• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo con 2022??

86 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2022 at 9:54 AM, Robot Man said:

Terry’s and Torpedo are 6 months apart. With WonderCon in the middle. If we are lucky. I would go to all three if I had the chance.

Not real sure about Terry’s show He has moved to WA now. He didn’t want his shoe to have any Covid restrictions. Sadly, maybe a fact of life these days.

John was probably looking at taking a huge financial hit on this one. I get it, but poor promotion on his part.

I guess that leaves SDCC… If you have the financial means and are willing to put up with “lotteries” for everything in a super crowded show with limited vintage comic buying potential…

Yeah, I’m real bummed too. I look forward to it every year. 

@Robot Manas i'm sure you've seen by now, terry's show is back on for february! and yes, for those of you who still live in socal, why not attend torpedo next year if it actually happens. but for those of us planning to travel in from afar, it's a lot less tempting to commit big $ to coming to this again after the fiasco of this summer's last minute cancellation. 

Edited by alexgross.com

On 7/14/2022 at 7:50 PM, Robot Man said:

I’m a vintage toy and premium collector as well as mostly GA comics. Not many of us cross collecting collectors. Most comic folks are pretty focused on just comics. I would never use table space for toys at a show like that.

We have a killer vintage toy and advertising show coming up in August in LA. A great two day show. Vintage comics almost always turn up there but it isn’t a comic show and there are no guarantee. 

Will be there 

Edited by rabidwolf

On 7/14/2022 at 4:25 PM, ComicsAndCode said:

I attended last year. Brought the whole family, was a lot fun! What I wonder though is why would dealers choose to exhibit at and in many cases, travel long distance for a show like Torpedo where competition for attendees' business is rather stiff?

Dealers buy a lot from each other and have big budgets.

On 7/19/2022 at 6:53 PM, HouseofComics.Com said:

Dealers buy a lot from each other and have big budgets.

I see. I'm coming from an online business perspective so I admit to a limited understanding of the sort of traditional in-person / convention dealer experience.

This seems advantageous for buyers, maybe less for the seller. I would think the seller runs the numbers (cost of goods, CGC fees, time invested in restocking, etc.) before they enter into negotiation to realize an acceptable net? Otherwise, it could be a bad proposition for them.

I picked up the new Overstreet guide at my LCS today. Took a quick scan through the dealer reports. I noticed 3 of them stating that last Torpedo show was their best last year. A real shame. I really hope John brings it back next year. That and Terry’s show are my SO CA show high lights every year…

I have  enjoyed  the TOrpedo  cons especially the ones in Hollywood..  Traded for one of my biggest  Four Colors there

I just heard  that Torpedo  was in the process of opening a large store in the Topanga Mall  in the SFY.

While looking into that  I found out  that they had already opened  two other stores  in the Orange County  area

Al have enjoyed going to and selling at  Terry's  shows.