• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Month in My Magazine Collection, or "How I Got Most of the Warren Mags in a Month"
2 2

370 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2022 at 2:25 PM, Jayman said:

Even has Muffit from Battlestat Galactica who was really a monkey! :whatthe:

2D04B02A-0997-48DE-8753-40CB93654EAE.jpeg

3B9BC25E-5196-4EEA-A0FC-25A6DEDA0BDC.webp

lol  I wasn't sure what the monkey was from!

The SPIRITs and Warren Presents runs arrived today, but by the time I got around to unboxing them I was too tired to get them scanned tonight...  probly try to get some up tomorrow.

The SPIRITs look pretty nice; the Warren Presents are mostly beaters with a couple of nicer issues thrown in--but that's ok, that's kind of what I expected at $5 per book.

I actually kind of waffled on whether or not I wanted to go for the Warren Presents series, because for one thing, it's kind of hard to tell what all is "officially" included in the series.  This listing was for 15 books and claimed to be the "Warren Presents COMPLETE SET"--but according to the Warren Magazine Index, there are only 14 issues in the Warren Presents run, and this listing turned out to be for 11 of them, plus 4 of the 5 (what I will call) "movie specials."  At least I think there are 5.  I got the Famous Monsters Star Wars Spectacular, the Close Encounters of the Third Kind special, the Moonraker special, and the Meteor special.  I know there is also a Lord of the Rings special out there too (concerning the Bakshi movie)--does anyone know of any others?

So if collecting Warren magazines to begin with isn't enough of a rabbit hole, just deciding to include the Warren Presents series has turned out to be its own little mini-rabbit-hole that I fell down while chasing the simplicity of a "$75 for the complete set" coup.

Fortunately, I was able to find the other 3 of the official 14 Warren Presents issues from other sellers on da'Bay at the same time with a minimum of hassle, and 1 of those 3 arrived today as well, with the other 2 due by Monday.  Problem is, they're not $5 each when you're buying the single mags, so I'm in another $60 plus additional shipping now (at least the 2 due Monday featured combined shipping from the same seller).

And since I have 4 of the 5 "movie specials" now, I'm almost obligated to get a Lord of the Rings special as well--and it looks like THAT isn't going to be cheap either...  I'm almost certain to be over $200 (including tax and shipping) by the time I get what I thought I was getting for under $100.  Sheesh...

I didn't even really WANT to collect the movie specials; they're more along the lines of the Famous Monsters of Filmland books that are the redheaded stepchildren of Warren Publishing to me--no comics, just movie pics and text that reads like it was written by an eighth-grader.  Heck, the first one was even titled "Famous Monsters Presents... Star Wars Spectacular."  So they're really more a part of the Warren dark side than something I want to read.

But now that I have all the Warren Presents and the movie specials, I'm almost obligated to get the other 4 (that I know of) "Warren Specials"--The SPIRIT Special, the VAMPIRELLA Special, the Odd World of Richard Corben, and the Best of Blazing Combat--and a couple of those look REAL pricey at the moment.

Are there any more Warren Specials still out there that I need to know about?  (I'm sure there are probably at least three others, and that they will all likely cost me $300-$500 each...)

On the plus side, at least I'm not looking for nice copies or anything; EERIE standards apply.

So I hope this is correct, but I THINK I am down to 14 more Warrens before I'm done--the 4 Warren Specials + 1 movie special (LOTR), the 5 Comix Internationals, and the 4 Blazing Combats.

I will also order all the back issues of Warrant's SHUDDER and VAMPIRESS CARMILLA each and every Christmas going forward.  I believe there will be a combined 22 back issues by this Christmas to catch me up--and I hope at that point I will be putting the lid on EVERYTHING Warren and Warrenesque that I have coveted to date.

So 36 more books total... and counting... with a dozen new Warrants every Christmas!  (At least until the lawyers shut those down too.)

I guess I'm still kinda on the fence about HELP!  I'll see how bored I get when I'm done with the rest...  Maybe if I can get them all at once.

(The next book I buy will be my 600th.)

"Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are..."

Here are a few of the SPIRITs...  I thought "the Christmas Spirit" issue was kind of cute, but I don't know if the "All Ebony Issue" (#7) would fly today...

