• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd McFarlane discussion and appreciation thread. Lets see those covers!
4 4

292 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2022 at 7:59 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

I wont tell if you wont.

Since McFarlane was responsible for ending the age anyway, maybe we can get some leeway.

Copper ends, in my eyes, end of 1991. 
So that would be all of McFarlane Spider-Man in Copper?

This discussion started in another thread (and again, could probably have its own thread)  -but considering Detective 576 is Todd's first Batman cover (and I think it's his first cover on a major mainstream title), why doesn't it get as much love as Batman 423? Or for that matter, a lot of his other work? Don't get me wrong, 423 is amazing, one of my favorites (flaws aside - and when the flaws are pointed out, you can't unsee them). I own multiple copies of both books. I do give the nod to 423 as a "cooler-looking" cover in my opinion, but is 'Tec 576 criminally underrated? I just picked up a fairly high-grade copy of that book the other day for only $11!

Tec 576:

Detective_Comics_Vol_1_576.thumb.webp.0ce259e13e5a159fb1f7729d61818f28.webp

Batman 423:

Batman_423.webp.ec936cfb954a36c4e4d74c9686736768.webp

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 3/2/2022 at 12:53 PM, Ramonduke said:

Love all the Spider-Man covers. Here’s some of the favorites from my collection! 

60290DB0-E17C-4D35-97D2-577B0DF57D8A.jpeg

I feel like people don't talk enough about the spelling error on this cover - it drives me nuts! :facepalm:xD

Edited to add: Wow, turns out I'm either an insufficiently_thoughtful_person or I wish I was British - I Googled it, and apparently "kidnaped" is the US version of the spelling, and "kidnapped" is the UK version! Crazy! It just looks so wrong to me as "kidnaped." I rescind my scorn!

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 3/6/2022 at 10:19 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

This discussion started in another thread (and again, could probably have its own thread)  -but considering Detective 576 is Todd's first Batman cover (and I think it's his first cover on a major mainstream title), why doesn't it get as much love as Batman 423? Or for that matter, a lot of his other work? Don't get me wrong, 423 is amazing, one of my favorites (flaws aside - and when the flaws are pointed out, you can't unsee them). I own multiple copies of both books. I do give the nod to 423 as a "cooler-looking" cover in my opinion, but is 'Tec 576 criminally underrated? I just picked up a fairly high-grade copy of that book the other day for only $11!

Tec 576:

Batman 423:

I agree that 576 is probably totally undervalued considering it's his first cover for a major character. and an awesome cover to boot.  I think the value discrepancy lies in the fact that the powers that be have basically classified 423 a "Classic Cover" therefore exacerbating it's value. I like 423's cover slightly better, but the fact that Tec 576 is his first major cover, and has virtually the same eye appeal as Bats 423, I can't see where a premium needs to be paid for the Bats 423. Right now FMV on a 9.8 Bats 423 is approximately $2,300-$3,000 while a Tec 576 is $150 to $300. So 10x the FMV just because someone thinks it's a classic cover? Geez.

Edited by Mr.Fantastic

On 3/8/2022 at 4:13 AM, Mr.Fantastic said:

I agree that 576 is probably totally undervalued considering it's his first cover for a major character. and an awesome cover to boot.  I think the value discrepancy lies in the fact that the powers that be have basically classified 423 a "Classic Cover" therefore exacerbating it's value. I like 423's cover slightly better, but the fact that Tec 576 is his first major cover, and has virtually the same eye appeal as Bats 423, I can't see where a premium needs to be paid for the Bats 423. Right now FMV on a 9.8 Bats 423 is approximately $2,300-$3,000 while a Tec 576 is $150 to $300. So 10x the FMV just because someone thinks it's a classic cover? Geez.

It's bad news for me because Bats 423 is the one McFarlane key I don't have and my wife doesn't like it when I spend $100s on expensive paper :( When I was a kid I looked at the interior art which wasn't McFarlane's work and decided to pass on it. Man, if I could go back in time.... Everyone thinks that about a bunch of books these days xD 

If you liked McFarlane Friday, you'll love McFarlane Monday.  Received a big chunk of his IH run today in the mail.  I can see right now I'm going to have to dedicate an entire box to McFarlane. (I know 335 isn't a McFarlane book, but I wanted to keep the run continuous from 330-346).

Hulk #331.jpeg

Hulk #332.jpeg

Hulk #333.jpeg

Hulk #335.jpeg

Hulk #337.jpeg

Hulk #336.jpeg

Hulk #342.jpeg

Hulk #343.jpeg

Hulk #346.jpeg

Edited by Mr.Fantastic

On 3/6/2022 at 11:19 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Tec 576:

Batman 423:

Bats 423 is the first time I recall seeing Todd ‘s introduction of a large, overflowing cape.  It would turn out to be one of those unique liberties That Todd made into a recognizable  McFarlane-y cover.

This cover also features McFarlane pencils AND inks.  Note the ‘Tec cover was not inked by Todd.

Lastly, I remember seeing this image everywhere, particularly on T-shirts and moreso than the ‘Tec cover

On 3/8/2022 at 6:16 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Bats 423 is the first time I recall seeing Todd ‘s introduction of a large, overflowing cape.  It would turn out to be one of those unique liberties That Todd made into a recognizable  McFarlane-y cover.

This cover also features McFarlane pencils AND inks.  Note the ‘Tec cover was not inked by Todd.

Lastly, I remember seeing this image everywhere, particularly on T-shirts and moreso than the ‘Tec cover

423 is definitely the more popular image, no doubt. I'm just surprised the 'Tec cover doesn't get more love in general as his first major title cover (and interior Todd pencils too, and a good story on top of that, at least compared to 423 - and the 'Tec is part of a "semi-key" storyline).

On 3/8/2022 at 8:36 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

423 is definitely the more popular image, no doubt. I'm just surprised the 'Tec cover doesn't get more love in general as his first major title cover (and interior Todd pencils too, and a good story on top of that, at least compared to 423 - and the 'Tec is part of a "semi-key" storyline).

Yeah, isn't Tec 576 1st app of Jason Todd too?

On 3/8/2022 at 8:47 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

No, that's Batman 357 - double key as a CGC-noted first appearance of Killer Croc too (although that's debatable).

IMG_4030.thumb.JPG.95959814c8c79906f0fde0aa38dbd348.JPG

Ok. Thanks. I looked it up and 576 was the first time Jason Todd put on Robin’s costume.

On 3/8/2022 at 9:36 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I hear you, and we can certainly discuss it for some time or we can just shrug our shoulders and agree with 423 being the McBat cover that stands above all others, much like Batman 227 became the Adams Bat cover to collect.