• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

U.S. Manga Sales More Than Doubled In 2021 - NPD Reports Sales Up 160% in Units
2 2

62 posts in this topic

U.S. manga sales more than doubled (in units) in retailers tracked by NPD BookScan in 2021, according to initial topline info from the company.  Unit sales of manga in NPD-tracked accounts were 24.4 million units in 2021, up 15 million units from 2020, a growth rate of around 160%.  Due to a classification issue involving some titles of My Hero Academia, the actual number of manga units sold was likely larger for both years, which might have affected the growth rate somewhat.

Manga’s great year in 2021 is not a surprise; we’ve been seeing the category dominate in our monthly Top 20 Adult Graphic Novels charts, often accounting for most or all of the Top 20 (see, for example, December at "December 2021 NPD BookScan – Top 20 Adult Graphic Novels"). https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/50135/december-2021-npd-bookscan-top-20-adult-graphic-novels

We’ve also been seeing manga appear among the top sellers in comic stores, a rare appearance over the past decade (see, for example, "Top 20 Graphic Novels – December 2021").

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/50543/u-s-manga-sales-more-doubled-2021

I’m not surprised. There’s a lot of great stuff.

I’ve bought huge amounts of it in digital Humble Bundles, classic titles through to more modern or obscure, primarily Kodansha publications.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/11/2022 at 8:20 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I’m not surprised. There’s a lot of great stuff.

I’ve bought huge amounts of it in digital Humble Bundles, classic titles through to more modern or obscure, primarily Kodansha publications.

I'm currently reading Berserk and it's amazing. 

On 3/11/2022 at 5:17 PM, Prince Namor said:

I'm currently reading Berserk and it's amazing. 

Just discovered that the Dark Souls videogame series based much of its lore on this, so I’ll definitely look into the title.

On 3/15/2022 at 4:35 PM, Wolverinex said:

I am always wondering why it's so popular for genz

Went to Barnes and Noble few times with my kids.  Three long rows filled with manga books.  More than any TPBs everywhere.

Sometimes, I have back orders for them.

Edited by JollyComics

On 3/15/2022 at 5:27 PM, Wolverinex said:

Will you ask them what are the most popular ones?

Both wrote the list:

• My Hero Academia
  • Naruto
  • Dragon Ball Z
  • Haikyuu!
  • One Piece
  • Bleach
  • Demon Slayer

Also you can check this out:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-manga.php?top50=popular&n=100.

On 3/15/2022 at 5:58 PM, JollyComics said:
On 3/15/2022 at 5:27 PM, Wolverinex said:

Will you ask them what are the most popular ones?

Both wrote the list:

• My Hero Academia
  • Naruto
  • Dragon Ball Z
  • Haikyuu!
  • One Piece
  • Bleach
  • Demon Slayer

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-manga.php?top50=popular&n=100

I posted in this week in collection, but one punch man is a magna characer, he 1st appeared in fcbd, I want to say 2019? 16? I just acquired it, and am hopeful to have it graded :)

On 3/15/2022 at 6:04 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I posted in this week in collection, but one punch man is a magna characer, he 1st appeared in fcbd, I want to say 2019? 16? I just acquired it, and am hopeful to have it graded :)

May 2016

95594390_ScreenShot2022-03-15at6_14_28PM.png.ae1db8506088f88d603c122635199cb1.png

I found this info from GCD.

On 3/15/2022 at 6:17 PM, JollyComics said:

One Punch Man is now $150 or more.

Yep, mine may only be VF, but at LCS for $38 out the door :takeit:

I'll probably still have it graded and display proudly, based on my back from cgc today alone lol

I bought it mainly to show my brother, to be interested in his pastime, but I got only a grunt of approval lol

On 3/15/2022 at 6:58 PM, JollyComics said:

Both wrote the list:

• My Hero Academia
  • Naruto
  • Dragon Ball Z
  • Haikyuu!
  • One Piece
  • Bleach
  • Demon Slayer

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-manga.php?top50=popular&n=100.

Personally in high school rurouni kenshin was my favorite then berserk,yup berserk is old school but still awesome!there was everything in kenshin ,humour, action, historically almost accurate but with pages of insight from that meiji era so i learned while having a blast plus theres influences from american comics,reference to spawns cap ,gambit looks ,omega red style ect..worth a look:yeehaw:

On 3/15/2022 at 3:06 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Just discovered that the Dark Souls videogame series based much of its lore on this, so I’ll definitely look into the title.

Dark souls comics are on the rise but bloodbone comics is trough the roof for a modern comics(well for me it is anyway,to think its only à few years old)bloodborne 1 sells for more than 100$!when the bloodborne  hbo tv show gets out it will be even worst!

On 3/15/2022 at 7:42 PM, Namtak said:

Personally in high school rurouni kenshin was my favorite then berserk,yup berserk is old school but still awesome!there was everything in kenshin ,humour, action, historically almost accurate but with pages of insight from that meiji era so i learned while having a blast plus theres influences from american comics,reference to spawns cap ,gambit looks ,omega red style ect..worth a look:yeehaw:

I loved cowboy bebop but the ship has already sailed

On 3/15/2022 at 7:52 PM, Wolverinex said:

I loved cowboy bebop but the ship has already sailed

Was it manga?only saw the anime,didnt see the live action one yet,is it good?the monster born from the fridge episode is  always my go to episode:popcorn:

On 3/15/2022 at 7:57 PM, Namtak said:

Was it manga?only saw the anime,didnt see the live action one yet,is it good?the monster born from the fridge episode is  always my go to episode:popcorn:

I enjoyed it but a lot of people hated it.  The ending was a bit stupid because they changed it.  However, I thought it was pretty good ride.  

The cowboy bebop 1 was actually a comic book form of manga