• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Month in My Magazine Collection, or "How I Got Most of the Warren Mags in a Month"
2 2

370 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2022 at 5:32 PM, Axe Elf said:

Looks like this one isn't going to be easy.  Only 100 copies out there?  Sheesh...

Man, I cringed every time that guy said “Vampi-RILLA”! :eek:

On 6/21/2022 at 10:01 PM, Jayman said:

Man, I cringed every time that guy said “Vampi-RILLA”! :eek:

Heh.  He did have a bit of an accent.

So one of the algorithmically-featured items presented to me upon my daily visit to da'Bay was this book--and it caught my interest because it is literally the exact same book as my only slab--a CGC 9.0 CREEPY #1!

image.thumb.png.2be7b5282eb4f3454dbc06c9a75136df.png

So of course I set about putting CGC's new Certification Verification Tool to good use, and looked the girl up...

image.thumb.png.8ce119436244a4e5607b5fa6be911e2e.png

A relative newcomer to the census less than two months ago!  ...But that's all in the Grader Notes?  Nothing about that color-breaking crunch at the bottom of the spine (front and back) and the bottom leading edge (especially on back)?  MAYBE a little damage at the top of the spine too (especially on front)?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

So I looked up mine--and realized that my slab is one year old tomorrow!  WOOT!  :golfclap:

image.thumb.png.8b8f95858bc78a08fcd4e4d735582076.png

But I think my 9.0 looks better than your 9.0...  :devil:

2132469430_CREEPY1FRotated.thumb.jpg.9fd1fca2876cb6a34a3201c8e8ac94d0.jpg

164644159_CREEPY1BRotated.thumb.jpg.7c96f30cf6f6496b08b8ac753e2fd20c.jpg

INTERESTING HUMAN INTEREST SIDE PIECE:

I was adopted by the people I knew as my "parents" when I was about 1 year old.

I adopted my CREEPY #1 slab when it was almost 1 year old.

I can only hope to give it as good of a home and a life as I was given.

Edited by Axe Elf

On 7/7/2022 at 7:21 PM, Axe Elf said:

So one of the algorithmically-featured items presented to me upon my daily visit to da'Bay was this book--and it caught my interest because it is literally the exact same book as my only slab--a CGC 9.0 CREEPY #1!

image.thumb.png.2be7b5282eb4f3454dbc06c9a75136df.png

So of course I set about putting CGC's new Certification Verification Tool to good use, and looked the girl up...

image.thumb.png.8ce119436244a4e5607b5fa6be911e2e.png

A relative newcomer to the census less than two months ago!  ...But that's all in the Grader Notes?  Nothing about that color-breaking crunch at the bottom of the spine (front and back) and the bottom leading edge (especially on back)?  MAYBE a little damage at the top of the spine too (especially on front)?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

So I looked up mine--and realized that my slab is one year old tomorrow!  WOOT!  :golfclap:

image.thumb.png.8b8f95858bc78a08fcd4e4d735582076.png

But I think my 9.0 looks better than your 9.0...  :devil:

2132469430_CREEPY1FRotated.thumb.jpg.9fd1fca2876cb6a34a3201c8e8ac94d0.jpg

164644159_CREEPY1BRotated.thumb.jpg.7c96f30cf6f6496b08b8ac753e2fd20c.jpg

The copy for sale doesnt look bright and fresh like a new copy.

Yours is very nice.

My 9.0 has that bright color look. 

image.png.b6646f3e4f0f1fc3ccc10faca146129b.png

On 7/7/2022 at 7:21 PM, Axe Elf said:

This comment immediately led me to think someone was using the image of your book for a sales scam, then I saw Reece’s name and was more perplexed.  Glad it wasn’t anything of the sort.

On 7/8/2022 at 2:33 PM, steveinthecity said:

This comment immediately led me to think someone was using the image of your book for a sales scam, then I saw Reece’s name and was more perplexed.  Glad it wasn’t anything of the sort.

Sorry, I guess "literally the exact same book" was not technically correct.  I meant it is literally another example of the exact same book--same title, same issue, same CGC graded slab, same grade.

