• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 50 Silver Age Keys by FMV: a look at 3.0 and 6.0 (recently added)
2 2

14 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2022 at 12:54 AM, innocuous said:

Thanks for compiling the list. Interesting that Flash 123 didn't make the cut.

And, it's just Amazing how Spidey is taking over. 

Amazing Spideys, quietly already a quarter of the list.  Hulk 3 has been doing well.  Hulk 3, for example, slid only one spot, from 50 to 51, despite there being 14 hot newcomers.  All the early Hulks have been doing well tbh.  And Flash 123, while softer at 3.0, is still strong with all grades green, including 3.0.  

Edited by Pantodude

Thanks for compiling this information.  But it's also a difficult task.  Some of the books have few sales data, making the determination of fair market value a bit wobbly.  An example would be Hulk #2 - a CGC 3.0 copy sold just two weeks ago for under $2,300, far below the assigned FMV of $3,995.  But the comparative data that are available are still cool, and sure to provoke interesting discussion.

Edited by namisgr

On 3/1/2022 at 7:37 AM, namisgr said:

Thanks for compiling this information.  But it's also a difficult task.  Some of the books have few sales data, making the determination of fair market value a bit wobbly.  An example would be Hulk #2 - a CGC 3.0 copy sold just two weeks ago for under $2,300, far below the assigned FMV of $3,995.  But the comparative data that are available are still cool, and sure to provoke interesting discussion.

Right.  The data is much more limited at the NM- 9.2 grade used by Overstreet, so 3.0 seemed the way to go.  I was wondering about the Hulk 2, but that most recent sale at $3995 on 2/25 appeared to be supported by the out-sized $6750 for 4.5 on 2/18, so I gave it the benefit of the doubt.  Using $2750 instead for Hulk 2, it would be around 20th.  Still impressive.   

On 3/1/2022 at 7:39 AM, Pantodude said:
On 3/1/2022 at 4:37 AM, namisgr said:

Right.  The data is much more limited at the NM- 9.2 grade used by Overstreet, so 3.0 seemed the way to go.  I was wondering about the Hulk 2, but that most recent sale at $3995 on 2/25 appeared to be supported by the out-sized $6750 for 4.5 on 2/18, so I gave it the benefit of the doubt.  Using $2750 instead for Hulk 2, it would be around 20th.  Still impressive. 

I have highlighted the sentence in which you contrast data availabaility of 9.2 with that of 3.0.  Yes, the data is much more limited at 9.2, but going to almost the extreme opposite end might be a bit of overkill.  You could, for example, have chosen 6.0 or 5.0, instead of 3.0 - in which case, your rankings on at least some books would probably shift appreciably from where they are currently in your 3.0 data rankings.

On 2/27/2022 at 1:41 PM, Pantodude said:

a ranking using higher grades could not only include more DC keys, but also rank them higher.    

Ah, you have already mentioned that, I see.

But don't you think a 5.0 or 6.0 comparision might provide a "happy medium"?

On 3/1/2022 at 12:18 PM, MusterMark said:

Ah, you have already mentioned that, I see.

But don't you think a 5.0 or 6.0 comparision might provide a "happy medium"?

It could.  I might be curious enough to do another one...if you at least "like" my chart!  :devil:   Anyway, I chose 3.0 b/c Overstreet already catered to the really deep pockets and I might as well do the other end fo the spectrum for a change!  See how expensive these books are even in 3.0?  But I am curious to see if 6.0 results are closer to Overstreet's 9.2 ranking or my 3.0 ranking.  hm