• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN spoilers thread
2 2

257 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2022 at 10:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

That's not what has happened.

You did, by stating blatant lies, particularly about my ability to remain unbiased. For example, I already had to educate you on the fact that none of my criticisms are relevant to the DCEU.

Dude. Calm down. Acting like your honor is at stake, and you demand justice, may work in cases where you didn't post in advance multiple times how this film won't work for you.

trialbycombat.gif.24efd4c53505971da8280e5b5d912b7c.gif

You can dislike what you want. Meanwhile, there is a counter to your opinions which then you dragged this out by proclaiming your character is being attacked.

Don't like the Bat-symbol, but I gave it a chance. While they showed that it has utility, they didn't explain why it looks so dumb. The gauntlets also have utility, but I think that they look dumb as well and don't fit the rest of his costume. The Batmobile is an area in which I was certainly pessimistic, but I think that it's pretty sick. However, the introduction with it didn't make much sense. Why was he revving the engine just waiting for the bad guys to drive away?

The movie managed to get me into the Batmobile, which shows that I was open-minded. Just because it didn't blow me away in every aspect does not make me a victim of confirmation bias. The Batman had its chance.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:15 AM, Bosco685 said:

Dude. Calm down. Acting like your honor is at stake, and you demand justice, may work in cases where you didn't post in advance multiple times how this film won't work for you.

You can dislike what you want. Meanwhile, there is a counter to your opinions which then you dragged this out by proclaiming your character is being attacked.

This is another falsehood, as I never said that it won't work.

Doesn't feel that way, since you're attacking my criticism with baseless sentiments.

Can you stop making BS up in just one response here?

On 3/7/2022 at 10:18 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

This is another falsehood, as I never said that it won't work.

Doesn't feel that way, since you're attacking my criticism with baseless sentiments.

Can you stop making BS up in just one response here?

Look. You didn't enjoy the movie. In my opinion, you were never going to allow yourself to enjoy the movie.

I'm not going to waste time digging up your posts. But you made it very clear what your opinion was in advance. Meanwhile, if someone notes the counter to your opinion STOP pretending they are attacking your character. You made that bed with those months of posts. How could that not be the perception??

On 3/7/2022 at 10:22 AM, Bosco685 said:

Look. You didn't enjoy the movie. In my opinion, you were never going to allow yourself to enjoy the movie.

I'm not going to waste time digging up your posts. But you made it very clear what your opinion was in advance. Meanwhile, if someone notes the counter to your opinion STOP pretending they are attacking your character. You made that bed with those months of posts. How could that not be the perception??

Underlined: This is a case where your opinion is wrong.

You didn't offer a counter to my opinion. You made up some BS about me comparing it to the DCEU, which is entirely irrelevant to my opinion. You keep making stuff up that has nothing to do with the concise points of criticism that I have presented, which is character assassination. I understand that it's easier to dismiss all of my opinions if you try to label me.

The movie being too long is not a me problem. Pattinson's performance being 1-dimensional is not a me problem. Wright's Gordon acting no different from Batman is not a me problem. These are problems with The Batman, and it is no fault of my own that these criticisms exist. I was unaware that these would be criticisms prior to seeing the movie, so any speculation previous to the movie's release is irrelevant.

On 3/7/2022 at 9:25 AM, fantastic_four said:

What were those long, silver things on Batman's forearms?  You can see them in the pic below; there are five of them.  Arrows?  Multiple grapple gun shots?

The-Batman_1.jpg

I thought for sure they were arrows for some sort of crossbow, but they weren't used in the movie.. or did we miss it?

On 3/7/2022 at 9:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

You didn't offer a counter to my opinion. You made up some BS about me comparing it to the DCEU, which is entirely irrelevant to my opinion. You keep making stuff up that has nothing to do with the concise points of criticism that I have presented, which is character assassination. I understand that it's easier to dismiss all of my opinions if you try to label me.

