• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update: Now I’m all in on Miles Morales. Is the Fresh Prince’ kid going to hurt me?
3 3

116 posts in this topic

I can see UF4 outpacing TWD1 under the right circumstances (which is why I’m gobbling this stuff up).  I have a friend who knows almost nothing about Comics. But I was surprised to hear he knows who Miles Morales is because his nephews own a PlayStation and it’s their favorite game.  There is a giant company that makes money off of the character and has a vested interest in consumers not forgetting who Miles Morales is.  They will promote whichever Spiderman makes them money and you’ll see him in the toy aisle at Walmart.

Rattling on, I’m kind of surprised the first issue of his first series isn’t more expensive. Nobody is saying it, but it could be described as “origin, first full appearance“ even if UF4 (apparently) isn’t considered a cameo.  Again…I own UF4, but his story was one of multiple story lines.  

Anyway, my feeling is MM Is obviously not a flash in the pan, and given the value relative to the short amount of time he’s been around, he’ll be a star of the modern age and will be compared to TWD. 

Edited by Westy Steve

On 3/18/2022 at 5:13 PM, Westy Steve said:

I can see UF4 outpacing TWD1 under the right circumstances (which is why I’m gobbling this stuff up).  I have a friend who knows almost nothing about Comics. But I was surprised to hear he knows who Miles Morales is because his nephews own a PlayStation and it’s their favorite game.  There is a giant company that makes money off of the character and has a vested interest in consumers not forgetting who Miles Morales is.  They will promote whichever Spiderman makes them money and you’ll see him in the toy aisle at Walmart.

Rattling on, I’m kind of surprised the first issue of his first series isn’t more expensive. Nobody is saying it, but it could be described as “origin, first full appearance“ even if UF4 (apparently) isn’t considered a cameo.  Again…I own UF4, but his story was one of multiple story lines.  

Anyway, my feeling is MM Is obviously not a flash in the pan, and given the value relative to the short amount of time he’s been around, he’ll be a star of the modern age and will be compared to TWD. 

You may also ne interested in spider-man summer special as well, it's not a 1st or anything, it's a preview, but may be up your alley (thumbsu

On 3/19/2022 at 3:33 AM, D2 said:

If Jaden Smith is the new Miles Morales, that is a total dumpster fire. 

There is no coming back from this. Sell everything. 

Not sure how I feel about this casting choice.  It does seem as though Will appreciates the importance of taking up the Spidey mantle though.  Hopefully Jaden takes it seriously if the role becomes his. 

On 3/19/2022 at 9:58 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Not sure how I feel about this casting choice.  It does seem as though Will appreciates the importance of taking up the Spidey mantle though.  Hopefully Jaden takes it seriously if the role becomes his. 

I feel as though Will Smith has been one of the most charismatic people in Hollywood within the last 30 years. 

Not all of his movies are hits, but you can count on him to give a genuine performance. 

It confuses me how Jaden missed that. Unfortunately Jaden does not possess the one element that made his father a star. 

I liked Jaden in Pursuit of Happyness and in the Karate Kid remake but neither role required him to be charming. 

It just feels like Jaden is more interested in being an icon than he is about the craft. I think you phrased it perfectly. I don’t know if he knows how to take it seriously. 

Edited by D2

On 3/19/2022 at 10:14 AM, D2 said:

I feel as though Will Smith has been one of the most charismatic people in Hollywood within the last 30 years. 

Not all of his movies are hits, but you can count on him to give a genuine performance. 

It confuses me how Jaden missed that. Unfortunately Jaden does not possess the one element that made his father a star. 

I liked Jaden in Pursuit of Happyness and in the Karate Kid remake but neither role required him to be charming. 

It just feels like Jaden is more interested in being an icon than he is about the craft. I think you phrased it perfectly. I don’t know if he knows how to take it seriously. 

