• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update: Now I’m all in on Miles Morales. Is the Fresh Prince’ kid going to hurt me?
3 3

116 posts in this topic

Personally I would take WD 1 over Miles but then I loved the TV series when it first came out. But truthfully I can see UF4 only going up..with second animated film coming up it will introduce him to more kids/parents.. they’ll go watch first film if they haven’t already seen it.

I mean I get the argument, that Peter Parker IS Spider-Man but Miles is the new one with the new stories that are easily picked up from the shops, the old Spider-Man comics from even before some of our age aren’t as easy to get hold of and read.

On 3/21/2022 at 2:49 PM, Jaydogrules said:

At last we agree on something! Lol

Yeah I really love the whole "morales is the younger generation spider-man" nonsense. 

I'm pretty sure a lot more of the "younger generation" has been seeing spder-man in the MCU the last several years , including the most recent movie that's made nearly two billion dollars, then have that low budget cartoon that came out (that also featured real spider-man and multiple other derivatives).  

-J.

Morales is the more accessible and affordable character though. 

On 3/22/2022 at 5:49 AM, Jaydogrules said:

At last we agree on something! Lol

Yeah I really love the whole "morales is the younger generation spider-man" nonsense. 

I'm pretty sure a lot more of the "younger generation" has been seeing spder-man in the MCU the last several years , including the most recent movie that's made nearly two billion dollars, then have that low budget cartoon that came out (that also featured real spider-man and multiple other derivatives).  

-J.

Whether Miles is a derivative or not, the character has caught on. He's cooler than Peter Parker and is completely devoid of the expectations. Yeah, he may not ever be more popular than Peter Parker, but who cares? 

Investing in Miles' grails and keys now is a low risk move. People have accepted him as a legitimate character, prices as a result are being accepted at higher levels without steep declines (the tell-tale sign of pump and dump speculation). If Miles' UF4 prices were being studied by stock traders, they would see a clear staircase leading up over years, which is a sign of quality.

I don't care what people say, study the price charts. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's going to drop in price because people want it to. In fact, it will probably do the opposite as everyone is waiting for the dip. This is the exact reason for staircases in price charts. At the moment, people are petrified that inflation will destroy comic prices. While there may be some fluctuation, I think people are going to be left in the dust with Miles, especially his early keys that are a little more afforable.

Over the last week I've seen Ultimate Comics Spiderman 1 (Miles' origin) go for $940 USD and $1100 USD on ebay and mycomic shop. I think his more affordable earlier keys are rising in value and keys from the current run are definitely increasing in price (because of the introduction of legit new characters and villians).

Seeing Miles Morales Ultimate Spiderman 1 Staples variant CGC 9.4 and Ultimate Comics Spiderman 1 (Miles' origin) CGC 9.8 going for 50-100% above FMV (in the last 7 days) can give you an idea about how people value Miles.

Edited by James42

Hey while we’re on the subject of his early keys, etc. can anyone tell me whether issues 2 through 28 of his first series were sold in poly bags like the number one issue was? I bought a number six like that. I’m wondering if they were all like that?  or only some? or what?

for what it’s worth, I do think initially the Jaden Smith announcement may have caused prices to stumble or hiccup for a bit, but they have resumed. With no further rumors, and even an unfounded counter rumor that he might be playing Static Shock, the book seems to be smoothing out it’s climb.

On 3/21/2022 at 9:07 PM, Westy Steve said:

Hey while we’re on the subject of his early keys, etc. can anyone tell me whether issues 2 through 28 of his first series were sold in poly bags like the number one issue was? I bought a number six like that. I’m wondering if they were all like that?  or only some? or what?

for what it’s worth, I do think initially the Jaden Smith announcement may have caused prices to stumble or hiccup for a bit, but they have resumed. With no further rumors, and even an unfounded counter rumor that he might be playing Static Shock, the book seems to be smoothing out it’s climb.

Yes, issue #6 was polybagged including the newsstand (which I was able to find and buy sealed ).  

I agree that TWD was great as I have watched the show and purchased a lot of the comics, but unfortunately, when the show ends - all interest, except for the die-hard fans, will end.  The show is stagnant and so are the comic books.

As far as Miles is concerned, he's just getting started.  Oh and :baiting: JayDog, calling an Academy Award winning animation film 'low budget' is pure old man, get-off-my-lawn buffoonery.  Looks like Miles Morales is going to p*ss you off for a long, LONG time.  Let's see, a Marvel main-stay Spider-Man with headline potential vs. an Image main-stay that is a TV show - yeah, give me Miles all day. 

Oh, and Marvel, don't let Jaden Smith be Miles Morales.  He's no Dallas Dupree Young (Cobra Kai) - hint, hint.

On 3/22/2022 at 5:30 PM, Pittsburgh said:

Yes, issue #6 was polybagged including the newsstand (which I was able to find and buy sealed ).  

I agree that TWD was great as I have watched the show and purchased a lot of the comics, but unfortunately, when the show ends - all interest, except for the die-hard fans, will end.  The show is stagnant and so are the comic books.

As far as Miles is concerned, he's just getting started.  Oh and :baiting: JayDog, calling an Academy Award winning animation film 'low budget' is pure old man, get-off-my-lawn buffoonery.  Looks like Miles Morales is going to p*ss you off for a long, LONG time.  Let's see, a Marvel main-stay Spider-Man with headline potential vs. an Image main-stay that is a TV show - yeah, give me Miles all day. 

