• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Month in My Magazine Collection, or "How I Got Most of the Warren Mags in a Month"
2 2

370 posts in this topic

Let me get this straight. You got not just Blazing Combat 1 for 135.00, you got all 4 for 135.00? 

What are you thinking about Eerie 1 ashcan? I mean you aren't complete without it.🤔

This one is mine.😊

large.img065.thumb.jpg.3c88e175181c0a1eb6ff00d65f87c3ab.jpg.8483efff4509e5cbbc25cf1841ecd46e.jpg.ed379ec7c4c21c50ead1b1cd39306e7a.jpg

Edited by oakman29

On 5/14/2022 at 8:20 PM, oakman29 said:

Let me get this straight. You got not just Blazing Combat 1 for 135.00, you got all 4 for 135.00? 

What are you thinking about Eerie 1 ashcan? I mean you aren't complete without it.🤔

large.img065.thumb.jpg.3c88e175181c0a1eb6ff00d65f87c3ab.jpg.8483efff4509e5cbbc25cf1841ecd46e.jpg.ed379ec7c4c21c50ead1b1cd39306e7a.jpg

Sure, if I can find one under $50...

Oh, and yes on the all 4 BCs for $135... I kinda figured $50, $15. $30 and $40 for them, respectively.

Edited by Axe Elf

On 5/14/2022 at 6:28 PM, Axe Elf said:

Sure, if I can find one under $50...

Oh, and yes on the all 4 BCs for $135... I kinda figured $50, $15. $30 and $40 for them, respectively.

You find some great deals.👍

On 5/14/2022 at 8:24 PM, oakman29 said:

Oh and there is this one .

1798757.jpg.0d8e428909c524bb893ca77049aa1677.jpg

Just a one-off, eh?  It's not even listed in Warren's wikipedia article!

It's really starting to sink in that comic collecting is just like the universe--infinite, but bounded.

On 5/14/2022 at 6:32 PM, Axe Elf said:

Just a one-off, eh?  It's not even listed in Warren's wikipedia article!

It's really starting to sink in that comic collecting is just like the universe--infinite, but bounded.

The House of Horror 1 is in fact a 1 off a pretty hard book to find in any shape.

On 5/14/2022 at 8:31 PM, oakman29 said:

You find some great deals.👍

From some of the listings I've seen, I thought I was doing pretty well getting the Comix Internationals 1, 2, 4, and 5 for $110 total (50/20/20/20), esp. seeing how nice the #1 is now.

But I think the record still goes to, who was it, wombat?  Whoever found that CREEPY #29 for $5.

That takes that cake.

My 8.0 EERIE #25 for $6.95 gets Honorable Mention.

On 5/14/2022 at 8:34 PM, oakman29 said:

The House of Horror 1 is in fact a 1 off a pretty hard book to find in any shape.

Three on da'Bay right now ranging between $750 and $1000...  it can wait.  lol

Is that your personal copy?  If so, congrats!

On 5/14/2022 at 6:40 PM, Axe Elf said:

Three on da'Bay right now ranging between $750 and $1000...  it can wait.  lol

Is that your personal copy?  If so, congrats!

No I dont own one yet, but it's on the horizon. 😉

On 5/14/2022 at 8:42 PM, oakman29 said:

No I dont own one yet, but it's on the horizon. 😉

Ah, well then let me retract the congrats and append a Good Luck!

On 5/14/2022 at 9:01 PM, This is Who We Are said:

On second thought…I think you should stick with Warren.  No need to pursue Skywald mags…nothing to see there :baiting:

I "have" them all already.  I just can't cuddle with them or sell them, but for purposes of enjoying the stories and art... check.

On 5/14/2022 at 6:20 PM, oakman29 said:

This one is mine.😊

I keep thinking whoever currently owns the rights to Eerie could probably make some decent coin it they did a high quality facsimile of the #1. Same paper stock & size as the original, same trim size, only difference a discrete "2022 printing" and any additional legalese they need at the bottom of the inside front cover in small type.

I would back a kickstarter or similar crowdfunding project for around $20-$25 dollars to get a copy like that.  Maybe they could offer two versions... one the original size and one normal magazine size.

But for now I'll be using the Eerie Archive comixology version for the reading club.