Certainly didn't want to be impugning anyone's reputation; I was more celebrating the CGC 9.0 CREEPY #1 Club, of which @oakman29 is also apparently a member!

Maybe we should have our own Club thread... 

Found at the local Barnes & Noble today.  I haven't been following the Warrant magazines much... but I doubt any of us in this forum could resist grabbing a couple B&W comic magazines with Frazetta and Ken Kelly covers if we ran across them in the wild.  Goodness knows I couldn't.

Anybody know the source of the Frazetta cover?

Carmilla_09.jpg

Carmilla_10.jpg

On 7/8/2022 at 4:28 PM, OtherEric said:

I doubt any of us in this forum could resist grabbing a couple B&W comic magazines with Frazetta and Ken Kelly covers if we ran across them in the wild.

I plan to catch up on all existing back issues of SHUDDER and VAMPIRESS CARMILLA once a year, starting with this Christmas, so long as the titles are published.  If I've calculated correctly, there will be 22 issues/annuals combined between the two series available by the end of this year.

I might not even wait that long.  I was kind of hoping they would be the cherry on top of my 2022 efforts, giving me until the end of the year to complete the rest of my Warren and Warrenesque collection--but with the After Hours books and a couple of the Special Editions looking like major purchases (several hundred dollars each) at this point, I may just cave and go for the Warrants sooner rather than later.

I already have full run of The CREEPS, with Annuals, which I'll start posting pretty soon in my final Gallery, "Other Warranted Warrenesque Warrenness" (coming soon to a CGC forum near you), along with a handful of the Harris and Dark Horse runs based on Warren titles and characters.  And yeah, I was very impressed with the selection of cover art across the run of The CREEPS.  And a lot of their back covers are dedicated to advertising and promoting the Frank Frazetta museum.

Sorry, don't know enough about the art to be able to name a source for you though.

Edited by Axe Elf

On 7/8/2022 at 5:28 PM, OtherEric said:

Found at the local Barnes & Noble today.  I haven't been following the Warrant magazines much... but I doubt any of us in this forum could resist grabbing a couple B&W comic magazines with Frazetta and Ken Kelly covers if we ran across them in the wild.  Goodness knows I couldn't.

Anybody know the source of the Frazetta cover?

Carmilla_09.jpg

Carmilla_10.jpg

Return of Jongor

jongor.jpg

Edited by Makmorn

On 7/8/2022 at 5:48 PM, OtherEric said:

I meant to post in the "This Week" thread, my apologies for stepping on your toes here, Axe Elf. 

No offense taken--I suspected you might have wanted a broader audience for your purchases, but they are intimately tied to my own collecting too, and therefore well worth discussing in my thread!

On 7/16/2022 at 6:03 PM, Axe Elf said:

UPGRADE!!!

726784176_EERIE13F.thumb.jpg.8047966edceba8f67daf4a3eb309a160.jpg

It was kind of costly compared to my other EERIEs ($25), but most serious upgrades I was seeing for #13 were priced closer to $50, so I was happy to land this one--and now I only have one EERIE (#35) that isn't at least in the "VG" family or higher!

Great cover congrats! I remember as a kid seeing this issue in the back issue section of the Warren mags. With those tiny black and white images, I had always thought that skeleton guy was jabbing some kind of spear in the guy’s neck! When I finally got one, I was severely disappointed to see it was just an uber tightened scarf. Still a very cool cover, just not as horrific as I imagined! :flamed:

DOWNGRADE!!!

Heh.  Technically.  But it's always kind of bothered me that my CREEPY #1 is in a slab so that I can't hold it, read it, snuggle with it, etc.  Now, I'm not so much of a zealot as to crack it out of its case, thereby reducing its value for the estate of my heirs, but I have had my eyes open for a reader copy of CREEPY #1, just so I could have a raw one as well.  Problem being, most raw CREEPY #1s that aren't totally trashed are upwards of $100 or more, and since I haven't had to spend more than $45 on any individual book up to now, I'm certainly not going to start paying that kind of money now for an undercopy.

