's Berkeley show just to see the Winters Collection books from A-1 Comics, but don't think I'll be able to make it...it is a fun show though!

On 6/9/2022 at 8:46 PM, Aarrow108 said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but wanted to spread the word to any local southern California collectors. New show focusing strictly on comics with a good mix of dealers and private collectors. Check out the second installment of Near Mint Sundays on  Sunday 7/3/2022 in Anaheim!

Made a separate thread for it if anyone is interested: 

/End hijack

I'll also see you all at Torpedo Con 2022! :cheers:

@Aarrow108

Probably bad form to post this here. Your show is just before this one. You could be sucking money out of dealer’s pockets who might be traveling long distance to this show. You have started your own thread, probably best to pimp it there. Just saying…:gossip:

Edited by Robot Man

On 6/10/2022 at 8:17 AM, Robot Man said:

@Aarrow108

Probably bad form to post this here. Your show is just before this one. You could be sucking money out of dealer’s pockets who might be traveling long distance to this show. You have started your own thread, probably best to pimp it there. Just saying…:gossip:

You know, I did hesitate making my post for that same reason. Though I ultimately viewed the thread topic as someone asking if this show was happening this year vs an official announcement for the show. I figured I’d just let any collectors in the area know what was going on. Point taken :cheers:

On 6/14/2022 at 12:28 PM, ExNihilo said:

God, that seems like a pretty big mistake by the venue.  (I'm assuming the space was double booked?)

The place is a music venue. I imagine if they have the choice of booking a comic show or a band they will go with the band.

On 6/14/2022 at 11:51 AM, fatlab123 said:

.a lot local people that I know weren’t going ..airfare etc isn’t cheap anymore 

Sad to hear Torpedo postponement. Plus hotels are charging max rates it seems to recover some of their traveler losses from 2021. e.g. My out of town buddy had to pay $400/night for a mid-level hotel out of downtown Vancouver, BC core for end of June. Used to be about $200/night as before peak summer travel season.

On 6/14/2022 at 11:51 AM, fatlab123 said:

I don’t think it was double booked ..just poor ticket sales ..a lot local people that I know weren’t going ..airfare etc isn’t cheap anymore 

I agree. Poor ticket sales. Big lack of dealers which had me on the fence as well. REALLY bummed as I look forward to it all year long. :sorry:

On 6/14/2022 at 10:40 AM, MrBedrock said:

The place is a music venue. I imagine if they have the choice of booking a comic show or a band they will go with the band.

Yeah, I assume they went with the option that was going to bring in more money for the venue.