• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update: Now I’m all in on Miles Morales. Is the Fresh Prince’ kid going to hurt me?
3 3

116 posts in this topic

Same old thread, new viewpoint at bottom of thread.

Hey guys,

It's been years since I've collected modern, but I'm finding myself interested in Miles Morales.  I've seen the movie Into the Spiderverse a couple of times and I really liked his character.  I feel his inner-city perspective makes for an interesting angle.  So I splurged and bought a second print of his first appearance and I'm going to pick up an Ultimate Spiderman 1 (2011).

So what I'm trying to figure out is where he fits in the Marvel Universe (official cannon), and what his future holds.  It came out in 2011 and his early appearances, so I'm hopeful I made a wise purchase.

So is this a fire that will continue to burn?  Or will it fizzle?   Seems you couldn't have two Batmans, but you can have two Flashes.  What does the future hold for Miles Morales?.

Edited by Westy Steve

On 3/8/2022 at 5:39 PM, Westy Steve said:

Hey guys,

It's been years since I've collected modern, but I'm finding myself interested in Miles Morales.  I've seen the movie Into the Spiderverse a couple of times and I really liked his character.  I feel his inner-city perspective makes for an interesting angle.  So I splurged and bought a second print of his first appearance and I'm going to pick up an Ultimate Spiderman 1 (2011).

So what I'm trying to figure out is where he fits in the Marvel Universe (official cannon), and what his future holds.  It came out in 2011 and his early appearances, so I'm hopeful I made a wise purchase.

So is this a fire that will continue to burn?  Or will it fizzle?   Seems you couldn't have two Batmans, but you can have two Flashes.  What does the future hold for Miles Morales?.

From an investment perspective, nothing will ever trump the original run. Steer clear of anything with too many graded copies. 

On 3/8/2022 at 7:52 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I think UF 4 will have another run-up, so buying a copy now isn’t the worst idea. 

It seems cheap relative to what it could be.  Since you’re watching the trends is it slowly rising? Contracting? Just curious.  I’ve seen these books at a lot of shows but never really looked at prices. 

Edited by Westy Steve

On 3/8/2022 at 8:11 AM, Westy Steve said:

It seems cheap relative to what it could be.  Since you’re watching the trends is it slowly rising? Contracting? Just curious.  I’ve seen these books at a lot of shows but never really looked at prices. 

The Spider-Verse is open for business and anything is possible at this point. I think Miles has a very bright future. My kids are 10 and 13 and to them, Miles Morales is Spider-Man. They are well aware of who Peter Parker is but for them, it is easier to relate to Miles. I think once Miles is introduced into the MCU or the Sony Spider-Verse, this book will take another big jump up.

On 3/8/2022 at 8:11 AM, Westy Steve said:

It’s been a little stagnant this year.  

Not a ton of movement yet.  Just need some kind of announcement to send it soaring again. 

Lol, economic forecasts didn’t used to factor into my buying strategy, but now you have to consider it. Stagnant is good when I’m buying though.  

My thought is that comic prices were tied closely to the checks that the IRS was mailing us, and now that those stopped, the comic market is taking a breather, though it seems to be resting on its previous-noncrazy-2021 trajectory, so I have no fear of a collapse.  If the government responds to pain at the pump by giving out more free money, or (god forbid) fixes the root causes of high gas prices, we’ll be off to the races.  Thing is though, high energy prices affects everything, so all things, including comics, might keep going up regardless of how much extra spending money people have (or don’t have).  Smart people don’t keep their money in the bank!

Edited by Westy Steve

Well this was telling. Went to my local comic shop intent on buying a TPB or to pick up ANY back issues of Ultimate Spider-Man.  With the exception of a facsimile of UF4, not one shred of that storyline was available. The owner looked up Marvel Tales and nothing there either.  

I clearly have a problem. Money has been hemorrhaging from my bank account add an alarming rate. I have been gobbling up early and late issues of UC Spider-Man (finally found the stash at my LCS and bought them out), a second print UF4, made deal on a 1st print UF4, bought the TPB and watched Into the Spiderverse a couple more times. 

The thing is, I knew about this when it came out, I’ve seen these issues at shows, and watched the movie a few years ago.  Oddly, I started this before I found out the trailer for the Oct 2022 sequel movie dropped three months ago. 

I was trying to figure out where this obsession started, but I can’t put my finger on it. I think I just saw an ad for the book and the more I investigated it the more intrigued I was in the story is amazing. I figured I needed to grab some of this stuff before it got ridiculously expensive.

Miles Morales is not just a flash in the pan…he’s a permanent fixture, and there are a lot of people like me who aren’t paying attention to it.  Glad I figured it out..my collecting and reading has been enriched.  

Edited by Westy Steve

On 3/12/2022 at 5:09 PM, Westy Steve said:

I clearly have a problem. Money has been hemorrhaging from my bank account add an alarming rate.

Just wait until you discover how many of those books had a newsstand edition that only pops up once or twice a year. :devil:

OK guys so I’ve been on a buying spree, picking up early Miles Morales issues right and left. I figure he’s not going away, and the early stories are great…haven’t read the newer stuff yet. 

So now there is a strong rumor going around that Will Smith’s kid may actually have landed of the role of Miles in a live action role. Reviews are mixed. Some people don’t think that a kid raised in Belair can do the job. On the other hand twilight vampires can be Batman and do a good job.

Is this going to kill the value of my latest purchases or help them?  I mean, live action is good, right?  Timing has never been my strong suit. 

Second unrelated question:  I ran across a issue #6 of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man still in the poly bag. Were all the direct editions like that?

Edited by Westy Steve