If you've been following along at home, you know that I finished posting the last issues to the EERIE gallery tonight... so all three are basically complete now, and stand as a study in contrasting the manifestation of three distinct approaches and budgets:

The Po'Boy EERIE Collection (about $10 per book)

A CREEPY Collection for the Rest of Us (about $20 per book)

The Lottery Ticket VAMPIRELLA Collection (about $30 per book)

I think I'm going to take a break this week, and then next week late night on the weekend I'll work on repairing the numbering/catalog system for the CREEPY gallery so that the front covers appear before the back covers.  It will make it look like I'm posting all the front covers again, though; so hopefully doing it at night won't bother anyone.

And then I will finish it off by uploading the last 3 CREEPYs to the gallery also--my recently acquired #10, #29 and #44--and then THAT will be complete!

And then hopefully my VAMPIRELLA 1972 Annual will arrive from Great Britain sometime in the next couple of weeks as well, so I can post it to close out THAT gallery!

And then maybe after another week, start building my final gallery of all the leftover short Warren and Warreny-type runs.

(Consider yourselves foreshadowed...)

Edited by Axe Elf

I am truly blessed, as I believe I have now gone 5-for-5 with expensive books shipped in from overseas.  Man, I hate overseas tracking, though... it's like, April 25, tracking number provided; April 26, origin post preparing shipment...estimated delivery Monday May 9...and then nothing for two or three weeks.  And then a week after the estimated delivery date, just when you're sure it's been lost in the high seas somewhere, May 16, arrived at Kansas City Regional Distribution Center, and BOOM! May 17 it finally arrives.  What good is that tracking?  lol

Anyway, behold the last piece of the CREEPY/EERIE/VAMPI trifecta; the only issue that didn't come with the full VAMPIRELLA run (well, except the Special, but I'm counting that among the Warren Presents/Special Editions instead of as a Vampirella issue per se).  I wasn't able to afford a copy that approached the Near-Mintiness of most of the rest of the set, but I think I did all right.

411868025_VAMPIRELLA1972AnnualF.thumb.jpg.85f3ed418866b2409282550c518d8a08.jpg

The other two Teen Love Stories arrived too, so soon I will know what to do about pot in my high school...

Edited by Axe Elf

On 5/17/2022 at 8:08 PM, OtherEric said:

Nice!  Once my next box from MCS arrives I’ll be down to single digits on the Vampirella run.  I’m assuming you’ll beat me to the special if a cheap one turns up, though.

Yeah, well, therein lies the rub...

On 5/17/2022 at 5:45 PM, Axe Elf said:

I am truly blessed, as I believe I have now gone 5-for-5 with expensive books shipped in from overseas.  Man, I hate overseas tracking, though... it's like, April 25, tracking number provided; April 26, origin post preparing shipment...estimated delivery Monday May 9...and then nothing for two or three weeks.  And then a week after the estimated delivery date, just when you're sure it's been lost in the high seas somewhere, May 16, arrived at Kansas City Regional Distribution Center, and BOOM! May 17 it finally arrives.  What good is that tracking?  lol

Anyway, behold the last piece of the CREEPY/EERIE/VAMPI trifecta; the only issue that didn't come with the full VAMPIRELLA run (well, except the Special, but I'm counting that among the Warren Presents/Special Editions instead of as a Vampirella issue per se).  I wasn't able to afford a copy that approached the Near-Mintiness of most of the rest of the set, but I think I did all right.

411868025_VAMPIRELLA1972AnnualF.thumb.jpg.85f3ed418866b2409282550c518d8a08.jpg

The other two Teen Love Stories arrived too, so soon I will know what to do about pot in my high school...

That's a pretty nice copy . Dude you have just astonished me with your voracious collecting focus. 

On 5/17/2022 at 9:42 PM, oakman29 said:

That's a pretty nice copy . Dude you have just astonished me with your voracious collecting focus. 

It did kind of consume me for the past three months, but there's definitely getting to be more light than tunnel at this point.

2am on a Saturday night...

If I'm ever going to go in and change half of the file names in the CREEPY gallery so that the front covers appear before the back covers (instead of the current configuration in which the back covers appear before the front covers) without annoying the whole board with constant gallery updates, it's now...

...but I just couldn't bring myself to engage in that; it would be just too tedious.

So the score stands with Impurfect Reality shutting out OCD Perfection by a score of 1-0.

The CREEPY gallery is just backwards, and backwards it is going to stay.

I did go in and add the last 3 of the CREEPYs (#10, #29 and #44) and the VAMPIRELLA 1972 Annual to that gallery--so both of those two galleries are fully complete now!  The EERIE gallery is essentially complete, until such time as someone wills me their EERIE #1, anyway.

Coming in one week:  The More Warren and Other Warranted Warrenesque Warrenness Gallery!