THE BATMAN spoilers thread
2 2

257 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2022 at 9:05 AM, William-James88 said:

Moving on, this film has brought about lots of talks and comparisons with the Christian Bale films. I remember that while I did like them, I never felt I got enough Batman in them. There are aspects and scenes I always found off, even though I watched them a ton of times and think they are very entertaining. I don't think this film is better, I just like that it offers a different side and different kind of story. I don't think any film will ever live up to me reading the Long Halloween or other Batman classics. I think that's the big difference between Marvel and DC for me. DC has such great comic stories that work so perfectly for the medium and they are written to perfection (I know, huge bias, this is just my opinion) while Marvel doesn't. So a live action take with limited time to tell a story just won't work as well, or give me as much to enjoy. With Marvel, their event stories can be improved, as well as the writing (usually very outstretched), so I end up finding the live action movies like Infinity War even better than the comics that inspired it. That will definitely change with Kraven, since that is one hell of a well written character in the comics, we'll see.

Basically, I don't think a Batman film will ever satisfy me as much as the comics but they don't need to since I still have the comics. This film though was the most satisfying one so far, even though it may not be better than others, if that makes sense.

The only parts that I really 'compare' to Bale's Batman are the parts that seem identical to The Dark Knight, such as Riddler copycatting Joker's homemade videos and sending them to the press...

I just don't care about his character like I did for every Batman before, other than Val Kilmer's (who was also a stale and monotone performance).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 8:13 AM, William-James88 said:

Yeah it had tension. You wrote about that interrogation scene and I agree with you that it's the best part of the film. It's where I felt the most tension in the film.

That scene was tedious and obvious. It's like they had a sign over Riddler's head saying "he doesn't know."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 8:50 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sure they do, they're the ones performing the roles.

I don't know why anyone would want a 1-note Batman or Gordon. It's boring. Luckily the action was very well done, along with other aspects of the story, because the persona of Batman and Bruce Wayne wasn't compelling.

It was not boring. It conveyed how he had lost himself in the role of hero, and even disliked being Bruce Wayne and possibly coming across as the rich kid that got everything handed to him in life due to his celebrity. So everything he did in his daily life was about achieving that goal, and only that goal: FIGHT CRIME. Even calling himself "Vengeance" was clear he had forgotten what was meaningful in life to have a fulfilling purpose. And with Alfred you could tell he felt disgusted Bruce Wayne had come to this, and losing himself in these nightly adventures.

Seriously. If these things went by you without realization, it conveys you really forced yourself to pick this film apart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What were those long, silver things on Batman's forearms?  You can see them in the pic below; there are five of them.  Arrows?  Multiple grapple gun shots?

The-Batman_1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2022 at 8:04 PM, valiantman said:

Saw it Friday - my main takeaways were that I thought the soundtrack was literally just one song, Ave Maria, played a dozen different ways even before it was sung as a "special solo".

Is that the most frequent instrumental we were hearing?  I thought it was multiple remixes of Nirvana's "Something in the Way."  They played parts of that song at least twice with fragments of the lyrics spoken, and I thought I heard multiple very slow remixes of it along the way as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 8:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

It was not boring. It conveyed how he had lost himself in the role of hero, and even disliked being Bruce Wayne and possibly coming across as the rich kid that got everything handed to him in life due to his celebrity. So everything he did in his daily life was about achieving that goal, and only that goal: FIGHT CRIME. Even calling himself "Vengeance" was clear he had forgotten what was meaningful in life to have a fulfilling purpose. And with Alfred you could tell he felt disgusted Bruce Wayne had come to this, and losing himself in these nightly adventures.

Seriously. If these things went by you without realization, it conveys you really forced yourself to pick this film apart.

Which made him boring for me to watch. One note characters are tedious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 9:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

It was not boring. It conveyed how he had lost himself in the role of hero, and even disliked being Bruce Wayne and possibly coming across as the rich kid that got everything handed to him in life due to his celebrity. So everything he did in his daily life was about achieving that goal, and only that goal: FIGHT CRIME. Even calling himself "Vengeance" was clear he had forgotten what was meaningful in life to have a fulfilling purpose. And with Alfred you could tell he felt disgusted Bruce Wayne had come to this, and losing himself in these nightly adventures.

Seriously. If these things went by you without realization, it conveys you really forced yourself to pick this film apart.

Sure it was. Monotone whispering is not the magical emotional conveyance tool you're making it out to be. It's 1 method of verbal communication. It's not complex.