1429733973_TheSPIRIT5F.thumb.jpg.2ce216681c112bb2ea3ebcfce1532c61.jpg915414274_TheSPIRIT6F.thumb.jpg.c52a70664ef8690717fe89097a2f6cf1.jpg180353663_TheSPIRIT7F.thumb.jpg.424cca81baf01dc622f47d6a3068759f.jpg531357213_TheSPIRIT8F.thumb.jpg.f79be6eb8cca717ae31a1e62b5c00cb1.jpg1482771325_TheSPIRIT10F.thumb.jpg.f25e917db76190fba5a94a21c46f1748.jpg1582932343_TheSPIRIT11F.thumb.jpg.1f267481993b933bf4b84b6ecf1744e5.jpg616037784_TheSPIRIT12F.thumb.jpg.758812def4aaf5372ebbff0ad0fd8890.jpg

And I got the Warren Presents/Movie Specials scanned today too.  Here's some of the good, the bad, and the ugly...

I don't remember seen any of these Rex Havoc books posted here before.  They changed it to "Raiders of the Fantastic" for the special edition, but it would have been funnier if they had kept the original name from the Rex Havoc run in the 1984/1994 comics--"Asskickers of the Fantastic."  lol

572531750_WarrenPresents14-RexHavocF.thumb.jpg.4375e495fc0af7d4eea62196aac64b02.jpg2091546719_WarrenPresentsMovieSpecial4-MoonrakerF.thumb.jpg.c8b67b30d45667bd37921b3ae088e47e.jpg1744102205_WarrenPresents13-SwordSorceryComixF.thumb.jpg.8cf86d55cef2e70cea1a33be657cc361.jpg1352321556_WarrenPresents8-MovieAliensIllustratedF.thumb.jpg.e56d032c8e4723117ab6cdced9e15640.jpg596519678_WarrenPresents1-UFOandAlienComixF.thumb.jpg.3db743a7a64b988c65c7bfb6e0b8f4f3.jpg1710078344_WarrenPresents5-RingoftheWarlordsf.thumb.jpg.b30322a562ce98f04fdbc79f91ba1af7.jpg1391648004_WarrenPresentsMovieSpecial1-FamousMonstersStarWarsSpectacularF.thumb.jpg.f5e04073b176dd82ba62e70c8de911fa.jpg1180094364_WarrenPresents3-StarQuestComixF.thumb.jpg.092a9d3d1a57a6b3fcd3385066205213.jpg

On 5/7/2022 at 4:25 PM, Axe Elf said:

And I got the Warren Presents/Movie Specials scanned today too.  Here's some of the good, the bad, and the ugly...

I don't remember seen any of these Rex Havoc books posted here before.  They changed it to "Raiders of the Fantastic" for the special edition, but it would have been funnier if they had kept the original name from the Rex Havoc run in the 1984/1994 comics--"Asskickers of the Fantastic."  lol

572531750_WarrenPresents14-RexHavocF.thumb.jpg.4375e495fc0af7d4eea62196aac64b02.jpg

As I said when I got a copy, "Trying so hard to be mistaken for Raiders of the Lost Ark it hurts."

Admittedly, the hurt is because you're laughing so hard, but...

On 5/7/2022 at 12:18 AM, Axe Elf said:

But now that I have all the Warren Presents and the movie specials, I'm almost obligated to get the other 4 (that I know of) "Warren Specials"--The SPIRIT Special, the VAMPIRELLA Special, the Odd World of Richard Corben, and the Best of Blazing Combat--and a couple of those look REAL pricey at the moment.

I think you can safely skip the Spirit and Blazing Combat specials unless you're feeling very completest, they're both all reprints from the earlier Warren issues... the Spirit special specifically just reprints the color sections from the 1st 10 Warren Spirits, I believe; and Blazing Combat is B&W.  I THINK... and would love to be corrected if I'm wrong... the Vampi special, while all reprint, has some stories in color for the first time.  The Corben book reprints non-Warren material.

Anybody else know anything for sure about them?

On 5/7/2022 at 9:00 PM, OtherEric said:

I think you can safely skip the Spirit and Blazing Combat specials unless you're feeling very completest, they're both all reprints from the earlier Warren issues... the Spirit special specifically just reprints the color sections from the 1st 10 Warren Spirits, I believe; and Blazing Combat is B&W.  I THINK... and would love to be corrected if I'm wrong... the Vampi special, while all reprint, has some stories in color for the first time.  The Corben book reprints non-Warren material.