I'm sure part of it is because he feels "annointed." I obviously don't know the kid, so I don't want to paint him with an unfair brush. But Will had to bust his butt to build himself into what he is - his son, not so much. As a parent of teenagers, I see the entitlement creep through from time to time, and we work hard to squash that - and our kids are not the products of movie stars. It just seems to be a generational thing. They see "instant" success on social media and they feel like they deserve that too, but they don't understand what exactly goes into it for many. It's difficult to fault them, but it's important to educate them. Not saying Will and Jada are bad parents, but it must be difficult on an entirely other level when your family is always in the spotlight. I hope if he gets it he can take it seriously and really lean into it, and I hope people like Tom Holland and Zendaya can mentor him and help him along the path (even if they don't have anything to do with a live-action Miles movie, I could see them stepping up to offer guidance, they seem to understand the relationship between the fans and the material, and they both seem like fine actors and professionals).

On 3/19/2022 at 7:28 PM, Jaydogrules said:

What an absurdly over valued and over rated book and character.  

(Sorry , somebody had to say it :fear:)

-J.

I will buy that if you can name another character with a first appearance and origin this inexpensive with one movie made, at least two more promised (because the October release is Part One), a video game, action figures and cartoon appearances. He’s popular. 

On 3/19/2022 at 5:03 PM, Westy Steve said:

I will buy that if you can name another character with a first appearance and origin this inexpensive with one movie made, at least two more promised (because the October release is Part One), a video game, action figures and cartoon appearances. He’s popular. 

I can name 3- nyx 3, BA 12 and NM 98

*edit - make that 4-  EOSV 2. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

I  give you NM98.  There were about 1 billion copies of those printed. I don’t think the other two characters have that much interest as lead characters.  But those were decent examples. I will grant you that.

I do think production run plays a big factor in pricing and I almost mentioned that in my previous post but elected not to. 

On 3/19/2022 at 5:17 PM, Westy Steve said:

I  give you NM98.  There were about 1 billion copies of those printed. I don’t think the other two characters have that much interest as lead characters.  But those were decent examples. I will grant you that.

I do think production run plays a big factor in pricing and I almost mentioned that in my previous post but elected not to. 

If you look at 9.8 population they are comparable.   The fact that the book is even (allegedly) sniffing WD 1 , is in itself, prima facia evidence to me that there is some market manipulation going on.  

-J.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:20 PM, Jaydogrules said:

If you look at 9.8 population they are comparable.   The fact that the book is even (allegedly) sniffing WD 1 , is in itself, prima facia evidence to me that there is some market manipulation going on.  

-J.

In 9.4, BA12 is more expensive, NYX3 is about the same, and overproduced NM98 is significantly less.  This implies that UF4 is where it should be, except that Spider-Man is a flagship title. Which characters will be found in the Walmart toy aisle in 5 years?

On 3/19/2022 at 5:26 PM, Westy Steve said:

In 9.4, BA12 is more expensive, NYX3 is about the same, and overproduced NM98 is significantly less.  This implies that UF4 is where it should be, except that Spider-Man is a flagship title. Which characters will be found in the Walmart toy aisle in 5 years?

I added EoSV 2.  

The value of that book tells me UF is being messed with.   Both characters will be in the same amount of cartoons. 

UF 4 has TONS in 9.8 compatible to NM 98.  It should maybe be 2k tops. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 3/19/2022 at 8:29 PM, Jaydogrules said:

I added EoSV 2.  

The value of that book tells me UF is being messed with.   Both characters will be in the same amount of cartoons. 

UF 4 has TONS in 9.8 compatible to NM 98.  It should maybe be 2k tops. 

-J.

I’d say Miles is bringing Spider-Gwen along for the ride.(shrug)

On 3/19/2022 at 8:53 PM, Jaydogrules said:

That's kind of mincing words.  From the first trailer she even seems to be the dominant character.  

-J.

You’ve convinced me I need to get a EoSV 2 to compliment my UF 4 while they’re still relatively cheap.