• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Burning it at both ends....Show us your Candle books.
3 3

105 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2022 at 10:36 AM, Robot Man said:

Was waiting for @Tri-ColorBrian to post this since he always feels left out...:sorry:

But he didn't so I will. The first issue of MAD I ever saw and bought off the newsstand. And the one that got me into this crazy collecting disease...

mad72.jpg

I got busy and stopped looking for candle covers...but since you posted that Mad, I'll post a couple...

21240060396_48092ff757_c.jpg

22370397623_ac8d656b23_c.jpg

On 3/16/2022 at 1:36 PM, Robot Man said:

Was waiting for @Tri-ColorBrian to post this since he always feels left out...:sorry:

But he didn't so I will. The first issue of MAD I ever saw and bought off the newsstand. And the one that got me into this crazy collecting disease...

mad72.jpg

Today I finished listening to 10-Cent Plague, The Great Comic Book Scare and How it Changed America, by David Hajdu. Fascinating history of early comic books.
A good deal of the book discusses the roots of MAD Magazine owners, editors and artists. Stan Lee and others also referenced, of course.

It was a good listen!

Edit: A lot of books on this thread are referenced in the book. America was not ready for the true crime, blood and sexual renderings. There were many book burnings during this Red Scare era. Post-1955 MAD Magazine thrived but many of the relics (Tales from the Crypt, all EC Comics…) closed shop.  Obviously, your books are very rare and extremely valuable! (As I’m sure y’all know!) I’ll keep an eye out if there are sellers of such rarity.

6B4BD09C-DF40-4EFA-B4E2-94C694EC4063.png

Edited by GrasshopperFF