• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seriously???
2 2

118 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2022 at 7:53 PM, AJD said:

I think this previously belonged to a boardie well known for his changeable views on his all-time treasured possessions.

Hmmm . . . the first person who came to mind with that description was Jeff Meyer, but I have no idea whether that's who you're talking about.

I don’t get the issue with this 🤷‍♂️. It’s a small part of the Holies of Holy. Would the rear view mirror off a 10 million dollar vintage Ferrari not still be worth thousands? Would a small piece from the Mona Lisa or the US Constitution not be worth a stupid amount of money still? Why would the iconic #1 from the cover of Action 1 not be worth what it sold for? How many times has anyone seen a solo cover for Action 1 or any kind of part of it go up for sale? I can’t think of more than once I believe. And why would it be soo surprising that CGC would promote the sale, being how impressive it was? I just don’t get it lol.

On 3/19/2022 at 5:09 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I don’t get the issue with this 🤷‍♂️. It’s a small part of the Holies of Holy. Would the rear view mirror off a 10 million dollar vintage Ferrari not still be worth thousands? Would a small piece from the Mona Lisa or the US Constitution not be worth a stupid amount of money still? Why would the iconic #1 from the cover of Action 1 not be worth what it sold for? How many times has anyone seen a solo cover for Action 1 or any kind of part of it go up for sale? I can’t think of more than once I believe. And why would it be soo surprising that CGC would promote the sale, being how impressive it was? I just don’t get it lol.

I'm curious where it came from. Who cut it off of a cover? Was somebody doing major restoration on an Action one by adding pieces and figured he could cut the original "No. 1" off and just add that much more to the restored book? Are restorers going to be cutting up Action 1 covers now to be shared between multiple coverless copies so that each restored copy has part of an Action 1 cover because somebody decided that doing that is more profitable?

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 3/19/2022 at 6:10 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm curious where it came from. Who cut it off of a cover? Was somebody doing major restoration on an Action one by adding pieces and figure he cut the original "No. 1" off and just add that much more to the restored book? Are restorers going to be cutting up Action 1 covers now to be shared between multiple coverless copies so that each restored copy has part of an Action 1 cover because somebody decided that doing that is more profitable?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superman-homemade-golden-age-stories-bound-volumes-dc-1938-40-condition-average-vg-total-5-items-/a/7073-91227.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

On 3/19/2022 at 10:07 PM, szav said:

OK! I'm glad to know that it wasn't cut off by a recent restorer.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 3/20/2022 at 5:50 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Hmmm . . . the first person who came to mind with that description was Jeff Meyer, but I have no idea whether that's who you're talking about.

I guess I shouldn't be so cryptic. I just recall Wayne-Tec coming back a few times with boundless enthusiasm for something... only to move it on a few months later for something else, equally enthusiastically. (I'm not being critical, it just struck me as the opposite of what I tend to do!)

On 3/19/2022 at 7:25 PM, Point Five said:

Seems to me that if some unscrupulous fellow had a Detective #11 and an xacto knife, he could really clean up... hey, hold on just a second here...  hm

tec11.jpg.db86fd50f045daa0efc8fb73becfd0d5.jpg

You know it’s close, but looking at the minute details I could see one somewhat distinct difference. Enough to tell them a part atleast, but it’s certainly close lol

On 3/20/2022 at 2:25 AM, Point Five said:

Seems to me that if some unscrupulous fellow had a Detective #11 and an xacto knife, he could really clean up... hey, hold on just a second here...  hm

tec11.jpg.db86fd50f045daa0efc8fb73becfd0d5.jpg

See post 14 on page 1 :cheers:

On 3/20/2022 at 3:49 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

You know it’s close, but looking at the minute details I could see one somewhat distinct difference. Enough to tell them a part atleast, but it’s certainly close lol

Eh, close enough for ebay. :whatev: 

On 3/20/2022 at 11:45 AM, Point Five said:

Doh! Props to you! Totally missed that. lol 

Great minds :bigsmile:

I'm still smarting from missing "a piece of the action"