• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update: Now I’m all in on Miles Morales. Is the Fresh Prince’ kid going to hurt me?
3 3

116 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2022 at 10:04 PM, Westy Steve said:

I want an EoSV2 also, but there are no good deals on first prints.  I’ve been meaning to look up the print run on that one. 

Slabbed 9.4 around $600

It’s a pass for me right now 

On 3/8/2022 at 1:39 AM, Westy Steve said:

Same old thread, new viewpoint at bottom of thread.

Hey guys,

It's been years since I've collected modern, but I'm finding myself interested in Miles Morales.  I've seen the movie Into the Spiderverse a couple of times and I really liked his character.  I feel his inner-city perspective makes for an interesting angle.  So I splurged and bought a second print of his first appearance and I'm going to pick up an Ultimate Spiderman 1 (2011).

So what I'm trying to figure out is where he fits in the Marvel Universe (official cannon), and what his future holds.  It came out in 2011 and his early appearances, so I'm hopeful I made a wise purchase.

[...]

I really had the same reaction watching the Spiderverse movie some three years back. Miles was a fresh take on the Spider-Man mythos, arguably even more relatable than Peter Parker for kids, and my son and I both loved him. I thought he was a real slamdunk as a character, and regret not picking up his first appearance back then.

On 3/19/2022 at 11:26 PM, Point Five said:

I really had the same reaction watching the Spiderverse movie some three years back. Miles was a fresh take on the Spider-Man mythos, arguably even more relatable than Peter Parker for kids, and my son and I both loved him. I thought he was a real slamdunk as a character, and regret not picking up his first appearance back then.

I loved Into the Spider-verse, despite it’s not so subtle retirement party theme for old man Parker.   

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 3/19/2022 at 8:17 PM, Westy Steve said:

I  give you NM98.  There were about 1 billion copies of those printed. I don’t think the other two characters have that much interest as lead characters.  But those were decent examples. I will grant you that.

I do think production run plays a big factor in pricing and I almost mentioned that in my previous post but elected not to. 

So you said, I’d buy that if…

then when you are given many examples, you still don’t agree. Lol!

Really…

:facepalm:

On 3/18/2022 at 10:22 AM, lostboys said:

Does anyone expect it to outpace TWD issue 1? 

TWD 1 in a 9.6 is going for almost 2K right now.

UF4 in a 9.6 is going for around $1400.

TWD has movies coming out eventually.

Me personally I would take a Walking Dead all day long. Just more of a iconic book to me. UF I think will fizzle out at some point...kind of like New Mutants 98. Bottom line is he will never replace the original Spiderman and also I think there is plenty of copies out there floating around. I know some people that have stacks of this book. The variant is really cool though and should hold up since its the more rare version. Miles is an awesome character, but If Deadpool and Carnage cooled off a bit then I can definitely see the Miles hype cooling off. 

Heh, could be another thread topic, but I think we, as a group, take too much stock in the very last sale. The problem  with that is it doesn’t consider liberal grades, bad wraps, or good things like perfect wraps and great color. 

I was watching a YouTube video by Reggie the other day

and he was saying the whole market was collapsing and he cited 4 or 5 examples of popular books. What was interesting is he based it on drops in the 9.8 grade range even though every single example was rising in the VF range. I actually wrote a response to his video (which I never do) to point out that the two markets were somewhat different.  It’s a different kind of person to pay double for extremely minute improvement.  I will take a 9.6 when I can get it, and a 9.8 if the book is cheap, but IMHO, the health of the overall market for more expensive books should be gauged by 9.4.  I have no idea how UF4 is doing in 9.4. 

Edited by Westy Steve

On 3/20/2022 at 1:59 PM, Westy Steve said:

It’s a different kind of person to pay double for extremely minute improvement.  I will take a 9.6 when I can get it, and a 9.8 if the book is cheap, but IMHO, the health of the overall market for more expensive books should be gauged by 9.4.  I have no idea how UF4 is doing in 9.4. 

This month 

AF4CBAE5-DF84-492A-BB13-AFFF056785C1.jpeg.7978eb0682d1d2c78c5432a0a8f84692.jpeg

Book has been pretty stagnant this year thus far 

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 3/20/2022 at 10:58 AM, eastbayrudy said:

Me personally I would take a Walking Dead all day long. Just more of a iconic book to me. UF I think will fizzle out at some point...kind of like New Mutants 98. Bottom line is he will never replace the original Spiderman and also I think there is plenty of copies out there floating around. I know some people that have stacks of this book. The variant is really cool though and should hold up since its the more rare version. Miles is an awesome character, but If Deadpool and Carnage cooled off a bit then I can definitely see the Miles hype cooling off. 