So I was pretty pleased to lay my hands on this copy for under $40.  It's a bit dirty, scuffy, and has a few minor tears with a bit of a spine roll, but overall, very presentable at the price.

1855714948_CREEPY1RawF.thumb.jpg.4e1430d29f973ab4c86b73fbbbedda9a.jpg

And, in a bonus arrival, I completed the Flintstones trifecta, adding the 1964 29c price variant to the 1964 25c issue and the 1965 issue.

1422314382_SpecialEdition-FlintstonesattheNewYorkWorldsFair196429cF.thumb.jpg.dc510cf9ad57858b32eb9e0dcbf86ee2.jpg

In case you missed it, I kicked off my final gallery tonight (assuming I don't get the money or inclination to chase Famous Monsters of Filmland)--dedicated to Other Warranted Warrenesque Warrenness.

So here's an index to all five, which I will copy and edit into my first post on the first page of this thread for easy access and reference.

The Po'Boy EERIE Collection

A CREEPY Collection for the Rest of Us

The Lottery Ticket VAMPIRELLA Collection

Down the WARREN Rabbit Hole

Other Warranted Warrenesque Warrenness

On 7/24/2022 at 2:10 AM, Axe Elf said:

In case you missed it, I kicked off my final gallery tonight (assuming I don't get the money or inclination to chase Famous Monsters of Filmland)--dedicated to Other Warranted Warrenesque Warrenness.

So here's an index to all five, which I will copy and edit into my first post on the first page of this thread for easy access and reference.

The Po'Boy EERIE Collection

A CREEPY Collection for the Rest of Us

The Lottery Ticket VAMPIRELLA Collection

Down the WARREN Rabbit Hole

Other Warranted Warrenesque Warrenness

You've got a really nice run of CREEPS, AE. Thanks for posting them.

On 7/27/2022 at 10:51 AM, Artifiction said:

You've got a really nice run of CREEPS, AE. Thanks for posting them.

You could still get all the back issues direct from Warrant up until the end of May this year, so I took advantage of that.

On 7/27/2022 at 12:16 PM, Axe Elf said:

You could still get all the back issues direct from Warrant up until the end of May this year, so I took advantage of that.

Yeah, I missed out on that deal. :cry:

My first update in over a month is a glorious one, as I finally found my affordable VAMPIRELLA Special!

The back cover has a little creasing, but the front cover is way too pretty for the $41.01 I paid for it!

768832954_SpecialEdition-VAMPIRELLASpecialF.thumb.jpg.5cfbec969817563d75ca5a610cd59fad.jpg

But the real story here is the "Odd World of Richard Corben" that was up for auction at $39 this past week, ending last night at 6:58pm.

I guess I got involved in watching football yesterday afternoon/evening, and then I got bored, and I decided to start playing a little online poker tournament.  So I'm sitting there waiting for the game to begin, and I happen to glance at the clock.  6:57.  Sheesh, it's almost 7... where has my Sunday gone...?

Wait, what???

IT'S ALMOST 7:00!!!

Holy sheet... I bet I missed it!  I fire up Chrome and navigate to daBay.  I go to my WatchList.  The poker window pops up, as the game is starting.  I click it away and back to my WatchList.  I get to the listing and click on it...  14 seconds remaining!  Still at $39!  I quickly type "50" in the box and hit "Place Bid."  It whirs and brings up the confirmation...  4 seconds left...  I hit "Confirm."  3... 2... 1...  and it's mine for $41!

Whew!!!  It all happened just that fast.  I was literally 30 seconds away from missing a deal I've been waiting for the last six months!

So I can only give you the daBay pics, as it obviously hasn't arrived yet.  Looks like some significant spine wear, but otherwise presentable at the price.  So both books that I have hardly ever even seen listed under $100 each--for a grand total of $100.50 including tax and shipping for both!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

That leaves only the Blazing Combat Anthology, Heidi Saha, and House of Horror of the Warren Special Editions, the After Hours and HELP! full runs, and Comix International #3 (missed one of those this weekend by $1, too)--and of course Famous Monsters of Filmland, if I ever get around to them--to complete my full set of Warren publications!

I'm stoked!