The movie being too long is not a me problem. Pattinson's performance being 1-dimensional is not a me problem. Wright's Gordon acting no different from Batman is not a me problem. These are problems with The Batman, and it is no fault of my own that these criticisms exist. I was unaware that these would be criticisms prior to seeing the movie, so any speculation previous to the movie's release is irrelevant.

+1

Back to the film: Did it need to be three hours?

I think there is a solid 2 1/2 hour movie mixed in there with some scenes that went a little long. Though then when I have reflected on scenes like Bruce Wayne starring at the deceast mayor's kid I get Matt Reeves was trying to convey him trying to protect others from his lost childhood.

On 3/7/2022 at 8:27 AM, fantastic_four said:
On 3/6/2022 at 7:04 PM, valiantman said:

Saw it Friday - my main takeaways were that I thought the soundtrack was literally just one song, Ave Maria, played a dozen different ways even before it was sung as a "special solo".

Is that the most frequent instrumental we were hearing?  I thought it was multiple remixes of Nirvana's "Something in the Way."  They played parts of that song at least twice with fragments of the lyrics spoken, and I thought I heard multiple very slow remixes of it along the way as well.

There were definitely other songs in the movie besides Ave Maria, but it seemed like each time I was thinking, "What song is that?" it was Ave Maria. :grin:  Now that you mention it, I do remember "Something In The Way", but that song always reminded me of the Crash Test Dummies "Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm" - which was more of a parody of grunge and didn't really add to my enjoyment. :sorry:

I'm excluding any songs playing in the nightclub, since that's just background noise at a nightclub.  I guess they count as songs for the soundtrack, but it wasn't part of the "mystery" and "atmosphere" associated with Batman/Riddler.

On 3/7/2022 at 9:35 AM, Bosco685 said:

Back to the film: Did it need to be three hours?

I think there is a solid 2 1/2 hour movie mixed in there with some scenes that went a little long. Though then when I have reflected on scenes like Bruce Wayne starring at the deceast mayor's kid I get Matt Reeves was trying to convey him trying to protect others from his lost childhood.

I think it could be cut to 2:15 easily and be an entertaining movie, even with the other issues I had with it.

Edited by D84

On 3/7/2022 at 10:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I didn't?

On 3/7/2022 at 9:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

It was not boring. It conveyed how he had lost himself in the role of hero, and even disliked being Bruce Wayne and possibly coming across as the rich kid that got everything handed to him in life due to his celebrity. So everything he did in his daily life was about achieving that goal, and only that goal: FIGHT CRIME. Even calling himself "Vengeance" was clear he had forgotten what was meaningful in life to have a fulfilling purpose. And with Alfred you could tell he felt disgusted Bruce Wayne had come to this, and losing himself in these nightly adventures.

Seriously. If these things went by you without realization, it conveys you really forced yourself to pick this film apart.

On 3/7/2022 at 8:19 AM, Bosco685 said:

But seriously, I think we set ourselves up for disappointment either when we build up a movie in advance to be the greatest EVER or talking it down in advance leading to going into the movie wanting to justify that disappointment.

Whatever your rationale, you didn't have a great time. You had an okay time. I just think some of your points have reasonable counter-claims why they are not justified. Like with Pattinson not getting super-buff as at this stage Batman feels he just needs to be a street brawler. Beat the criminals down until they beg for mercy and hopefully change their way. That's all about outlasting the other person - not being most muscular. So he took on the form of a light boxer.

Robert_Pattinson.jpg.ed0680d08ef15138be2c5e805398800e.jpg

Someone that could take a punch to the gut or ribs and keep on fighting. And especially backed up by body armor and padding throughout his suit.

On 3/7/2022 at 7:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

Like was noted already by a few folks, this is a Bruce Wayne in Year Two that has lost himself in the cowl to the point he is just Batman pretending to be his real self. Range at this point wasn't needed as he had one tone: beating down crime any chance he could get. The rest of life didn't matter. To include his relationship with others. Even his disgust when recognized as Bruce Wayne was evident when the police officer excitedly greets him. He wants none of it.

