• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seriously???
2 2

118 posts in this topic

On 3/21/2022 at 9:08 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Aww ok interesting. I guess the distance between them wouldn't matter as much, since the 2nd would be cut off anyway. Unless you mean the distance between the 1 and the 11 in connection to "No." But yeah, I'll take a closer look at the book space part.

No, if it was a Dectective 11 in that slab, you'd be able to see the top tip of the second 1 given the amount of cover available to the right of the first 1. Wait for pictures if I'm not making sense :grin:

Here we go.

See how much cover there is to the rightof the 1 in the Action #1:

act1.16328.jpg.4a6900d26ae24db53acd5874076ce108.jpg

If it was a Dectective #11, I think we'd be able to see a part of the second 1 - the top tip perhaps - like so:

4CEE3BB0-8292-4F37-88F0-ADDEF20E22A6.thumb.jpeg.c076ec34b0c3e1d605f384c39a3f26a5.jpeg.26a9e52f28799631421658f6ca230149.jpeg

Edited by Get Marwood & I
Added pics

On 3/21/2022 at 9:56 PM, Point Five said:

OK, I’m convinced! The Detective #11 thing will never work.

[quietly glues piece back onto Tec #11 cover]

With us. It will never work with us. On current form though, CGC would likely slab the trimmed number of a Marvel Team-Up #54 as an Action #1. 

On 3/21/2022 at 5:10 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

No, if it was a Dectective 11 in that slab, you'd be able to see the top tip of the second 1 given the amount of cover available to the right of the first 1. Wait for pictures if I'm not making sense :grin:

Yes, but you could just cut it closer to the first numeral 1, right?

On 3/21/2022 at 9:59 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Yes, but you could just cut it closer to the first numeral 1, right?

Of course. But the o will still give you away. On the copy we're discussing, we have o and 1 distance.

hm

I can't believe I'm typing this shzit lol

Yeah, pretty ridiculous if you ask me...  The seller made out like a bandit with this transaction that's for sure, like taking candy from a baby.  I really want to know the thought process of the bidders as to why they think this is worth over a grand.  I still can't wrap my head around it..  Maybe they are paying for the CGC label because it says "Action Comics #1 from 1938?"  

Speaking of CGC, they should really stop slabbing ridiculous things like this, it just lowers their standards.  It seems like a lot of people are joking around about it like we are now on this board and it comes off as a bad look for CGC in my opinion.  Heck, they don't even have the proper case size for something this small, all that dead space in there...  I guess if there is potentially $ to be made, why not?  Things like this should automatically be rejected for grading and encasing.  Will we see vintage staples being graded next now?  :facepalm:

On 3/21/2022 at 10:33 PM, Dark Knight said:

Yeah, pretty ridiculous if you ask me...  The seller made out like a bandit with this transaction that's for sure, like taking candy from a baby.  I really want to know the thought process of the bidders as to why they think this is worth over a grand.  I still can't wrap my head around it..  Maybe they are paying for the CGC label because it says "Action Comics #1 from 1938?"  

Speaking of CGC, they should really stop slabbing ridiculous things like this, it just lowers their standards.  It seems like a lot of people are joking around about it like we are now on this board and it comes off as a bad look for CGC in my opinion.  Heck, they don't even have the proper case size for something this small, all that dead space in there...  I guess if there is potentially $ to be made, why not?  Things like this should automatically be rejected for grading and encasing.  Will we see vintage staples being graded next now?  :facepalm:

Single panels? Or has that already happened?

On 3/21/2022 at 3:40 PM, Flex Mentallo said:
On 3/21/2022 at 3:33 PM, Dark Knight said:

Single panels? Or has that already happened?

I don't think I've seen one.  Single pages yes and even half or was it 1/3 of a cover from Action 1 too.  If anything what about CGC grading OA too?  

On 3/21/2022 at 10:46 PM, Dark Knight said:

I don't think I've seen one.  Single pages yes and even half or was it 1/3 of a cover from Action 1 too.  If anything what about CGC grading OA too?  

Or maybe someday, when the price is right, they'll encapsulate 1500 page DC and Marvel omnibi?

On 3/21/2022 at 3:33 PM, Dark Knight said:

Hey, you find me any part of the cover from an Action 1 without ripping it off a complete copy and we'll talk. Until then, it's worth every bit of that $7K haha. Also I don't have an issue with this being slabbed personally as it's just a unique, rare item. I don't think we're going to see stuff like this pop up left and right now. Or will we hm:insane:. If we do start seeing staples graded, I wonder what the OWL Card for staple colors would be haha.

OWL_Card_001__85532.1627512004.jpg

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 3/21/2022 at 8:46 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Hey, you find me any part of the cover from an Action 1 without ripping it off a complete copy and we'll talk. Until then, it's worth every bit of that $7K haha. Also I don't have an issue with this being slabbed personally as it's just a unique, rare item. I don't think we're going to see stuff like this pop up left and right now. Or will we hm:insane:. If we do start seeing staples graded, I wonder what the OWL Card for staple colors would be haha.

OWL_Card_001__85532.1627512004.jpg

I have been looking for my OWL card for quite a while now. I think I must have left it inside a comic book. I looked inside most of my comics, so I'm thinking that I might have left it inside on of the books that I submitted to CGC.  :tonofbricks:

Hey @The Lions Den, when you were a grader at CGC, did you ever find any OWL cards inside comic books? I don't mean that you would have found mine, obviously; I'm just curious whether that ever happened.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/4/2022 at 8:18 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I have been looking for my OWL card for quite a while now. I think I must have left it inside a comic book. I looked inside most of my comics, so I'm thinking that I might have left it inside on of the books that I submitted to CGC.  :tonofbricks:

Hey @The Lions Den, when you were a grader at CGC, did you ever find any OWL cards inside comic books? I don't mean that you would have found mine, obviously; I'm just curious whether that ever happened.

This sounds like a job for the Hardy Boys. "The Case of the Missing Owl Card".

On 4/4/2022 at 11:18 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I do seem to remember that happening once in a while...it brought back some fond memories.