• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Month in My Magazine Collection, or "How I Got Most of the Warren Mags in a Month"
2 2

370 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2022 at 4:02 PM, Axe Elf said:

Ok, I'd been holding off on posting the CREEPY Yearbooks/Annuals to the Gallery, because I was embarrassed of the state of the 1969 Yearbook compared to most of the rest of the collection--but its replacement arrived today, so I got those posted.  Next, I'll post the issues that I've obtained since I first posted the collection--filling the holes, so to speak.  I really wish I could go back and insert those issues into the gallery where they belong, instead of having to tack them on at the end; seems tacky to me.  Maybe I'll stay up all night some night and delete the existing gallery so that I can create it again with every issue in its place.  But that will be after I obtain #10, #29 and #44, so that I can post them ALL in order.

On a side note, it's really kind of "eerie" how the three runs are so distinct in terms of overall quality--and almost exactly evenly spaced in terms of values.  The EERIE collection is the "Po' Boy" collection; counting the #23 that left Belgium on my birthday (but not counting #1, because I'll never have #1), each EERIE book cost exactly $8.40, on average.

The "CREEPY Collection for the Rest of Us" is the mid-range collection; not counting #1 (because the slabbed #1 artificially inflates the average values), as each book cost exactly $16.49, on average.

And then there are the Vampirellas, the Lottery Ticket Collection.  Again, not counting #1 (for the same reason, even if this one isn't slabbed), each Vampirella cost exactly $24.11, on average--and boy, do they look like the Cadillacs of the group.  Like those lucky lottery tickets, I definitely feel like I got more than I paid for in return.

Just because that triple-tier of quality is so interesting in and of itself, I think I'm going to make Galleries for the Po' Boy EERIEs and the Lottery Ticket VAMPIs alongside the CREEPYs for the Rest of Us as well, for informational, educational, and comparative purposes.

So I'll ask those who visit my little thread here:  Which do you want to see first?

Both.💪🤠👍

On 4/7/2022 at 10:24 PM, oakman29 said:

Both.💪🤠👍

Encouraging, but not particularly helpful...

On 4/7/2022 at 10:30 PM, oakman29 said:

Do the Vampirella's first.🤔

Kinda leaning that way, since I have them all in hand, other than the 1972 Annual, which wasn't included in the run I purchased, but could easily be tacked onto the end of the Gallery whenever I get a copy, without interrupting the order.  If I did the EERIEs first, I'd have to pause while I wait for #23 to make landfall from Belgium, and for that matter, I have an upgrade to my current 1.8 (self-graded) #18 currently en route from overseas as well.  All of the rest are at least 2.0 (but only three are less than 3.0).  So they're kind of a work in progress, at least at the very low end, but at least I have one of every issue (except #1).

Of course posting the Lottery Ticket collection first kind of ruins the suspense... but then after all the envious oohs and ahhs of the Vampirellas, you'll have the EERIEs to point at and laugh and make yourselves feel better, so there will be that opportunity for catharsis.

So tomorrow I'll fill in most of the holes I left in the CREEPY collection (will only need to add 10, 29 and 44 later), and then start the Vampis on Saturday.  Five at a time, I think...  give people time to appreciate them--and a month for the EERIEs to arrive.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:51 PM, Axe Elf said:

I wait for #23 to make landfall from Belgium

I wish they had tracking updates while something was in transit overseas.  It's just like it enters a black hole for 10-21 days, and hopefully emerges triumphantly somewhere in the States shortly thereafter.  If not, then who knows when it actually got lost, and the trail could be three weeks old by the time you know you need a trail to follow.

It would be nice if we could see a little progress...  "Your package just crossed 34 degrees east longitude" would be enough, but finer companies could post more personal touches, like, "Your package was awed by the appearance of a pod of blue whales off the starboard bow as it passed 34 degree east longitude today."

And that's what Brown can do for me...

Ok, I figured out that I can re-organize a Gallery by the captions, which was basically the file names when I uploaded them, so that got all the "new" CREEPYs back in numerical order (although it took me like an hour to rename all the file names with 3 digit numbers, otherwise it counts 38, 39, 4, 40, 41, etc.).  And now when I add the last three issues, they will appear in their proper numerical order as well!  The only remaining problem is that since I labeled the Front covers "F" and the Back covers "B" all the back covers appear before the front covers.  Minor inconvenience, but annoying enough that I might try to go in and change those to a "1" and a "2" sometime as well.  Until then, back covers first it is.  But at least now you can step through the entire collection from start to finish (temporarily minus #10, #29 and #44).

A CREEPY Collection for the Rest of Us

And then I started the Lottery Ticket Vampirella Collection gallery, adding the first five issues--and using the "1" and "2" numbering system so the front covers appear before their back covers.  Feel free to comment, like, criticize or drool as you feel led.

The Lottery Ticket VAMPIRELLA Collection

Edited by Axe Elf

I suppose an "end-of-April" update is WARRENted, as Cinco de Mayo will mark the three-monthiversary of my first order of my first Warren magazines (other than the 7 EERIEs and 7 CREEPYs that I found in storage that sparked this wildfire) on February 5 this year.

In the meantime, I have acquired every issue of the following titles, with the marked exceptions:

EERIE (#2 - #139 + 3 Annuals; missing #1)  I will begin posting these to their own gallery, 10 per day, starting tomorrow night, for the next two weeks or so.  I think you'll enjoy the comic relief.

CREEPY (#1 - #28 & #30 - #146 + 5 Annuals)  #44 arrived today, #10 is en route, and I will post them all to the CREEPY gallery linked directly above when I get my #29.

VAMPIRELLA (#1 - #113)  1972 Annual is en route from Great Britain.  I will be posting the last 3 issues tonight to the Vampi gallery linked directly above, and the Annual when it arrives.

The ROOK (#1 - #14 + Warren Presents #6 - The ROOK Special)

The GOBLIN (#1 - #3)

CREEPY The Limited Series (Harris) (#1 - #4 + 1993 Fearbook)

CREEPY (Dark Horse) (#1 - #24)

EERIE (Dark Horse) (#1 - #8)

The CREEPS (#1 - #32 + 4 Annuals)

Still on the horizon:  1984/1994, Comix International, Warren Presents, The Spirit, SHUDDER, Vampiress Carmilla

Check with me again at the six month mark...

Once I get through posting the Po'Boys EERIE Gallery, I might make a fourth Gallery for all the various short-run Warren and Warren wannabes as well.

And finally, my Warren Magazine Reading Club kicks off tonight at midnight, where I (and whoever wants to join in) am going to read all of the major Warren magazines in chronological order, one per week, for something like the next ten years, God willing.

Edited by Axe Elf

On 4/30/2022 at 10:29 PM, Axe Elf said:

Still on the horizon:  1984/1994, Comix International, Warren Presents, The Spirit, SHUDDER, Vampiress Carmilla

I guess I should have waited to post a "beginning of May" update instead of yesterday's "end-of-April" update, because it was kind of a profitable day for me (going back to yesterday evening's poker games).

Today, I managed to wrangle deals for:

CREEPY #29:  My CREEPY run is now complete, as are the EERIEs and the VAMPIs (pending the safe arrival of #10, #29, and the VAMPI Annual, of course).  (Except for EERIE #1, but NOBODY has EERIE #1.)

The SPIRIT (Warren issues #1 - #16)

1984/1994 (#1 - #29)

Warren Presents #1 - #15(?):  According to the Warren Magazine Index, there are only 14 issues in the "Warren Presents" series, so I probably should have paid more attention to the pics.  Upon further review, I think it might be about 10 of the actual Warren Presents series, with a few other Star Wars/Close Encounters/Moonraker books thrown in.  So I might have to do a little repair work on that run, but I'll sort it out when they arrive.

I guess I forgot to list Blazing Combat as "still on the horizon" as well, so Blazing Combat, Comix International, SHUDDER, and Vampiress Carmilla... plus whatever Warren Presents I still need for that run.

Although I also saw that Harris has a 5-issue run of their own version of The ROOK.  It doesn't seem to bear much resemblance to my favorite serial character from the EERIEs, but 5 issues?  Meh.  Might as well...

596 books and counting; we're getting close.

Edited by Axe Elf

On 5/1/2022 at 7:39 PM, Axe Elf said:

I guess I should have waited to post a "beginning of May" update instead of yesterday's "end-of-April" update, because it was kind of a profitable day for me (going back to yesterday evening's poker games).

