• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The touch, the feel of mylar
4 4

28 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2022 at 12:11 PM, Poekaymon said:

I used to strictly do the thin BCW poly bags.  And I have more than a little OCD, so when I would buy something and it came in a Mylar, I'd actually replace it with a poly. But even after only a few years, I noticed that many of the bags were starting to get ripples and waves, especially in the front.  Also, the books would slide around in the bags, so sometimes they would be in the middle, but more often they would be shifted to one side or the other.  The bags being so thin and weak also meant that any curvature of the backing board (super common at least with BCW) was perfectly reproduced.  And in the drawer, they'd always slide from side to side and I'd constantly have to shift them around.  So last month I got a bunch of Mylars and just redid everything.  

Before

1606302629_IMG_11972.thumb.jpeg.ce04cc480387343f616cbe96b6269705.jpeg

After

IMG_0578.thumb.jpeg.7abd4e2c7ed4a05439f03bf21132e3f0.jpeg

The rigidity of the Mylars not only keeps them in place in the box/drawer, but it also keeps the books mostly in the middle of the bag, so the books don't shift around in the bag, and the bags/boards don't shift around in the drawer.  And each book looks better too--even the cheapos.  Downside is they take up more space, but I don't have that many to begin with so it's okay for me. 

I guess if you're just putting a long box in storage and need to fit as much as possible in there, and aren't always taking them out, the thin ones are fine.  But for frequent use, and especially in a drawer like mine, Mylars are much better.

Looks fantastic! 

On 3/2/2022 at 5:05 PM, RickSp said:

Great uniformed look. Out of interest did you go for the standard or silver age size?

Ive tried both and to be honest they both hold silver age comics pretty nicely, depending on how much board space you like around the comic.

Everything I have is after 1970, so I just use standard for all.  (725m2 with standard FBs (700FB) or BCW silver boards--both 7 x 10 1/2.)  Due to OCD I'd probably not size up for silver.    

I committed to Mylar back in 2008 but still have at least 50% of my collection to re-bag. Daunting task but at least I'm getting to revisit my collection and do some re-reading while I'm there. Converting to short boxes too :insane:. Great display, would love to switch to file cabinets at some point.

On 3/5/2022 at 3:03 AM, grendelbo said:

Mylites 2 are the best and everything but the lowest grades and most beat up books look amazing inside of them. And even those low-grades get an apparent grade bump in Mylar, especially if you take a step or two back when admiring them. Beats a coffin.

I completely agree.  Maybe that's why, when I submitted most of my collection in 2017, I thought so many of those 7.5s - 8.5s were 9.2s - 9.6s.  lol

I loved the look and feel of Mylar so much, after I let go of my comic collection I started buying them for my record collection. Pricey, but damn they look good and it's worth it. (Sadly, they've been on backorder for over a year now)

Agree with this thread, love the look and feel of Mylar for my older comics, even beaters.  Wish I could find some!  Let me know the consensus source, until e gerber gets them back in stock.  I saw sets of 50 Mylites2 and Fullbacks on eBay for $50-$75, that about my best bet?

I have a question: Do you crease the tops of your mylars before folding down the flap for that sharp bend, or do you fold it loosely?

Edited by Rob

On 3/10/2022 at 4:43 PM, Rob said:

Agree with this thread, love the look and feel of Mylar for my older comics, even beaters.  Wish I could find some!  Let me know the consensus source, until e gerber gets them back in stock.  I saw sets of 50 Mylites2 and Fullbacks on eBay for $50-$75, that about my best bet?

I have a question: Do you crease the tops of your mylars before folding down the flap for that sharp bend, or do you fold it loosely?

Depending on how many you need, I'd buy the Mylites from Gerber direct at 1k at a time.  I would not do all of them in fullbacks.  Between the mylites and the fullbacks, it starts taking up serious space.  I bought 100 or so fullbacks from ebay scalpers and then got 1k mylites from Gerber for like 200 bucks--took about a month.  The rest of my boards are just BCW silver cheapos.

On 3/5/2022 at 6:51 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I love upgrading the bags in my collection.  It’s like polishing a turd:cloud9:

Ewww.  Polishing a turd isn't bad in general but when talking about comics, totally gross.