You are correct.  

Wd1 is BY FAR the more significant to the hobby, culturally significant, and with just about 20 TV seasons under its belt , with more coming, in addition to movies , I would say that WD 1 is the most important modern book printed, and even represents the beginning of what is the current Mosern (tv/movie hype speculation) Age of comics.

And hell, even IT cooled off for a couple few years.  UF 4 should never even sniff WD 1 in terms of value, ever, and it wouldn't if it wasn't being pumped and shilled all the time.  

-J.

I don’t see how a modern print run could be pumped and shilled when there are thousands of collectors buying and selling it.  Explain that. 

I agree WD1 is an important modern book that caught people off guard (low print runs)…even if almost all (or all?) of the original characters from the first issue are dead in the storyline.  With the show ending, it’s a definite sell, IMHO. But I can see Miles Morales being relevant 20 years from now as Marvel caters to more diverse groups of consumers. The books values will eventually flip flop if we’re being honest about long term potential (market corrections not withstanding). 

On 3/20/2022 at 4:36 PM, Westy Steve said:

But I can see Miles Morales being relevant 20 years from now as Marvel caters to more diverse groups of consumers.

It's interesting when you think about the "younger" options for the three biggest superheroes. 

The "younger" Superman is Superboy, first appearing in 1945 (expensive comic, More Fun #101).

The "younger" Batman is Robin, very expensive debut in Detective #38 (1940).

The "younger" Spider-Man (Miles) didn't come along until 2011, but as the decades pass, he could easily be as important (historically) as Superboy or maybe even Robin.

On 3/20/2022 at 4:36 PM, Westy Steve said:

I don’t see how a modern print run could be pumped and shilled when there are thousands of collectors speculators buying and selling it.  Explain that.

Fixed, which explains it.

The justification that is always given for the value of UF4 is that Miles is the Spider-Man for the younger generation. Even if that were actually true, are we really supposed to believe that it's kids paying hundreds or thousands of dollars now?

Do you know why Ultimate Spider-Man/Spider-Man 2099/Miles had/have success, at least for a short time? What do they have in common? They're all derivatives of the most popular comic book character!

On 3/20/2022 at 8:23 PM, Lazyboy said:

The justification that is always given for the value of UF4 is that Miles is the Spider-Man for the younger generation. Even if that were actually true, are we really supposed to believe that it's kids paying hundreds or thousands of dollars now?

Do you know why Ultimate Spider-Man/Spider-Man 2099/Miles had/have success, at least for a short time? What do they have in common? They're all derivatives of the most popular comic book character!

It is easier than ever for kids to make money, even at ages younger than one would traditionally be expected to start working or even legally allowed, and significant amounts of money at that. Go to a collectibles show and you will run into countless kids from pre-teens to college-age with far more money or "assets" than they typically had access to in the past, because they're adept at computers, video games, social media, crypto etc. and monetized that. And they put that money largely into stuff they know. 

Also, most popular characters these days are just derivatives of a pre-existing character, and this is a sea change that should be recognized and not an anomaly to be dismissed.    

On 3/20/2022 at 9:23 PM, Lazyboy said:

I think the interest of kids is ONE of the factors that affect price in most all expensive comics  I feel more secure spending $1,000 on a comic if I know that there are young collectors who want it and may someday buy it. My litmus test is whether there are toys available for it at Walmart.   You can find superman, Batman, TNMT, Spiderman, etc…all good first appearances.

This is, coincidentally, why I think UF4 and Ultimate Comics Spider-Man  #1 will both surpass WD1 eventually…because WD1 isn’t appealing to kids, and it will eventually be like Lone Ranger comics, but Miles Morales may (I said may) stay in the limelight for multiple generations. 

2E299C0A-726B-4CC5-8858-A3002720F422.png

Edited by Westy Steve

On 3/20/2022 at 6:23 PM, Lazyboy said:

At last we agree on something! Lol

Yeah I really love the whole "morales is the younger generation spider-man" nonsense. 

I'm pretty sure a lot more of the "younger generation" has been seeing spder-man in the MCU the last several years , including the most recent movie that's made nearly two billion dollars, then have that low budget cartoon that came out (that also featured real spider-man and multiple other derivatives).  

-J.

On 3/21/2022 at 3:49 PM, Jaydogrules said:

At last we agree on something! Lol

Yeah I really love the whole "morales is the younger generation spider-man" nonsense. 

I'm pretty sure a lot more of the "younger generation" has been seeing spder-man in the MCU the last several years , including the most recent movie that's made nearly two billion dollars, then have that low budget cartoon that came out (that also featured real spider-man and multiple other derivatives).  

-J.

Did you really not enjoy Into the Spiderverse?