Today, I managed to wrangle deals for:

CREEPY #29:  My CREEPY run is now complete, as are the EERIEs and the VAMPIs (pending the safe arrival of #10, #29, and the VAMPI Annual, of course).  (Except for EERIE #1, but NOBODY has EERIE #1.)

I saw an auction for 29 that was winding down today and was quietly rooting for you.👍. Glad you nabbed one- congrats!

On 5/2/2022 at 12:17 AM, This is Who We Are said:

I saw an auction for 29 that was winding down today and was quietly rooting for you.👍. Glad you nabbed one- congrats!

If it was on da'Bay, that was probably the one.  Kinda lowered my budget AND my standard, due in part to the other spending that went on today, but at least I got one at a price that didn't break any records--and most importantly, the collection is now complete!

On 4/9/2022 at 3:11 AM, Axe Elf said:

And in case you were looking for it, The Po'Boy EERIE Collection gallery was started tonight (even though it was immediately pre-empted by Donald Duck).

On 5/2/2022 at 11:15 PM, This is Who We Are said:

I think you ought to consider pursuing Skywald mags.  Those may take more than a month but then again I wouldn’t bet against you with your streak👍

Man, my originally laser sharp focus on CREEPYs and EERIEs has already spray-nozzled into like a dozen different series already; I don't need anyone's encouragement to start on more.

Electronic versions, though; those are what's going to keep me from getting a divorce...

So the CREEPY #29 arrived today, completing the collection.  It's no beaut, but it didn't break the bank, either.

I'll post #10, #29 and #44 to the CREEPY gallery after I get done with the EERIEs.  I really need to go in and change half of the CREEPY file names so that the back covers appear AFTER the front covers, instead of before (which irritates my OCD no end).  But it's going to be a long, tedious job, and it's going to look to the public like I'm posting all the CREEPY covers AGAIN because it treats them as newly-posted if you update the file names or descriptions or anything.  But it will have to be done.  Probly late night on a weekend.

702085505_CREEPY29F.thumb.jpg.efe645dcbbcab886dd47ecf18764dffb.jpg

And the 1984/1994 run arrived today as well.  You want horror?  They arrived UNbagged and UNboarded, wedged into the corner of a medium flat rate box, with some bubble wrap on two edges and on top--and a nasty looking rip in the side of the box that the spines were pressed up against!

I don't know how they escaped damage, but I don't see anything remarkable on the spines that were in that area, so, whew...  I bought the run from the original owner, so I don't think he was really a "comic book guy"; he was just selling off his collection.

He had listed all 10 of the 1984s in one auction, and all 19 of the 1994s in another auction, starting at $10 each, with 9 days yet to go, when I saw them.  He was also offering free shipping!  So I shot him a message to see if he would take $150 for the whole run right now, and he accepted.

I mean, they're no Vampirellas, but they're no EERIEs, either; mostly in that F/VF range with a few having a little more corner crunching or spine stressing than others.  For just over $5 each, I'm satisfied to have nailed down a decent run all in one shot.  I won't post them all, but man, some of these covers are OUT THERE!!!

Like the mohawked red demon holding a near-naked girl by the hair as he's being attacked by Conan on a rainbow-farting seahorse Pegasus in the Himalayan mountains...  You don't get that from Batman.

39810214_19843F.thumb.jpg.498f64a255c4a07c4b6d143dbb807424.jpg1771221219_19848F.thumb.jpg.0a02c5ab0fce10dd00e6cbf02c7dc0a3.jpg1722277131_199412F.thumb.jpg.35f770b2bf661b3b80affb80c8ca0525.jpg365889729_199417F.thumb.jpg.1d59f57a4bcd622a55e8e9560f095400.jpg249832467_199422F.thumb.jpg.c8dece327672265ef767237f8320d848.jpg1644960479_199424F.thumb.jpg.afdb3988ec283e92e1c3d97535f2e9ae.jpg905388275_199428F.thumb.jpg.fa93455dfb589ec5263198d43b6cf35e.jpg

On 5/5/2022 at 7:56 AM, Jayman said:

One of my favorite covers with all the classic robots! :applause:

Yanno, I didn't even notice that they were classic robots!  Nice!

The gal from Metropolis and Klaatu!