You're trying far too hard to defend this movie from valid criticism.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wasn't a fan of Catwoman but that's me and I knew it going in.  I'm partial to tall, curvy women with long hair, so I was always going to prefer Anne Hathaway to Zoe Kravitz.  Julie Newmar is still my ultimate Catwoman for all the wrong "male gaze" reasons, although I still like Michelle Pfeiffer's performance and suit better than all the others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bruce Wayne is easy to play so he's hard to mess up.  He's an obsessed one-note dude.  Daredevil is similar.  I never understand any praise or scorn laid upon anyone who has played Bruce, nor did I get the scorn laid upon Affleck for his Matt Murdock.  Everyone who's ever played him is fine, although my favorite to date even though I disliked the films he was in was Affleck as Wayne.  There's not a ton of acting required for the character.

As long as whoever is playing Wayne is somewhat big, fit, and a decent physical actor they're fine.  I generally liked Pattinson acting semi-depressed in this film, but anything Wayne does is such a minor part of any Batman film it didn't really matter much and I would've been fine if he was more like Nolan's Wayne, or Burton's Wayne, or whoever's version of the character.  All of the director and actor versions are similar enough to where I barely care which gets inserted in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 9:32 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sure it was. Monotone whispering is not the magical emotional conveyance tool you're making it out to be. It's 1 method of verbal communication. It's not complex.

You're trying far too hard to defend this movie from valid criticism.

:roflmao:

Uh-huh. You're the one going on about all the things you disliked to justify why in advance you were talking this film down before seeing it. But I'm trying too hard.

(:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 9:28 AM, D84 said:

Which made him boring for me to watch. One note characters are tedious.

I can respect personal preferences. No debating there.

For others, they recognized the state of mind Bruce Wayne was in at this point in time and why he acted the way he did. It worked for those moviegoers. Otherwise, this film would never even come close to an A- CinemaScore.

CinemaScore_The_Batman.thumb.jpg.0816ccd477f3eecff7052c9ac65c069f.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 9:43 AM, Bosco685 said:

:roflmao:

Uh-huh. You're the one going on about all the things you disliked to justify why in advance you were talking this film down before seeing it. But I'm trying too hard.

(:

Calm down, because you are blowing that out of proportion. I don't have to justify the poor aspects of the movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 9:48 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Calm down, because you are blowing that out of proportion. I don't have to justify the poor aspects of the movie.

Calm down yourself. Seriously. Just because you WANT to dislike a film doesn't mean counterpoints are over-excitement.

You are calling things out that at times are clear you forced yourself to not see the creative details applied to the story. I'm sharing what you may have missed. Nobody's getting excited on this side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 9:50 AM, Bosco685 said:

Calm down yourself. Seriously. Just because you WANT to dislike a film doesn't mean counterpoints are over-excitement.

You are calling things out that at times are clear you forced yourself to not see the creative details applied to the story. I'm sharing what you may have missed. Nobody's getting excited on this side.

This is verifiably false, which is why you should calm down. Don't take it personally.

Again, false. I didn't miss anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 9:52 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

This is verifiably false, which is why you should calm down. Don't take it personally.

Again, false. I didn't miss anything.

I'm taking nothing personal. Your mindset and opinions were crafted long before seeing the final film. You've made that clear for months.

On 3/7/2022 at 9:53 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If I wanted to dislike The Batman, then I would. That's an asinine comment without any basis in reality.

Wow. You seem to be taking things personal. Again, calm down. Here. Have a laugh!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 9:57 AM, Bosco685 said:

I'm taking nothing personal. Your mindset and opinions were crafted long before seeing the final film. You've made that clear for months.

Wow. You seem to be taking things personal. Again, calm down. Here. Have a laugh!

Again, false. Trying to assassinate my character is in poor taste and poor judgment. I reserved my right to critique the movie until after I had seen it, and I did exactly that.

Don't make up BS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 10:00 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Again, false. Trying to assassinate my character is in poor taste and poor judgment. I reserved my right to critique the movie until after I had seen it, and I did exactly that.

Don't make up BS.

Assassinate your character? Calm down, dude!

It's hard to proclaim an unbiased review when afterwards you just reinforce what you have noted for months. So it becomes a self-fulfilling event when you come back from the film and proclaim more of the same.

Again, nobody attacked your character. Your actions justify the perception in this case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 10:02 AM, Bosco685 said:

Assassinate your character? Calm down, dude!

It's hard to proclaim an unbiased review when afterwards you just reinforce what you have noted for months. So it becomes a self-fulfilling event when you come back from the film and proclaim more of the same.

Again, nobody attacked your character. Your actions justify the perception in this case.

That's not what has happened.

You did, by stating blatant lies, particularly about my ability to remain unbiased. For example, I already had to educate you on the fact that none of my criticisms are relevant to the DCEU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Before the movie came out, I didn't know that Battinson would be one-dimensional. I was actually promised quite the opposite by his fans. The criticism is based on The Batman, and the movie alone. Nothing else. The same goes for every other aspect of criticism that the movie earned. It had an opportunity to exceed expectations, and it simply did not. That is due to no outside influences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2