• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN spoilers thread
2 2

257 posts in this topic

Saw it Friday - my main takeaways were that I thought the soundtrack was literally just one song, Ave Maria, played a dozen different ways even before it was sung as a "special solo".

One phrase popped in my head when I saw Bruce without the costume... My Chemical Batmance

Still, I enjoyed the movie and as someone else said, it reminded me of Se7en and also a bit of Sin City for visuals/dialogue.

I avoided pretty much all info and did not know Colin Farrell was playing Penguin, so I'd have to say that was fantastic.

Edited by valiantman

On 3/6/2022 at 8:56 AM, eastriver31400 said:

Batman didn’t win or lose. He evolved.

I interpreted the movie this way based on 2 scenes in the movie.

Batman starts out as vengeance and fear.. criminals are scared but crime goes up. Unexpectedly, he also inspires criminals (at least that’s how I interpreted the unmasked Riddler clone saying he is vengeance). 

by the end of the movie Batman becomes “hope” as opposed to fear and vengeance. Saving people during the flood and the one woman holds on to him after he gets her to safety. 

two seemingly minor scenes that defined the entire movie to me. 

Can’t wait for the next Reeves movie. 

Oh good, Batman evolved while thousands died in the flooding of Gotham.

My hero...

The Riddler won. Batman lost. I can deal with that except that it seemed to have no effect on him. Same blank stare like through the whole damn movie.

Edited by D84

On 3/5/2022 at 10:15 PM, Red84 said:

The first Batman movie to really feature Batman as a detective. Loved the film noir element.  

I keep hearing this, so I'm starting wonder if people weren't paying attention in the previous Batman films.

Yes, this was the first noir story, but he's used Detective skills in most of the movies. Even the Adam West movie had detective elements.

For :censored: sake!

On 3/6/2022 at 9:21 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

IMO if they make a couple more movies with Robert Patterson as Batman he has a real chance to be the GOAT.

When the fanboys were complaining about him being casted as Batman I knew how uneducated they mostly are with how Patterson's acting career has evolved since him being "Twilight Boy."

Batman (1989) will always be my nostalgic #1 Batman movie just because I was a little kid and that summer seemed magical, but of course Dark Knight (2008) is the best Batman movie of all time.   With that said I really think Patterson will evolve even more as Batman and over the next couple of films he might be the GOAT!

Don't get me wrong I freakin love the Nolan trilogy, however the dark tone of this film has me really excited for the future of Patterson and hopefully Matt Reeves with this fracnhise because if the next two films are like this one then Nolan has been put on notice which is great things for us fans. ^^

Agreed!

they had me at Nirvana in the opening scene.

LOVED this one. Probably my favorite Batman movie…

So again If we believe Matt Reeves, he says Joker is not part of the future in the coming films.  I call total BS lol

I am very curious what the Joker/Batman Arkham interogation scene they cut will be now that he says he will release it eventually once most people have had a chance to see the movie.  I do think they should use the Joker but either sparingly or a couple more films down the line which makes sense since J Phoenix will be doing Joker Part 2.  I really do want to see Hush and the Court of Owls, but lets keep it real......obviously Joker will be making appearances against Patterson.  Reeves is full of it.  

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/the-batman-ending-joker-barry-keoghan-matt-reeves-1235196812/

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Repeating here: It's average/mediocre. 3.5/5 territory. Does some things excellent, and others very poorly. Some notes, trying to list both positives and negatives:

• The first minute is boring, and somewhat pointless.
  • After that, the next 5-10 minutes are amazing.
  • The 'interrogation' with Riddler is also amazing.
  • While Pattinson may have range, there is none performed here.
  • Pattinson is smaller than I am. Couldn't work out more than 1 day/week?
  • Zoe Kravitz sucks.
  • The Penguin was done really well.
  • There is basically no relationship with Alfred. Almost wondering why he's even in it. They go for an emotional grab as a target of Riddler's, but it falls entirely flat due to the fact that Bruce and Alfred don't even appear to like one another in this movie.
  • I didn't really care for the cowl one way or another before seeing the movie, but the design sucks. Same goes for the Bat-symbol, and his 'gauntlets'. Other than that, the cape is really cool, and the rest of the suit design is also really cool. There just happens to be some 'bad' to go along with the generally 'cool' aesthetic.
  • The political overtones were garbage. You really have to get this right if you're going to make it part of the plot.
  • It basically feels like Se7en is Matt Reeves' favorite movie. It feels so damn similar that I'm not sure whether it helps, or hurts, by being so familiar.
  • The Riddler costume design sucks, as we already knew.
  • Paul Dano was good most of the time, but the weird breathing BS didn't go anywhere, so what's up with that? Not every villain needs some sort of problem using their mouth.
  • There were 9 shots of them driving motorcycles at the end. Nine. This thing is obese and needed some of the fat trimmed.

That might be it, for now.

On 3/7/2022 at 6:47 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:
  • While Pattinson may have range, there is none performed here.

Like was noted already by a few folks, this is a Bruce Wayne in Year Two that has lost himself in the cowl to the point he is just Batman pretending to be his real self. Range at this point wasn't needed as he had one tone: beating down crime any chance he could get. The rest of life didn't matter. To include his relationship with others. Even his disgust when recognized as Bruce Wayne was evident when the police officer excitedly greets him. He wants none of it.

Not to say you can't dislike what you want to. But that was the performance required for The Batman movie until near the end when he realized a brighter motivation to inspire others was the go-forward mold.

:foryou:

On 3/7/2022 at 7:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

Like was noted already by a few folks, this is a Bruce Wayne in Year Two that has lost himself in the cowl to the point he is just Batman pretending to be his real self. Range at this point wasn't needed as he had one tone: beating down crime any chance he could get. The rest of life didn't matter. To include his relationship with others. Even his disgust when recognized as Bruce Wayne was evident when the police officer excitedly greets him. He wants none of it.

Not to say you can't dislike what you want to. But that was the performance required for The Batman movie until near the end when he realized a brighter motivation to inspire others was the go-forward mold.

Just because you're 25 and angsty doesn't mean that you have no personality. It's not a good excuse.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 3/6/2022 at 10:21 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

IMO if they make a couple more movies with Robert Patterson as Batman he has a real chance to be the GOAT.

When the fanboys were complaining about him being casted as Batman I knew how uneducated they mostly are with how Patterson's acting career has evolved since him being "Twilight Boy."

Batman (1989) will always be my nostalgic #1 Batman movie just because I was a little kid and that summer seemed magical, but of course Dark Knight (2008) is the best Batman movie of all time.   With that said I really think Patterson will evolve even more as Batman and over the next couple of films he might be the GOAT!

Don't get me wrong I freakin love the Nolan trilogy, however the dark tone of this film has me really excited for the future of Patterson and hopefully Matt Reeves with this fracnhise because if the next two films are like this one then Nolan has been put on notice which is great things for us fans. ^^

I will admit my first instinct was WTF when Pattinson was cast. 

Now, I admit I was dead wrong. Pattinson is perfect. 

On 3/7/2022 at 7:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

Agree. While his performance was monotone I felt that is exactly how he would be. A weird and quiet guy. 

On 3/7/2022 at 7:04 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Just because you're 25 and angsty doesn't mean that you have no personality. That excuse doesn't really work.

I think you could possibly be influenced a little bit by a certain bias, and want to nitpick for nitpick's sake. I so want the SnyderVerse just as much as anyone else.

But I also am reasonable enough to recognize when a DC property is done very well. Even with movie length flaws with scenes that could have easily been cut out. But at least gave us more Batman in the end.