Not to say you can't dislike what you want to. But that was the performance required for The Batman movie until near the end when he realized a brighter motivation to inspire others was the go-forward mold.

:foryou:

Is this where I take your approach and proclaim reading is not your friend? Or do we get back to discussing the movie details, which clearly I had provided counter-claims to what you had noted.

Edited by Bosco685

On 3/7/2022 at 10:32 AM, eastriver31400 said:
On 3/7/2022 at 9:25 AM, fantastic_four said:

What were those long, silver things on Batman's forearms?  You can see them in the pic below; there are five of them.  Arrows?  Multiple grapple gun shots?

The-Batman_1.jpg

I thought for sure they were arrows for some sort of crossbow, but they weren't used in the movie.. or did we miss it?

If they're crossbow bolts we definitely didn't see him use them that way.  If they're a more readily-available version of a grapple gun then we saw him use them many times.

I wondered what they were several times but figured there would be a clearer shot where we saw what they are, but I never saw any scene that clearly illustrated what they are.  And I now don't recall if he had a device in his hand when he fired his grappling hook.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:41 AM, fantastic_four said:

If they're crossbow bolts we definitely didn't see him use them that way.  If they're a more readily-available version of a grapple gun then we saw him use them many times.

I wondered what they were several times but figured there would be a clearer shot where we saw what they are, but I never saw any scene that clearly illustrated what they are.  And I now don't recall if he had a device in his hand when he fired his grappling hook.

I thought during the final fight with the Riddlerites at one point he pulled bolt out and fired it at one of them shooting into the crowd. I may be wrong. But it was before he injected himself with that Venom-like substance.

I've only seen the movie once, but am I correct in saying that Batman "snuck up" on Catwoman at her mother's grave/vault, since she didn't know he was there... but then they both rode away on motorcycles that were right beside the grave?

Does that mean Batman's motorcycle has a "completely silent sneaking up beside a person in a cemetery" setting? 

Edited by valiantman

One thing I REALLY liked about this Batman was how he didn't look like he gave a jack about anyone in his way.  Oh, you're standing there being menacing?  I don't care at all, I'm walking right past or through you like you're not even there.  What's this, you're dumb enough to try to stop me?  OK, fine, I'll kick your arse in one to two seconds, then.  :applause:

This Batman was all offense, all the time, and I loved that.  The only time I recall him taking any kind of defensive stance was when Selina first met him and was trying to attack him, and then he just easily deflected every kick or punch she threw at him, no sweat, no chance.

On 3/7/2022 at 9:47 AM, fantastic_four said:

One thing I REALLY liked about this Batman was how he didn't look like he gave a jack about anyone in his way.  Oh, you're standing there being menacing?  I don't care at all, I'm walking right past or through you like you're not even there.  What's this, you're dumb enough to try to stop me?  OK, fine, I'll kick your arse in one to two seconds, then.  :applause:

This Batman was all offense, all the time, and I loved that.  The only time I recall him taking any kind of defensive stance was when Selina first met him and was trying to attack him, and then he just easily deflected every kick or punch she threw at him, no sweat, no chance.

I liked that as well.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:39 AM, Bosco685 said:

I didn't?

Is this where I take your approach and proclaim reading is not yiour friend? Or do we get back to discussing the movie details, which clearly I had provided counter-claims to what you had noted.

You made some stuff up to pretend that whispering monotone for 3 hours somehow conveys complex emotions, sure, but that's asinine.

In order for Batman to be "a brawler", he would need to look like someone who works out more than once a week. This could have been solved by simply not including a shirtless scene, where it is completely transparent that there is no definition to his shoulders whatsoever (just 1 example). You can workout routinely and be fit+tone without the same bulk as other guys. He looks like a wimp. Again, just remove the shirtless scene and this wouldn't even be a discussion.

I'm not accepting any excuses for the 1-dimensional performance. Batman is a human being and I expect him to act like one. The duality of Batman and Bruce Wayne is a necessary one for me to give a s^&* about what his characters say and do.