That's as I understand it, and yes, it would be totally completist and nothing but completist.  I really wasn't targeting ANY of these movie specials and other specials at all--until I accidentally got four of them in this last batch that I thought was a complete Warren Presents set.  So what, I'm going to stop with four out of nine?  Fuhgeddaboudit...

On 5/7/2022 at 9:00 PM, OtherEric said:

The Blazing Combat anthology is in black and white and reprints the covers in color. All of your other suppositions are correct :highfive:

On 5/7/2022 at 7:44 PM, Axe Elf said:

That's as I understand it, and yes, it would be totally completist and nothing but completist.  I really wasn't targeting ANY of these movie specials and other specials at all--until I accidentally got four of them in this last batch that I thought was a complete Warren Presents set.  So what, I'm going to stop with four out of nine?  Fuhgeddaboudit...

Btw, How’s the marriage? Still considering Skywald?

On 5/8/2022 at 2:54 PM, This is Who We Are said:

Btw, How’s the marriage? Still considering Skywald?

The marriage remains as long as I can settle for electronic versions of any un-WARREN-ted interests--and so far, that's working quite nicely.  You all have introduced me to a lot of things I'd like to READ, but nothing that really means as much to me to OWN as the Warren books (and believe me, that's ballooned into plenty all by itself).

Somebody threw in an electronic copy of the Psycho 1972 Annual when I was buying something else, but so far, that's my only Skywald.

On 5/8/2022 at 1:52 PM, Axe Elf said:

The marriage remains as long as I can settle for electronic versions of any un-WARREN-ted interests--and so far, that's working quite nicely. ).

Somebody threw in an electronic copy of the Psycho 1972 Annual when I was buying something else, but so far, that's my only Skywald.

…that fateful day someone slipped me an electronic version of a skywald mag…down the rabbit hole…😎.  

On 5/8/2022 at 11:45 PM, OtherEric said:

Skywald failed to correctly set up the copyright on their magazines.  (They did do them correctly on their comic-sized books.)  So CB+ carries them, they're past DCM's cutoff:

https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=3515

Awesome!  Thanks!

The last two of the 14-issue "Warren Presents" run kind of upped the overall quality of the set a notch or two (but then I guess they should; they were $20 each compared to the $5 each I spent on the rest of the set).

456351065_WarrenPresents9-Dracula79F.thumb.jpg.08b6ef444a5418a0c13db74ed220d6a2.jpg483068610_WarrenPresents10-StrangeStoriesofVampiresComixF.thumb.jpg.e3db62a851ff2125cbc85fbe33a284c1.jpg

On 5/8/2022 at 11:45 PM, OtherEric said:

Skywald failed to correctly set up the copyright on their magazines.  (They did do them correctly on their comic-sized books.)  So CB+ carries them, they're past DCM's cutoff:

https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=3515

Any idea how to get someone's attention there?  I signed up for an account so I could download some of the Skywalds, but they have to manually approve my account before I can log in, and it's been a couple of days now.  They say they check membership applications at least twice a day.  Hmph.

On 5/10/2022 at 3:34 PM, Axe Elf said:

Any idea how to get someone's attention there?  I signed up for an account so I could download some of the Skywalds, but they have to manually approve my account before I can log in, and it's been a couple of days now.  They say they check membership applications at least twice a day.  Hmph.

Sorry, no.  I haven't been a mod at CB+ since Digital Comic Museum opened. 

If you (or anybody) ever have trouble registering at DCM, I can help.  But we don't host the 70's books there even if they're public domain.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:46 PM, OtherEric said:

You appear to be missing the three issues of "Teen Love Stories", which I will freely admit are extremely forgettable... but they are Warren mags that are over 50% comics.

Yeah, no real interest in romance comics.  But again, maybe digitally.

On 5/10/2022 at 9:46 PM, OtherEric said:

You appear to be missing the three issues of "Teen Love Stories", which I will freely admit are extremely forgettable... but they are Warren mags that are over 50% comics.

Quite hard to find too!