Oh, and Marvel, don't let Jaden Smith be Miles Morales.  He's no Dallas Dupree Young (Cobra Kai) - hint, hint.

The interesting thing to me with Miles is that he's often marketed as "Miles Morales." Like, by now, most people know that Peter Parker is Spider-Man, Clark Kent is Superman, Bruce Wayne is Batman, etc. But usually when they're marketed, especially to non-comic-nerds, they're marketed as the super hero, not the "alter-ego." But Miles is often marketed as Miles Morales - Spider-Man, because there's a cultural aspect to the Miles character and his Afro-Latino heritage. This could be important for a few reasons - it could gain fans who might ultimately have a better familiarity with the character of Miles himself as opposed to just Spider-Man, it could draw in new fans/readers who feel a greater sense of identification with the character, and it could act as a historical/cultural touchstone when we're (hopefully) talking about this character and this specific book - Ultimate Fallout 4 - 20-30 years from now. For me, that is enough reason to bet on Miles' staying power and the potential long-term value of this book.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 3/22/2022 at 7:05 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

The interesting thing to me with Miles is that he's often marketed as "Miles Morales." Like, by now, most people know that Peter Parker is Spider-Man, Clark Kent is Superman, Bruce Wayne is Batman, etc. But usually when they're marketed, especially to non-comic-nerds, they're marketed as the super hero, not the "alter-ego." But Miles is often marketed as Miles Morales - Spider-Man, because there's a cultural aspect to the Miles character and his Afro-Latino heritage. This could be important for a few reasons - it could gain fans who might ultimately have a better familiarity with the character of Miles himself as opposed to just Spider-Man, it could draw in new fans/readers who feel a greater sense of identification with the character, and it could act as a historical/cultural touchstone when we're (hopefully) talking about this character and this specific book - Ultimate Fallout 4 - 20-30 years from now. For me, that is enough reason to bet on Miles' staying power and the potential long-term value of this book.

Interesting view. I was still hoping gpthat spider gwen would develop, but I dont own it yet.

Moderns period I still find myself lax, even though some are good reads :(

On 3/22/2022 at 7:11 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Interesting view. I was still hoping gpthat spider gwen would develop, but I dont own it yet.

Moderns period I still find myself lax, even though some are good reads :(

I don't own a Spider-Gwen either - I've looked at it, but I have other stuff I want right now. I overpaid (at the time anyway) for a 9.2 UF4 - I just wanted in on that book and I missed the first few boats, but I decided I had to get in at a price and a grade I was reasonably comfortable with. At going rates I'm definitely not losing money, and I feel like this is a book that will rise in the long term across most grades - for all the reasons I said, plus I think Miles has long-term staying power, and we haven't even seen a live-action movie yet. Plus Comichron estimates about 93,000 copies exist for UF4 first print between the cover A and the variant. That's a relatively low-ish print run for such a strong first appearance.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 3/22/2022 at 7:20 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I don't own a Spider-Gwen either - I've looked at it, but I have other stuff I want right now. I overpaid (at the time anyway) for a 9.2 UF4 - I just wanted in on that book and I missed the first few boats, but I decided I had to get in at a price and a grade I was reasonably comfortable with. At going rates I'm definitely not losing money, and I feel like this is a book that will rise in the long term across most grades - for all the reasons I said, plus I think Miles has long-term staying power, and we haven't even seen a live-action movie yet. Plus Comichron estimates about 93,000 copies exist for UF4 first print between the cover A and the variant. That's a relatively low-ish print run for such a strong first appearance.

Indeed, I'm glad I didn't put uf4 off.

I put off spider-gwen, as the market was new, and I'm still not sure. I should be but it's quite expensive for a modern.

I got the silk and gwen pool, so I'm more than half way there. Idk why I can still be on the fence lol

Sometimes I can be stubborn, I'm just trying to be thankful and grateful, more.  :x

Early keys like Ultimate Comics Spiderman 2, 3, 4, 5  as well as Miles Morales: Utlimate Spiderman 1, 2 and 3 (in the variants) have barely any submissions on the CGC census.

Considering what the Miles Morales character could be and the importance of these books, you can pick some of these up at very affordable prices.

Last fall I did pickup both the second prints of UF4, the Bagley in 9.8 and the Picheli in 9.6. Now I'm sitting back thinking that I do need to get the first print in at least a 9.6 before the prices start climbing again. Some think that Miles may not amount to much, but I do see him as this generations Spiderman. Marvel will probably never retire Peter, but they will always have both co-exist in some capacity or another. Like the original poster, I was going back trying to get many of his key back issues and I even have hopped on getting a few of UF3 as you know some may look at that book if they can't afford UF4 and could get a nice little bump.

On 3/23/2022 at 9:34 PM, captainzombie said:

Like the original poster, I was going back trying to get many of his key back issues and I even have hopped on getting a few of UF3 as you know some may look at that book if they can't afford UF4 and could get a nice little bump.

What's in UF3? A cameo or an ad or something like that?

On 3/25/2022 at 11:38 AM, captainzombie said:

It’s just a cameo on one panel that shows him from the chest down at the end of the book.

Is this what’s in the book?hm

B12116A5-FD12-4E71-B968-4D54E1245E65.jpeg.1f116a8417ff9dcde98dea6a5a834cb9.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER